Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Inverted horse shoe on uniform

raggy

I've been looking at a photo of my grandfather in his royal artillery uniform and on the right upper arm is a inverted horse shoe in what appears to be heavy material.His paperwork says he first served in the royal field artillery then the tank corps so what does the badge imply.

Farrier & shoeing smith.

Thank you very much.Can you tell me what

that means in term of his military service i.e something he did before his war service or part of his royal artillery training?

it is NOT INVERTED!

The military badge is always that way up if correctly worn.

Sorry, I,m not familiar with uniform badges as yet,need to read up a bit

more.

I think I would have said it was inverted too not knowing much about insignia. There's the old custom of placing a horseshoe over your doorway to bring you luck and having it as portrayed on the picture would mean it was the wrong way round and your luck would fall out.

I would suspect that it was a trade he was already familiar with. I haven't any info in regards to

military trade training given during the war. For example my wife's uncle was a chauffeur before

the war so when he enlisted he was sent to the Army Service Corps as a driver and went overseas

on the 26/7/1915 I believe to one of the ammunition columns.

I would suspect that it was a trade he was already familiar with. I haven't any info in regards to

military trade training given during the war. For example my wife's uncle was a chauffeur before

the war so when he enlisted he was sent to the Army Service Corps as a driver and went overseas

on the 26/7/1915 I believe to one of the ammunition columns.

That would fit in with his pre war life.He was a farm labourer before

and after the first world war so would have come into contact with horses.Very interesting info.Thank you.

Regards. Alan