Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What chance of getting soldier details at the NA if not on Ancestry?

arboskittler

I posted the attached photo postcard back in March to seek advice on which regiment the soldier may have belonged to in order to help with tracing possible records (thanks to FROGSMILE for offering ASC or RGA as possibilities).

On the back of the photograph is a note stating "Zagazig, Egypt, 1916"

I believe the photo to be of George Edward Hill (born Tetbury' Glos around 1885). Despite also trying various combinations on Ancestry (e.g. Hills, Hall. Hull) I have found nothing and I realise that not all records survived.

The 1911 census has him living in Tetbury and employed as a baker. Obviously between the census date and outbreak of war, he could have moved away, got married etc which just adds to the difficulty in tracing.

However, what I did find on Ancestry for a George Hill (service no. 31360) were actually records for a George Bloor!

Probably nothing of a revelation to many Ancestry users but I'm now thinking that maybe my George Hill has been recorded under another name in the Ancestry interpretations.......... thus becoming a very small needle in a very large haystack.

Armed with the basic details I know, do I have any chance of success checking the NA records?

Cheers,

Andy.

post-72598-0-74363500-1384861852_thumb.j

Unlikely , unless he was an officer (officer recorfds are retained at the N/A0.

If he continued to serve after that war then his records may still be with the MOD.

However, what I did find on Ancestry for a George Hill (service no. 31360) were actually records for a George Bloor!

Ancestry's indexing is nothing but the best :whistle: . I found a WW1 record a few days ago for a 6th DLI soldier which stated it was indexed to the New York Census records.

Craig

Hi, I agree the Ancestry indexing is appalling but it's the same one that they use at the National Archives. If you go to Kew you get free access to the records, but I'm not aware of any other advantage - for some reason even the download speeds don't seem to be quicker than my home broadband. They may still have the microfilm versions, but those aren't indexed so searching them is even more frustrating.

From my perspective, I'd say Ancestry is the only option.

All the best, John

If he was resident in Tetbury 1911 you will have his address then. Have you tried locating the Absent Voters List 1918 for Gloucestershire, to see whether he's listed? If so, it might give you his exact unit.

Clive

Thanks for this Clive, I hadn't given the absent voters list a thought. I'll see if it proves fruitful.

I've checked all the George Edward Hill records, but can't tie in with the 1911 address (also tried G Hill, Geo. Hill etc., etc.). I knew this was likely to a very, very long shot so thanks to all for replying.

Cheers,

Andy.