Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this a small cemetery ?

Coldstreamer

Hello

is 61 graves considered a small cemetery ?

In particular I refer to MORY STREET MILITARY CEMETERY, ST. LEGER

Thanks

... In particular I refer to MORY STREET MILITARY CEMETERY, ST. LEGER

post-108-0-03051100-1384900404_thumb.jpg

Mory Street is towards the "smaller" end of the scale but its hardly unusual. The criteria for an IWGC WW1 cemetery to have a memorial cross was forty burials (there are exceptions).

Is there a reason for asking ?

Tom

Researching Pte Teale of the Coldstream Guards who is buried there

45 (IIRC) was considered by the IWGC to be the smallest number of burials to be a viable cemetery. Any fewer than that were to be re-interred or other graves added to make up the numbers, so 61 is quite small.

"Disregarding" RE Grave, Railway Wood, as strictly speaking it isn't a conventional CWGC cemetery, the cemetery with the least burials (and a Cross of Sacrifice) that I can think of off-hand is Eterpigny Communal Cemetery Extension - 27 burials of which 18 are identified.

post-108-0-45368900-1384991146_thumb.jpg

Tom

As a slight aside the CWGC cemetery considered the smallest is Ocracoke Island British Cemetery.

There are (were) different criteria for the task at hand. When the cemeteries were designed the work was split between the senior architects (Lutyens, Baker and ?) who did the 'big' ones personally; whilst the junior architects did the 'smaller' ones. Some figure was established - I cannot now recall what it was.

When it came to furnishing the cemeteries with crosses and the Stone of Memory there were other standards applied. The number of burials does determine whether or not it is a cross or a stone or both - or nothing at all.

As a slight aside the CWGC cemetery considered the smallest is Ocracoke Island British Cemetery.

Four British seamen from HMS Bedfordshire, sunk in May 1942.

A small well cared for cemetery it is.