Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Western Front Companion by Mark Adkin - Any Reviews ?

jonathanb2701

Has anyone read or seen this new book, recently released ?

Is it worth the high price ? and are there many photos / illustrations etc ?

Any reviews ?

Not me. I do have a couple of books by the same chap: The Charge (about the Charge of the Light Brigade), which is very good, and The Waterloo Companion (disappointingly not about South West Trains' flagship railway station). The former is very good while the latter is a very good pot-boiler for someone like me who has an interest but not the inclination to buy lots of books about the subject. Lots of explanation about uniforms, weapons, orders of battle and so on.

I'd suggest the book about which you are enquiring is not dissimilar. My only fear is that covering The Western front might be a pretty broad brush for this approach.

I have his book on Trafalgar, which is astonishingly detailed. Must say my first thought was how on earth could he replicate that approach on such a huge topic. It's gone into my Amazon basket but it's going to take quite a reduction to go the next step

David

• 2 weeks later...

I have just looked through this book today, at a large chain store bookshop.

It is very well produced on good quality paper, and includes a nice selection of period photos i hadn't seen before.

It appears to be a very easy to read, indepth study, with maps of the battles, and present day photos.

The only downside i see, is the price at 60.00.

I have just looked through this book today, at a large chain store bookshop.

It is very well produced on good quality paper, and includes a nice selection of period photos i hadn't seen before.

It appears to be a very easy to read, indepth study, with maps of the battles, and present day photos.

The only downside i see, is the price at 60.00.

£37.20 on Amazon right now.

Seen the Book in Auckland last week, I was not sure about buying here here at home from Amazon.

However do have his Gettysburg book which to me is brilliant and well done.

Joe

• 1 year later...

For sale by the Naval & Military Press for £19.99 plus £3.85 postage.

I just bought a copy on abebooks for £19.99 from Sandpiper books. Looks like they have some more for sale.

What's the catch?

No one buying at 60 quid.

I've just got a copy from N&MP, at their offer price of £19.99, and it is a very handsome product, but I wouldn't have paid £60 for it.

i wouldn't be happy if I had paid 60 quid.

Received my copy yesterday from N&MP at £19.99 plus postage. Very nicely produced book, with much interesting content, but overpriced at £60 IMHO.

Mike.