Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New to this site- a complete novice in finding relevant information

Janice 21

Im new to this researching and looking for information - but I decided I wanted to try and find out more about my great uncle - Ive been to see his grave in Ypres but dont really know anything about how he died or any history of what he did in the war. I did find the original photo of his grave that was sent to my great auntie, but there seems to be no other details held in the family and we dont even have any photos of him. I found an article in a paper giving some websites and a few hints of how to get info but on some sites its difficult to even get started.

One of the pieces of advice was to 'google' the relatives name and see if anyone else had already done any research as it sometimes gave you quite a lot of information - I did this & to my surprise there was my great uncles name on your forum posted on 2/7/2008 by Ken Lees. The info he wrote and the questions he raised intrigued me and I wondered if there was any other information available particularly as to how he died and where.

I was also shocked to find out that he was on a memorial at Liverpool town hall as I dont believe its something that my family know about & although I now live in Kent, I still have family in Liverpool & I still visit it quite regularly so its certainly something I will go and see on my next visit.

Hello and welcome.

Just in case Ken can't remember the specific details, could you post the Name, and perhaps the thread title?

We might be able to share the burden!

Hello Janice,

I was researching your relative as part of my interest in the 9th Battalion of the King's Liverpool Regiment. I have some more information, including a photograph of him, which I will be happy to provide a copy of.

All of the details I have are on another computer which I will be able to access in the next few days, so if you look at my website - www.9thkings.co.uk and contact me using the e-mail address you find there I will dig out the information I have and send it on to you.

Regards,

Ken

Hello Janice,

I was researching your relative as part of my interest in the 9th Battalion of the King's Liverpool Regiment. I have some more information, including a photograph of him, which I will be happy to provide a copy of.

All of the details I have are on another computer which I will be able to access in the next few days, so if you look at my website - www.9thkings.co.uk and contact me using the e-mail address you find there I will dig out the information I have and send it on to you.

Regards,

Ken

Many thanks for your help , I will contact you via the other web site as requested. Its certainly set me thinking about the various relatives and their service in WW2 and how I should try and find out more about that also.

• 3 weeks later...

Im not sure if my e mail of 21/11 arrived ok to the email address from the 9th Kings web site to Ken Lees - Ive tried sending it again - please can you let me know if you haven't received t by tomorrow in case Ive got the wrong e mail address or something. Many thanks.