Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gt uncles burial location

leigh

I have been reading my Gt Uncles Service papers with great interest. If you are lucky for them to have survives then they are a facinating incite into someone. He seems to have been a bit of a scallywag I think (runs in the family)

The really really anoying thing is it includes referance to writing to his NOK informing them of his burial location (he now has no known grave.). There is lots in the 50 odd pages of notes and things but do you think it includes the correspondace listing his last resting place .... no :(

It has all helped tremendously with other parts of the family history though.

Leigh

Remembering Gunner Peter Perrott 30395 RGA Died 29/01/15

Leigh

If you know which battery your great uncle served with you could ask if any forum member has details of the whereabouts of the battery on that particular date. Or, if you have time, you could go to the PRO and look to see if the war diary is held in the archives. It's a bit of a long shot but you may be lucky.

Garth

It's a bit of a long shot but you may be lucky.

Hi,

If you do go to the NA to look at the war diaries, I would suggest looking through the Quartermaster's diary for that formation/division. I don't know at what level this would be done for artillery, but for example, by looking through the Quartermaster's diary for the 62nd Division, there are specific orders and details about where KIA should be buried - ie which cemetery. Having said that, the soldier I was searching for did not get that far, nor did any of his platoon.

But if you are going to take a long shot, you may as well try two on the same day.

hope this is of help.

doogal

Its a long shot..... but not only did his service records survive, he got a mention. :)

Doogal, I ahve not heard of quartermasters diaries before, I will investigate. The problem with these guys (7th mountain battery RGA) is that they were moved about and placed in different sections so often.

Excert form Jan 15 7th MB diary

post-1-1096291579.jpg

Near Loos at a guess given the spoil heap reference. Post more scanned pages and you will soon have a more positive location of the battery from the map buffs.

The 7th mountain battery were around Cuinchy, Givenchy and festubert for all of 1915. I know exactly where it all happened, its just the burial location that iludes me.

On another note the battery were attached to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd brigades of 1st Division. I think 1st Bde. was the Guards brigade anyone have any ideas as to what the diaries for the 2nd and 3rd Bde's might be listed under in the NA?

Regards

Leigh