Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uk Soldier serving with Australian Infantry

Glen

A search on CWGC for "C Cockin" gave me a single result, however I instantly discounted it as the Regiment/Service column shows - Australian Infantry, A.I.F. Clicking the name to see his individual record and I see under "Additional info" - Son of George Henry and Kate Eleanor Cockin, of Gilberdyke, Brough, Yorkshire, England.

Gilberdyke is within my area of research, so this could be my man, but how would someone from Yorkshire end up serving with Australian forces?

Glen

Easy: he emigrated prior to 1914.

A respectable percentage of ANZAC (and CEF) soldiers were native Britons. Google for the page "Mapping our Anzacs" - it gives a graphic illustration of where they were all born.

I see from your Interests that you have a formidable task ahead of you; I "only" had to research the 720 names on Dudley's War Memorial. You may find several Canadians and the odd South African on there too. Also: beware duplication, mis-spellings and variant spellings, Glen.

Easy: he emigrated prior to 1914.

I see from your Interests that you have a formidable task ahead of you; I "only" had to research the 720 names on Dudley's War Memorial. You may find several Canadians and the odd South African on there too. Also: beware duplication, mis-spellings and variant spellings, Glen.

The problem I have is that the name is on the memorial, and I am aware of other staff who resigned their jobs to join the forces, so were not working for the railway when they enlisted, and therefore are not included on the memorial. If he had emigrated then he must have left his job so is not my man.

Thanks to a totally different thread in here, I found this

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scripts/Imagine.asp?B=3265111

Fully aware of the alternate spellings/Mis-spellings and Freds who were actually Alfreds - it all adds to the "fun"