Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

82522 Sergeant John Charles Cremer, 44th Bde RFA T. F.

Stephen Tipler

I am part of a committee called `Ryburgh Remembers` that is researching the 23 war dead of WW1 on our memorial. The first name on the memorial is the gentleman named above who was killed on 1st November 1914 he is remembered on the Menin Gate. He was 42 when died which means he probably served in the army pre-war. Again that is all we know can anyone furnish us with his movements from the time he arrived in France/Belgium until his death i think he was a saddler, also when and where he served before the war if possible.

Steve

Saddler Serjeant Charles Cremer was indeed an experienced old soldier in 47th Battery, I believe; he may previously have been in 149th Battery I think, in what had been 50th Brigade RFA [this was renumbered in 1913); although I cannot see him listed there in the 1911 census. The Brigade was the Howitzer Brigade in 2nd Division.. at Mons [with little action], the retreat and then the advance to the Aisne. He would not have been a Territorial [TF] with that number.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/44th_%28Howitzer%29_Brigade_Royal_Field_Artillery

Thank you for that info!!

• 2 months later...

Hello Steve

I am glad to hear about "Ryburgh Remembers" and may be able to help you here

Charles Cremer was my great grandfather and was born in Ryburgh in 1869, my cousin and I have spent some time researching his life and war record with some success. We have photos, war diaries, medals and some records. Unfortunately his service records were burnt in WW2.

Please let me know what information you would like

All the best

John Cremer