Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Commemorated on War Memorials after 31 Aug 1921

judecowie@mac.com

Hi All

Are there any War Memorials that you know of that set a precedent where any men/women are commemorated after the cut-off date of 31 August 1921 - I have a couple of guys who died of wounds in 1922 which I would like to see on our War Memorial but the feeling is that they don't qualify purely on date - hence my request to see if others have "allowed" this.

Thanks

JC

Last inclusion on a shropshire memorial was 1927, and there are numerous post 1921 deaths on memorials around the county.

Regarding the cwgc cut off date, which you have above, I doubt this would enter the discussions of any memorial commitee. The cwgc had no authority when it came to community memorials.

Each town, village, etc had their own criterea and often memorials were already erected prior to 'later' deaths, hence their exclusion.

The parish of Binfield in Berkshire has two churches, each with a memorial.

St Mark's has a stone cross in the churchyard, with the name of John Canning Lethbridge Barnett added after his death in 1923.

All Saint's has a wooden triptych inside the church. The last entries on it are George Chapman (died 1923), and William Stuart Samson (died 1925).

Andrewr

Dudley's war memorial commemorates men who died in 1926, 1925 and 1924: they were sons of Dudley who died as a result of their war service, so who cared about an artificial date imposed by Authority? They took no notice of that when they built the memorial.

Why would local people have known of the cut off date for commemoration by the then IWGC, it seems a big assumption that they ignored an instruction that didn't exist.

I note your valid points which I will take to my village PCC - I trust/hope this will sway them to add the names of guys from the village who died.

We are not re-writing history here, but adding to it and correcting omissions. Does this sound OK?

I do have an opinion but I think you should follow your heart, there are differing opinions on here, some quite forceful, there is no definitive answer.

There may be reasons why the men were not added, such as family being opposed. I do not agree with changing them but the choice is of course yours and the PCC.

One of the Swanwick men who did die in WW1 was a Baptist and although he is mentioned on his parents headstone. he is not on the memorial. They did not want his name added for in their view a good reason. Therefore any changes without knowing the reason is changing history.

I just give the local people the information and leave it to them. I do of course add my comments but it ain't my village :rolleyes:

Best of luck

Steve

As stated above, who was to be named on war memorials was always a local decision, sometimes guided by family preference in the matter (it was not unknown for families to object to their loved ones' names being included). The last Anglesey WW1 casualty I have was a merchant seaman who died in 1931 or so, and was remembered by his local chapel.

Clive

Thanks again for your thoughts and opinions - I appreciate this is an emotive topic - I have done my research on those already on our War Memorial and it is members of the community, including family, albeit distant, who initially submitted the additional names - some died beyond the accepted end of the War and were not included (hence my initial post to see if other communities have added names for this reason) others are not so clear - there is one mother who lost both her sons, one is on the Memorial and one who isn't, although both were wounded around the same time, one died in 1919 and the other in 1922 - apparently she tried until the day she died to have her son included.

My feelings are that if names of the fallen are not recorded within their community - their names will be lost and forgotten. Others may not agree but I will follow my gut/heart on this issue.

Does anyone know of Yorkshire Memorials that have the dates from 1920 onwards? as I would love to visit these for photographic evidence.

Thanks again to you all

JC

JC

Whitwood memorial in Castleford has Joseph Herrington on it.Joseph was a tunneler who served all war came home went back to the pit and was injured in a pit accident and died of injury.

This was 1926 ,memorial was erected post that so he got included.Photos are online on Yorkshire indexers wiki.

Ady

Does anyone know of Yorkshire Memorials that have the dates from 1920 onwards? as I would love to visit these for photographic evidence.

Kirkburton war memorial includes a "B. Green" who died in 1924:

http://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/95017

http://www2.kirklees.gov.uk/community/warmemorial/memorial_details.aspx?mid=17

Thanks Paul - I appreciate the links to Kirkburton War Memorial - saved me a journey - If successful I will post photos of our updated War Memorial.

Again thanks to you all for your time and opinions on this emotive subject.

Kind Regards

John