Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

From Ypres To Zillebeke via Hooge

wpf1958

In Continuing & Grateful Memory

From Ypres To Zillebeke via Hooge

by Paul Foster, FRSA

I am pleased to announce the publication of my third book in the series ‘In Continuing & Grateful Memory – From Ypres to Zillebeke via Hooge. It covers twelve cemeteries from the town of Ypres, those along the Menin Road to Hooge and south those situated in Zillebeke:

Birr Cross Roads Cemetery

Hooge Crater Cemetery

Maple Copse Cemetery

Menin Road South Military Cemetery

Perth Cemetery (China Wall)

Ramparts Cemetery, Lille Gate

RE Grave, Railway Wood

Sanctuary Wood Cemetery

Tuileries British Cemetery

Ypres Reservoir Cemetery

Ypres Town Cemetery and Extension

Zillebeke Churchyard

Nearly 500 individuals are covered in the 550 page book that is illustrated throughout with photographs of the men, contemporary photographs and illustrations in black and white (although many in colour), with the majority of the maps and diagrams in colour. Of the individuals included in the publication are:

The six Victoria Cross winners — Captain Harold Ackroyd; 2nd Lieutenant Frederick Birks, Private Patrick Bugden, Captain ‘Rivs’ Colyer-Fergusson, Major William Johnston and Brigadier General Francis Maxwell.

The ten who were Shot At Dawn — Private Thomas Docherty, Private Ernest Fellows, Private Evan Fraser, Private Thomas Harris, Corporal Frederick Ives, Private Ernest Lawrence, Private Charles McColl, Private Thomas Moles, Private Louis Phillips and Private George Roe.

Four young boys, 15 year old Private Frederick Laing, and 16 year olds Private Herbert Dance, Private Patrick Finn and Rifleman Anthony O’Neill.

There are fifteen Olympians and international sportsmen, a wide range of the ‘establishment’ as so many died with the BEF in 1914, including HH Prince Maurice of Battenberg, and eight sets of brothers who lie buried together — these are only a few of the fascinating tales that are related in the book. Nigel Buckle reviewed the book and wrote: “The book is an essential when visiting the Ypres Salient. It was a revelation to read the fascinating stories of so many soldiers who lie buried in the cemeteries. For me, it brought the Salient alive once more.”

I am particularly delighted to have been able to include a page dedicated to my good friends John Giles, the Founder of The Western Front Association, and his wife Margery, with a lovely tribute written by their son, Howard. It is included in the chapter on Ramparts Cemetery, Lille Gate, where I took Margery to scatter some of John’s ashes.

The book and the other publications in the series are designed for the seasoned battlefield visitor to those who are visiting for the first time. The book is priced at £32.99, including postage and packing, an ideal gift to yourself, if not to others as well!

HOW TO ORDER

If you wish to order ‘From Ypres to Zillebeke via Hooge’ or any of my publications you can do so by emailing me at remembering@btinternet.com and I will send you the relevant connection for a PayPal payment by post to: Paul Foster, IC&GM, 15 Cress Way, Faversham, Kent ME13 7NH, together with a cheque payable to ‘W P Foster’ and the books will be sent as soon as the cheque has cleared.