Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme Documentary - Leo McKern, 1976

Tom Morgan

A question which arises every so often and apologies for asking it again but as time passes, the answer may change.

It it (yet) possible to buy a DVD version of this classic documentary?

Tom

It is a bit dated now, but it was a major encouragement to visiting the Western Front Battlefields. In fact it left such a mark, I went a week after it was first shown, the first of many visits.

Sepoy

Dated, maybe, but brilliant nonetheless. I have fond memories of watching this program while we studied the war poets at school. This was definitely one of the moments which started my interest in the Great War.

Jonathan

Good old Rumpole of the Bailey ( I had no idea that he was Australian!)

I too have only watched it on Youtube, (following one of the regular enquiries about a DVD). There is someone selling it online, but I suspect that they have burned it themselves and it will be of no better quality.

Who originally aired it? Perhaps they will could be encouraged to produce an official DVD?

Who originally aired it? Perhaps they will could be encouraged to produce an official DVD?

I think it was the good old BBC..... or was it ITV????

It was certainly one of them - there was not much choice in 1976 :rolleyes:

Sepoy

Thanks, all, for your replies. A rather unwell visitor to my website has emailed me to tell me that he'd like to see this documentary again, but that his old VHS copy is no longer playable. Thanks for confirming my suspicions that the programme is still unavailable on DVD. I'll reply and suggest that he tries to see the YouTube version.

Thanks again -

Tom

(Sepoy - you were right first time - it was the BBC).

It is possible to download a YouTube video, and then i suppose you could burn it to DVD. Here's one method, Click though I have never done it. Perhaps others may know of other ways of doing this?

Mike

Firefox provides add-ons which make it possible to download Youtube-video's.

Go to 'extra' & 'add-ons', type 'download tube' in the search-function and you'll get several options.

Roel

Many thanks for the reminder. Going right off topic Leo McKern was a leading player in another BBC film which I finally got a copy of - possibly from an American friend - 'A Foreign Field' made at about the time of the 50th anniversary of D Day. Usually watch it a t this time of the year.

Old Tom

Wonderful film Tom !

Readily available on the likes of Amazon though.

BillyH.

Youtube downloader + USB key.

Leo's other WW1 role was the unsympathetic medic in 'For King and Country'.

USB is an acronym for universal serial bus (I had to look it up), but they are known as usb keys. They are the little proggers you put in the side of your computer in the portal marked with something that looks like a trident; You can use them to store and transport data. They are an alternative to DVDs - or you can use them in addition. They vary in shape and size, but most look something like this. They are dirt cheap and you can them anywhere.

post-98-0-32054000-1385065863_thumb.jpg

Strange...! I posted a link to this excellent production in March 2010............

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=144491&hl=%2Bleo+%2Bmckern

I've just had a look for it again and I can't find it on that link, or the Archive where I got it from originally, it seems to have been removed.

I'm glad I have it downloaded onto a memory stick and various pc's, it shows that if you find something interesting on the web....download it and save...it may have "disappeared" next time you want to refer to it.

regards

Tom

A big thank you to Biffo who arranged a copy of the documentary for me (and thanks also to John, who offered me a copy after Biffo had sent me one). I've received some quite moving emails from the very unwell receipient. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Tom

• 5 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...