Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

surviving wagons, limbers & carts

Muerrisch

• 2 weeks later...

For the sake of completeness, I contacted the Science Museum in Granada to ask about the origin of the ambulance wagon.

They sent me a photo of the manufacturer's plaque that is attached. I was surprised to see that it was made in Switzerland, although given the Swiss connection with the Red Cross maybe I should not have been.

Regards,

JMB

Sorry, pilot error.........try again !!

JMB

post-104832-0-72876400-1427150908_thumb.

• 4 months later...

I took a photo (which I don't have to hand at the moment) of one of these in the Paschendale 1918 Museum in Zonnebeke; it is described as a "Horse drawn waggon with coffin" in my notes.

• 4 years later...

hi thier to every body  here is a photo of australian j a lawton  water cart   the one on the left is a lawton  middle furphy and right a british tank  of witch l looking for a drop axle.and next rostoration gs wagon

006.JPG

110.JPG

072 (3).JPG

053.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

By the by, in the British Army of GW period was “traveling cooker” another name for “field kitchen”?

Regards,

JMB

Slightly post war but otherwise the same.

So this is the official name.  "Travelling Kitchen, limber and wagon"

Cheers

Ross

824431030_P1020512-Copy.JPG.c0e8d29d2055721e05ab2fb8f05b48e9.JPG

By the way, R.C.D. is the maker, "Royal Carriage Department". A manufacturing workshop complex located at Woolwich.

good morning,

here's a kitchen travelling plate.
Neuville Saint Vaast area near Vimy.

364092418_cuisineroulante.JPG.b3641a91c02b59f44937b508c32b6347.JPG

regards

michel

A few years ago two WW1 German horse drawn ambulances came up for sale on E Bay. This one recently sold at auction. I suspect it is one of those two. Nice to see one so original.  

2132_2-1441x1080.jpg

2132_4.jpg

2132_5.jpg

2132_6.jpg

2132_7.jpg

Edited by Great War Truck

Coming over from another topic is this field kitchen. Said to be a captured German example from the Great War, that does now seem improbable. It has been used by re-enactors at a series of events and has had WD markings applied which have muddied the waters somewhat. Can anyone confirm its origin?

IMG_5736.JPG

IMG_5737.JPG

IMG_5739.JPG

IMG_5741.JPG

IMG_5743.JPG

Love the grease tin strapped to the frame. This is a detail common virtually every British horse drawn vehicle of WW1 and invariably missing.

Cheers

Ross

• 5 months later...

Hi john paull,

I may be able to help you with details about the Wagon, G.S. Mk X*, to assist your rebuild, if you wish to get in touch.

The attached picture is one of my wagons about to undertake some driving practice a couple of years ago.

Regards, Mike

IMG_1950 - Copy.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nigel, 

I believe that this is the famous 'Fromelles' Wagon that you re-built!

I've been hoping to chat to you for a while about your magnificent Cart, Water Mk V*.

We have followed your Wagon G.S. restorations and admired the quality of the workmanship, but the Water Cart re-build has inspired us to try to obtain or build one like yours. This was no doubt a challenge for your team, but it is a little difficult to source axles and tanks in Australia for this Cart. Most Aussies assume that all Army Water Carts used by the A.I.F were green painted Furphy farm carts.... but that's just a Furphy!

I hope we can get in touch via email as we are actively designing high quality replica water filters and pumps for these one of these carts, as well as looking into the manufacture of the muslin kettle, and a 'Horrocks' Box with its requisite cups, etc. Perhaps we can share some information on this topic?

Best regards, Mike

Good evening,

here are items found in a huge cantonment bin or repair shop.

1104060079_DSC_0145-Copie.JPG.5a674dd865b72d6c2e073cc981f04b12.JPG

answer to Chasemuseum in old post

1. Side board bracket for a General service wagon

2. Difficult to identify, appears to be the brass bearing and part of the threaded bar of the mechanism to apply the brake on a wagon wheel. Hard to identify which model of wagon.

3. Front and rear arches of UP1902 saddle.

4 hook to go on a hemp drag rope. A utility rope carried with virtually all wagons and trucks

5. Unidentified, initially thought that it was a drag link but it looks too small, unless part of the link is missing.

Drag link. This is part of a military wooden wheel. It goes over the hub and is secured in place by the hub cap. It is free floating on the hub and a drag rope can be attached to it to help pull the wagon up a steep slope or out of morass if it is bogged.

6. Brake shoe and pad. A lever mechanism operated by 2. above to act against the steel tyre of a wagon wheel as a brake. The shoe is steel, the pad is cast iron.

7.Unidentified, looks like it may be part of a seat bracket for a GS wagon. It appears to be upside down in the photo.

8. Spanner for hubcap on military horse drawn vehicle wheels.

9. Swingle tree. This is part of the draught harness. THe central socket goes on a hook on the front of the wagon or limber. The horses traces hook onto the loops on either side.

for the 1 -7 object, I unfortunately only have one copy of each everything else went to the scrap metal (more than 100 kg).:unsure:
the farmer's help with his tractor was very helpful.

2037687794_bchedeparc(1).JPG.6d9c2bddbeb8dfd9cfb21ae5f6dbcd27.JPG

829220882_piochedeparc(1).JPG.b7f6cb3c9bb24969b69adba142da40c3.JPG1956932956_piochedeparc(2).JPG.88467a8d9397228a9225fce36a4f2898.JPG

1786526088_peronanglaisenfer(2).JPG.970fc78b69cf8ab6ec84cc22ef1be42c.JPG

I also did 1 dog tag of a soldier from the Royal Scots (19th Labour) as well as a spur and 2 cap badge of the Army Service Corps.

DSC_0003.JPG.dd646c38d62ce5b87bc1c71b4ddad18c.JPG109139880_Robb31527.png.e233f4534915bf374a3a9f916ace0451.png.143f4783885978aa5dd2833f3ab06615.png

1337427635_ArmyServiceCorps-2pattern(1).JPG.0788f36bb2dbe0a139a719bb7ecb7ea2.JPG2049435372_ArmyServiceCorps-2pattern(2).JPG.58f92ee1a488b68459420a05595f5d09.JPG

DSCN4157.JPG.7fa115ac297df5ed3e1ba064a3c2184c.JPG787802852_30850_A001276-00152-Copie.jpg.6fae2b42d0abb973cb49fd92062902de.jpg

Kind regards

Michel

Hi Museumtom,

What fabulous photos!

These are the first clear shot I have seen of the filters and the stores box for these carts. 

These appear to be a pair of Cart, Water, Mk V* and would seem to be restorable. Are they in a museum or being offered for sale perhaps?

I would be pleased if their owner wanted to move them on as we are looking to find one to restore.

Thanks for posting these pics. Best regards, Mike

Hello Mike.

Delighted you like the photographs. I hope to be back in the same area this summer, if there are any particular photographs you would like of it just let me know.

As you can see there are two of them, but they are not for sale and are in a military area. 

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

• 1 month later...

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the offer.  We have commenced the restoration/recreation of a water cart, most likely as a Mk VI Cart. We have a tank, but we are looking for any other parts, hence why we are interested in acquiring remains such as those in your photos, so if that opportunity were to arise, we would be grateful to be contacted.

The pictures include the rare water filter cylinder, and the stores box complete with spindles on the back of one of them.

If you have the time, we would love to get accurate measurements of the spindles, the pump mountings, and the box. It will be very helpful to get measurements of the dovetail joints, the thickness of the timber, and a 'map' of the screw holes for all the fittings on the box. (We always use antique bolts and screws when restoring our vehicles).

Now that we can see a real filter cylinder, accurate measurements of the diameter and length, the gauge or the captive locking bolts , and the measurements of the securing strap and its mounting block will also be of great assistance, if you could spare the time. 

Like Nigel's cart, the rebuild here is planned to be as accurate and authentic as possible, and the completed cart will be joining a collection of WWI military horse-drawn vehicles that are 'paraded' by former soldiers in period uniforms for special occasions - hence our interest is accuracy and authenticity. 

Many thanks for any further assistance or pictures, and  (post COVID-19) future visitors are welcome.

Best regards, Mike

• 1 month later...
On 14/01/2021 at 22:15, Adjutant said:

Hi Nigel, 

I believe that this is the famous 'Fromelles' Wagon that you re-built!

I've been hoping to chat to you for a while about your magnificent Cart, Water Mk V*.

We have followed your Wagon G.S. restorations and admired the quality of the workmanship, but the Water Cart re-build has inspired us to try to obtain or build one like yours. This was no doubt a challenge for your team, but it is a little difficult to source axles and tanks in Australia for this Cart. Most Aussies assume that all Army Water Carts used by the A.I.F were green painted Furphy farm carts.... but that's just a Furphy!

I hope we can get in touch via email as we are actively designing high quality replica water filters and pumps for these one of these carts, as well as looking into the manufacture of the muslin kettle, and a 'Horrocks' Box with its requisite cups, etc. Perhaps we can share some information on this topic?

Best regards, Mike

Hi no this is my wagon but yes i did restore the RLC Fromelles Wagon 

regards

Nigel