Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion Gordon Highlanders

researchings

Hi any information on this Battalion during WW1 please . I am researching my grandfather Captain John Robert Bruce born October 1895 who was in 2nd Battalion Gordon Highlanders . I would like to know where he was during WW1 . I have his Trench maps etc which I did put on another post .I know he was in The Somme .The trench maps have HQ Plouvain on them plus I have another map.

researchings

The best bet is to look through the war diary for 2nd Gordons - it can be downloaded for £3.36 from the National Archives website under reference WO95/1656 which covers up to Oct 1914 to October 1917 - after this time the battalion was in Italy and therefore under a different reference which has not been digitized.

I wish you luck in finding him - officers are normally mentioned. There are a fair few pages much of it is handwritten so this may take a while - unless you know when he was with the battalion (when he arrived/was wounded/posted). Otherwise another member may be able to help.

Kind regards

Colin

I have a copy of the Diary of the 2nd Gordon Highlanders (Oct 1914 to Nov 1917).

I have searched this but do not see any officer with that name mentioned.

The Battalion went to Italy in Dec 1917, but I do not have that later period.

The Diary from Oct 1914 to Nov 1917 was made up from Diaries from other units of the 20th Infantry Brigade.

The original Diary was never received by the Historical Section, Military Branch.

post-87018-0-64094100-1384891672_thumb.j

I dont know much regards his Army history only he was in the Gordon Highlanders 2nd Battalion and at Oxford officers cadet battalion keble college in july 1917 as I have the photographs. At some point after July 1917 he was a captain and went to France. I have a lot of his old army memrobillia but would like to know where he served and more on his military history. He always used the name Robert rather than John.

Here's the List of Officers with the 2nd Battalion as of "3-12-17".

You can get a copy of his Service Record from the TNA, but it'll cost a lot - they charge per page.

post-87018-0-52101000-1384892392_thumb.j

I should point out that officers were sometimes 'Attached' to other units.

Take a look at the bottom of the page of the list shown.

If he was with the 2nd, then he would/should be listed.

Can you be sure it is the 2nd Bn?

There are 2 names 'John Robert Bruce' on page 465 of the index.

Both are 2nd Lieuts.

The 1st column is an index to their regiment number, and the 2nd column is their officer (file) number.

The '75' refers to the 75th Highlanders who became the 1st Bn Gordon Highlanders.

The second officer, John Robert Bruce is shown as '75', and his officer (file) number is 182041.

This is the reference you should use if applying for a copy of his Officer Service Record:

He was 2nd Battalion Gordon Highlanders. I have his old leather Army bag and his trench maps had Capt Bruce on so he must have left a Captain.

I am totally with you that he is exactly as you describe.

I'm just flummoxed trying to help find him, and I think his Officer Service Record is your best bet.

Hi,

Im new to all this I just have a lot of old records belonging to him that Im trying to put in order. It was all in his leather army bag with his old uniform and cap badge etc.

Just in case, here's the page from the index I was referring:

post-87018-0-15536600-1384895773_thumb.j

Hi,

Im new to all this I just have a lot of old records belonging to him that Im trying to put in order. It was all in his leather army bag with his old uniform and cap badge etc.

Some of us are just as "new" - others have long beards and moustaches...

I'm sure other members of the forum will jump in with more advice.

If you have these items, you have a pure treasure of information that can be gleaned from them.

Make sure you photograph all these items to keep a digital record for posterity, and never sell them.

Photograph both sides of documents (just in case). Someone in the future will ask "Is there anything written on the back?" so you'll be able to always answer.

I wish you good luck on your venture of discovery.

Enjoy the trip.

He was John Robert Bruce I will look into the officers file - where do I get the information from ?

The National Archives at Kew Gardens, London:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/

Let me add that he would've started off as a 2nd Lieutenant. Then through promotion to Lieutenant then to Captain.

Some of us are just as "new" - others have long beards and moustaches...

I'm sure other members of the forum will jump in with more advice.

If you have these items, you have a pure treasure of information that can be gleaned from them.

Make sure you photograph all these items to keep a digital record for posterity, and never sell them.

Photograph both sides of documents (just in case). Someone in the future will ask "Is there anything written on the back?" so you'll be able to always answer.

I wish you good luck on your venture of discovery.

Enjoy the trip.

What I am doing is putting it all in a book for my children and writing on the rear of photographs which one is him. He kept everything his army cap , cap badge , dirk his leather army wallet with the "By dand" badge on. The cap badge is silver I believe. I wont part with any of them .There are lots of military photo's too.

What I am doing is putting it all in a book for my children and writing on the rear of photographs which one is him. He kept everything his army cap , cap badge , dirk his leather army wallet with the "By dand" badge on. The cap badge is silver I believe. I wont part with any of them .There are lots of military photo's too.

From what I've learned, you are extremely lucky to have these items.

Most families have very little, if anything at all.

But I'd suggest that you don't write any more onto them. Keep them as original as possible.

Your digital copies can have all the relevant information in the file name that you give to each.