Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Percy Tatton - two WW1 soldiers but which is my grandfather

flers1916

Briefly I was adopted and have no contact with my birth parents, who are now dead. I would like to identify my 'birth' mother's father, my grandfather. Advice please on how I can find out which of the following two is my grandfather : Percy Tatton DCM, 2242 165946 Royal Engineers or Percy Tatton, 45462 South Staffordshire Regiment. I have copies of the Medal Records for both. My Percy Tatton lived in Leek, Staffordshire but without details of their civilian address I can not determine which my grandfather. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There are four Percy Tatton's in the 1911 census

Percy Tatton, aged 16, at 30 Penkville Street, Stoke-On Trent

Percy Tatton, aged 20, at 18 Moorhouse Street, Leek

Percy Tatton, aged 28, at 20 Penny Lane, Stockport

Percy Frank Tatton, aged 34, at 168 North View Road Hornsey

Andrewr

The answer probably lies in the Absent Voters List for Leek, assuming it still exists and assuming that Percy was of voting age in 1918. The list should give his service unit and number.

Excellent - thank you all for these very helpful replies. Both Percys have a medal card so, as you say Craig, must have served overseas. My Percy Tatton was born in 1897.

I did discover that l/cpl Percy Tatton 165946 was awarded the DCM whilst in 'N' Corps Signal Company for staying at his post and repeatedly repairing damaged telephone cables under fire.

I will now pursue the other suggestions. Thank you all again.

Graham

Just for information I have seen one Percy Tatton Service Record and scrawled over the top is 4562 so is the Stockport man and not my grandfather. Grandfather is L/cp Percy Tatton DCM

• 3 years later...

Just to keep the record straight in case someone else is using this information, my Percy Tatton did not win the DCM, indeed he seems he was in reserved occupation as a farm labourer.  The Cpl. Percy Tatton who won the DCM lived in 30 Penkville Street, Stoke, enlisted on 7th November 1914,  and used to work for John Williams & Son, colliery agents, Glebe Buildings, Stoke. (Source: Staffordshire Weekly Sentinel  15th June 1918)