Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

BabaAndrew
On 31/01/2017 at 13:52, AndrewFrench said:

Simon - if you send me your email address (I am at andrewgfrench@hotmail.com) I attach the photo 3rd Troop photo (if he is our man then he is 4th left in the rear rank  and if you could send me the Patcham photos we can see if we have the right man and I can tell you a lot of name and what the men were doing. We have quite a few photos and accounts of the time in Patcham. IN the meantime he is a contemporary account

SERVICE NOTES

YEOMANRY HOME AGAIN

RECORD TRAINING COMESTO A CLOSE

The Berkshire Yeomanry, second-to-none in the Yeomanry regiments of the country, strike camp today after one of the most favourable trainings in their history. Sunny Brighton has been at its sunniest from our arrival to our departure. The heat, which would have been trying in other training centres, has been tempered by channel breezes, which combination have made conditions all that the Yeoman himself could wish.

CANDID CRITISISM

The past week has made an interesting and instructive as our energetic and skilled staff of officers could possibly make it. Schemes have been carried out, some on elaborate lines, others consisting of a mere mornings work, generally in the nature of retirement and outpost schemes. Throughout Col Sir E Barry and his staff have closely watched operations, following them up later in the day by candid criticism at “pow-wows” in the regimental orderly room, at which all officers and senior NCOs are present

IDEAL COUNTRY

Other untiring and experienced officers acting as umpires at field operations have been Major Karslake and Captain Hunrdall, adjutant. The country presented by the wonderful Sussex Downs is in many respects ideal for cavalry and mounted infantry manoeuvres. Its drawback is mainly its treacherous and underground which abound. Squadron has been confined to Teg Down, an extensive bit of ground just north of the camp. Field work has taken place farther afield on Newmarket Hill, Castle Hill and other big slopes and valleys in the vicinity of Lewes and Rottingdean. The scenery in all directions is magnificent, villages and even towns appearing to the troops on the hills in miniature making panoramas that will not be readily forgotten.

A HEAVY THUNDERSTORM

A tremendous thunderstorm swept over the camp over the week-end. The vivid lightning lit up every corner of the camp in continuous flashes lasting over a considerable period of the night. Rain fell with a violence not experienced by some of the older yeomen, and the thunder reverberated round the hills with awesome severity. Happily the horses treated the whole affair with a surprising unconcern that astonished old and new campaigners alike. “Stand-to” did not become necessary, though sleep was quite out of the question until the storm had subsided. The principle sufferers were the night guard, who had their tents demolished in the storm.

CELEBRATING A WIN

The competition for the Colvin Cup took place on Tuesday. The trophy is given for the best “led horse” work executed by any one squadron. Brigadier-Colonel Lord Longford was out with his Brigade-Major during the competition and watched the work with interest. The competition was judged by the colonel, the second in command, and the adjutant. The winners were D Squadron (Wantage) under Major Henderson MP, B Squadron being second. The hot sun was not conducive to the easy management of horses; nerveless, excellent displays were given by all concerned. The victors duly celebrated their success in fashions best understood by yeomen; there was a big demand on champagne, too, for the purpose.

A NEW DEPARTURE

The regimental sports took place on Monday. In order to encourage new blood it was decided to allow squadrons to carry out their events independently, an experiment that scarcely lent additional interest to the fixture but undoubtedly gave some novices a chance – some of whom gave creditable displays. Jumping, tent-pegging, wrestling-on-horseback, apple-snatching and other mounted events monopolised the programme, which was witnessed by comrades of the respective squadrons and a few civilians who strayed into camp.

Reading Chronicle 6th June 1913

CHURCH PARADE

The second church parade took place on Sunday, the men looking particularly smart in their blue uniforms and new “pouch belts,” an innovation furnished by a generous county association at the request of the officer commanding. The preacher was again the Vicar of Patcham. Among those present were Sir E Barry and staff, Colonel Ricardo, late commanding officer of the regiment, and several ladies.

A feature of the camp has been the insistent attention of itinerant photographers, who snap the troopers on every conceivable occasion and produce the results in well-executed postcards, which command a ready sale among the men. They furnish a unique memento of probably the finest camp, from the men’s point of view, we have ever had.

RIPPING FORTNIGHT

We strike Camp to-day (Friday), and the regiment proceeds to its various destinations by rail. The Reading Squadron leave in the early morning. Wantage at noon, as also Windsor. The Newbury Squadron do not entrain till 3.20, travelling via London. They reach Newbury at 7.20, with their horses and full complement of NCO’s and men. Altogether, to give the opinion of the trooper, a ripping fortnight; no one is anxious to go home; Brighton breezes are not an everyday occurrence; maximum sunshine records have not usually been associated with the Yeomanry trainings. This year Old Sol has beaten his own record. Next year—Churn!

Reading Chronicle 6th June 13

I will also send the first of my draft documents on what the Yeo were doing in Egypt. I would post it here but it runs to about 70 pages

Are you local to Windsor as I would be delighted to show you and your friend around our collection sometime ?

I would be interested to find out if the Berkshire Yeomanry often went to Brighton for camp, in the years before WW1, or whether this was only in 1913?

Any information appreciated!

guerramundial1
4 hours ago, AndrewFrench said:

The regiment begins the first action of the war - the Berkshire Yeomanry fell in at Abbassia barracks at 12.15 a.m. in full marching order with packs etc., and at 12.30 a.m. set off on the three-mile march to the railway station.

The Regiment entrained at midnight on the 13/14th for Alexandria with a strength of 16 officers plus 360 men. Organised as an RHQ, Machine-Gun Section, and two over-strength squadrons each comprising six officers and one hundred and sixty men. Bde War Diary

At 2. 45 a.m. Major Wigan our second-in-command came out on the platform to dismiss me off duty – he’s a very stern soldier but a jolly fine man and I have always felt that if we went into action I should like to go in attached to him as I have been many times on manoeuvres. Letter dated 16th August 1915 written home from Cairo to his Father by Trooper J.L Loveridge (motor cycle dispatch rider. Museum collection.

Great enriching information Andrew!!!!

I've found the following photograph of these barracks: https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C308866

We're talking of 1915, just before moving to Mudros to participate in Gallipoli, right?

Regards

Wim   

Abbassia Barracks Cairo Egypt 1916.jpg