Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Names: Ajax, Badger, Cyclops, Dreadnaught, Egypt and Falcon

Gareth Davies

Does anyone know the first time these names were used:

Ajax was on 2676/A26 in 1 Coy A Bn at Cambrai, I can't find any record of the name in use at Ypres.

I can't find Badger but I am pretty sure it was used in the GW.

Cyclops was on 2059/C39 in 8 Coy C Bn at Ypres in Aug 17.

Dreadnaught was on 2026/D21 in 12 Coy D Bn at Ypres in Sep 17 and Dreadnaught II was on 2073/D21 at Ypres in Oct 17.

Egypt was on 2817/E51 in 15 Coy E Bn at Ypres in Sep 17.

Falcon was on 2717/F13 in 16 Coy f Bn at Ypres on 31 Jul 17.

So Ajax, Cyclops, Dreadnaught, Egypt and Falcon were all used by tanks after the formation of the Tank Corps on 27 Jul 17. But were these names in use before that date?

There is a complete listing of tank names, serial numbers, crew numbers and commanders for A and B Battalions held in the Tank Museum Archives. Although the list isn't dated a bit of detective work shows that it must date from June/July 1917, after Messines but before Third Ypres. The list was probably compiled when the system of tank names whose initial letters coincided with the battalion letter was first adopted. The list includes:

'Ajax' 2676 and

'Badger' 712, a Mark I Tender (Supply tank). This tank had the name 'Badger' in June/July 1917 but on 7 June, at the Battle of Messines, it carried the name 'Dodo'.

'Cyclops' was C39/2059 at Cambrai but 2059 had been C39 since at least 13 July 1917. I would have expected that C Battalion tanks took their C names also in June/July 1917 and I presume that 2059 was 'Cyclops' from then, though I have no evidence of that.

I have no evidence any of the other names were in use before the dates you specify, though I would suggest they all date from June/July 1917 (F Battalion was issued with their fighting tanks from 16 June 1917).

I don't quite see what your question is driving at though.

Gwyn

Gwyn

Many thanks. My question is driving towards an incorrect (or at least a possibly in correct) use of Regimental history to justify the names of the squadrons in the new Regiment post amalgamation in 2014.

I have often wondered whether Dodo was at Flers-Courcelette but have never found any evidence

Gwyn

Many thanks. My question is driving towards an incorrect (or at least a possibly in correct) use of Regimental history to justify the names of the squadrons in the new Regiment post amalgamation in 2014.

I would never have guessed that. Thanks for enlightening me. Happy to help.

Gwyn

I have often wondered whether Dodo was at Flers-Courcelette but have never found any evidence

I can't place 712 at Flers I'm sorry.

Gwyn