Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment Tracing PALS

Orvejam

I am trying to identify the name (and any other details) of a 6th South Staffs soldier with the serial numbers 2632. There were 4 soldiers that enlisted on 4th September 1914 at the Wolverhampton drill hall. They were all from the Albrighton (there are two) near Wolverhampton Shropshire. The four listed below appear on the Albrighton War Memorial.

Their serial numbers are in sequence but there is one missing and I am trying to find out more about that person for the WW1 centenary:

a) George Lycett - 2628

B) Joseph Jones - 2629 (originally from W. Rhynd Shropshire)

c) Harry Corns - 2631 (my great Uncle)

d) Charles Totty - 2632

If you have any details about the above men or any that have the serial number 2632, 2627, 2633 etc. I would love to hear from you.

For information - some soldiers later in the war received new serial numbers (my great uncle ended the war with the serial number 240431 before he died from the effects of gas poisoning in 1920) so it may not be obvious.

Jim

If you look at the medal card index the only South Staffs man you come up with is:

2630 - William Timmins

He also has a second number of 240430 which ties in with the territorials being renumbered later in the war (1917 ?) also ties in perfectly with 'Proud Salopian' great uncles number. I can find no record of William being killed.

Just check Ancestry and there is a William Timmins living at 35 High street, Albrighton as a lodger - profession Groom. He was aged 20 in 1911 and had been born just down the road at Worfield.

Dave

Dear Dave,

That's fantastic - thanks. For info my great Uncles second number is 240431 so it fits in perfectly. It looks like he might have been the only survivor of the 6th South Staffs from Albrighton. Did you find him by searching or was he a relative?

Kind regards

Jim

Dear Dave,

That's fantastic - thanks. For info my great Uncles second number is 240431 so it fits in perfectly. It looks like he might have been the only survivor of the 6th South Staffs from Albrighton. Did you find him by searching or was he a relative?

Kind regards

Jim

Jim, I found him by doing a search in a couple of places,

but your question did interest me as I was brought up in Albrighton until I was 18 and remember the local war memorial.

Dave

Hi Jim,

Try these names and numbers for your list;

2627 Pte Francis Clark(e) can find no details of being a casualty

2633 Pte James Sadler 6th Btn South Staffs killed in action 1/7/16 remembered on Thiepval memorial pier & face 7

2634 Pte Charles Jenkins 6th Btn South Staffs killed in action 1/7/16 buried at Foncquevilliers Military cemetery Grave ref: I.L.47

Dave

Thanks Dave - I will look into these as well. I am particularly interested in James Sadler as I suspect that he may have been a cousin of Harry, his mums maiden name was Sadler.