Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CONDREN Brien Rev Capt British Army

stevenbecker

Mates,

Can anyone give any details on this man who died in Egypt?

I have little on him;

CONDREN Brien Rev Capt British Army att Aust Chaplians Dept in Egypt DoD 5-8-18

Cheers

S.B

http://www.awm.gov.au/research/people/commemorative_roll/person/R1430072/

Steve - Could someone have been confused – and assumed that as he died at Port Said, he was serving in WW1 – seems he was just on his way back to Australia from Rome:

The Argus (Melb, Vic), Fri 9 Aug 1918 (p.1):

DEATHS

CONDREN – On the 6th August, at Port Said, of scarlet fever, Rev Brian Condren, beloved youngest son of Mrs Dowling, Retreat Hotel, Nicholson street, Abbotsford. R.I.P. Solemn Requiem Mass, St Patrick’s Cathedral, Tuesday, at 10.30.

Freeman’s Journal (Sydney, NSW), Thu 22 Aug 1918 (p.14):

Rev Romerald Hayes, ……………………………………………..

The steamer by which he is travelling has been detained at Port Said owing to the prevalence of fever on board. Rev Father Brian Condren, who was a college companion of Father Hayes, and who was returning to Australia by the same vessel, caught the fever and died at Port Said on Tuesday last.

The two young priests were close personal friends, and were ordained on the same day. They were two of eight young students who went to Rome four years ago to continue their studies for the priesthood. ………………………………………………….

The Freeman’s Journal (Sydney, NSW), Thur 29 Aug 1918 (p.48):

The Apostolic Delegate has written to the relatives of the late Father Brian Condren, expressing his deepest sympathy in their bereavement. Father Condren was a student at the Propoganda College, Rome, when the Delegate was rector of that college. Father Condren’s mother resides at Abbotsford (Vic).

The Catholic Press (NSW), Thur 21 Nov 1918 (p.23):

………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Father Hayes, whose parents live at Kyneton (Vic), left Australia in 1914, with Revs P. Fennessy, Adrian Martin and Bryan [sic] Condren to complete their ecclesiastical studies at Propaganda. They were ordained in August 1917. …………………………… On July 4 last, Father Hayes left Rome for Australia, and was accompanied by Father Brian Condren. At Port Said Father Condren contracted scarlet fever, and died after five days’ illness. ………………………………

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/105963646/11822107?searchTerm

Cheers, Frev

Frev,

Thanks mate, I asumed he was in the British Army as I couldn't find a mention of him in AIF records.

Cheers

S.B