Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Centenary site for Ettlingen in Germany

Erine

Wow thanks Pete - just seen your post.

I have just posted photos of the original newspaper articles from August 5, 1914, detailling the declaration of war by England, and translated all of these articles into English.

Hope they are of interest!

www.ettlingenww1.blogspot.de

Erine, these are definitely of interest. By cooincidence I have been looking at the local papers in Liverpool for the same period and thanks to your translations it will we possible for me to compare the two. I'll put it on my list of things to do (which is very long).

Thanks as ever for posting all of this.

Pete.

Thanks Pete - that's of interest to me too. I'd like to know how they compare.

One item that particularly struck me in one of my newspaper articles was the report that France had apparently violated the airspace of neutral Belgium with bomber aircraft before Germany violated it by marching through it.

• 4 weeks later...

A treasure trove of WW1 letters, brought down from the attic, finds its way back to our small town in Germany from the USA. Read the story on our blog: www.ettlingenww1.blogspot.de

• 2 months later...

Over the summer, we received an entire trunk of World War I letters and diaries from the descendant of one of my Ettlingen soldiers, who now lives in the US. She presented our municipal archives with around 2000 documents, including perfectly preserved letters and diaries. Her grandfather, to whom the correspondence and diaries belonged, was the brother of the young doctor whose WWI letters I had been transcribing and translating. In addition, I've now discovered the doctor's estate in a library in a neighboring state. The estate contains his poetry and paintings, many from 1918/1920 and the 1920s.

As a result, I've started a new website: www.thekieferbrothers.blogspot.de, which contains the World War One letters and diaries of these two brothers, as well as some of the later art and poetry. Please let me know what you think.

Congratulations on your excellent blog.

I've been reading the doctor's letters and about the assassination of the Archdike and his wife in 1914.

I will be revisiting.

best wishes,

Joseph

"we will remember them"

Thanks very much Joseph!

Actually I was posting above about my new partner blog, "World War I Letters and Diaries of the Kiefer Brothers" which contains the World War One letters and diaries of these two brothers, as well as some of their later art and poetry.

You can find it at www.thekieferbrothers.blogspot.de