Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ww1 victory medal,

joshalex2

Hi There, I have just a victory medal come in to my possession, it belong to a 406026 pte .1. A. Isherwood R.A.F. I would like to know when or if the Royal Flying Corps Medal was all name R.A.F. or R.F.C. and when did the R.F.C. become the R.A.F. thankyou stuart,.

The Royal Air Force was formed on 1st April, 1918 with the amalgamation of the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Naval Air Service.

The RAF Formation Muster rolls (which include Isherwood) can be found on Findmypast or on Kevin Asplin's excellent free site
http://www.britishmedals.us/kevin/raf1918.html

His RAF service papers can be found at the National Archives, but they are not currently on line however Findmypast are apparently going to add these records to their site at some point.

Sepoy

Those 400000 series numbers are slightly anomalous, normally those serving before the end of the war would have received a number no higher than 330000, and that is the highest one that can actually be looked at Kew, this will only be available once the digitisation project is complete. They appear to be men who were originally Territorial Force who for some reason were renumbered into this sequence. I've previously tried to research one Albert Carr, and on ordering AIR 79/562/61802 (now removed from the catalogue), I discovered merely a paper slip stating "see 401570".

good grief, this lad was in the observation Balloon section, that's Amazing, so the Balloon was part of the R.F.C, I will look up what they did,.thank you steve