Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Centenary site for Ettlingen in Germany

Erine

Hi,

I don't know of many centenary projects in Germany but I have started one for our town of Ettlingen in Baden, at the foot of the Black Forest. I am writing the site in cooperation with the Town Archive. I only started last week but it's ongoing and I hope it will grow:

www.ettlingenww1.blogspot.de

Please let me know what you think.

Erine

Erine,

Nice layout of the webpage with good content, congratulations.

Andy

Willkommen beim GWF, Erine. You've made a great start if you've only been building the site for a week.

Clickable link .... www.ettlingenww1.blogspot.de

I shall keep looking at the site as you continue to build it. Interesting to see Tor Kiefer's reference to the 'mine dogs'. I have a photo of a gathering of German officers in what they jokingly call "Die Wirtschaft zum behelfsmässigen Minenhund".

Mick

Hi Mike,

Thanks very much for your comments! I hope to keep the site growing bit by bit, especially the sections War Diary, Letters from the Battlefields and Photos.

I didn't know what a "mine dog" was before.

I love the writings of Tor Kiefer and Richard Barth, which I find in many cases lend themselves to poetry, and I would love to see them "living" now, a hundred years after they were written, instead of gathering dust in the archives, as they have been now for many decades.

Erine

Eine supertolle Seite-Glückwunsch. Endlich mal ein Jahrhundertprojekt. Schade ist nur, das man sie nur auf Englisch lesen kann. Warum nicht auf Deutsch?

Schließe mich der Einschätzung von Egbert an. Paßt gut ins kommende Jahr 1914. Davon sollte es mehr geben.

Gruß

Fritz

Vielen lieben Dank Fritz und Egbert!

Ich schreibe die Site auf Englisch, damit sie weltweit gelesen werden kann. Ich dachte, es gäbe mehr Interesse ausserhalb von Deutschland (leider). Ausserdem bin ich Engländerin ^_^. Ich weiss, so haben die Ettlinger auch etwas weniger davon,Schade. Am Besten wäre natürlich eine zweisprachige Seite, aber dafür ist Blogspot nicht wirklich geeignet, und eine andere Software wäre mir zu kompliziert gewesen. Ist auch mit Kosten für einen Übersetzer verbunden, da ich selber keine Zeit hätte, alles zu übersetzen. Dafür transkribiere ich aber die Feldpost in Deutsch, mit kurzen Erklärungen in Englisch dazu.

Viele Grüsse

Erine

Errm, maybe you should continue the brilliant website in German language. There are only very few Brits interested in such German (English language based) websites, maybe 2 handful here on the largest English language GW forum. I assume you had more interested people and visitors reading your excellent website -at least all of Ettlingen and Black forest fans) - when offering in German language. I stand by to be corrected......

I have to agree with Egbert. Ideally, the site should eventually have both German and English versions, but it should be constructed first in German, which will allow it to be built and laid out much more quickly, as letters, documents, etc, will not need to be translated in the initial phase. The construction of the site in German can be accompanied by a 'framework' in English, which can be added to later as time and resources allow. A good proportion of the English-speakers who will be interested in a site like this will be German-speaking (to a greater or lesser extent), and I suspect the same will also apply to 'readers' in, for example, France and Belgium. I certainly applaud the idea of bringing the experiences of Ettlingen and environs during the Great War to an English-speaking audience, but I think it is equally, if not more, important to make them accessible to an audience in Germany, and especially in and around Ettlingen.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Erine,

First of all, welcome to the site. I'm impressed with what you have done so far.

I'm from one of your 'twin towns', Clevedon. I've had similar thoughts about doing what you are and you have given me that final push to start contacting others in town who may hold records. I've already got some info on the fallen of Clevedon from looking into my family history but it would be good to expand on it for the centenary.

Starting to think this could be another good way to strengthen our towns' bonds to one another too.

Viele Grüsse

Steve

Hi Steve,

Wow great - could you contact me privately? I'm sure that Ettlingen would be very interested in a Clevedon/Ettlingen partnership going on here. It would be fantastic to have the "partners" joining in. Maybe we can convince Epernay to do something too.

You can write to me at info@contran.de. That way I'll see the mail straight away rather than logging on to my "Ettlingen site" account, which I don't do every day.

Erine

I put up a new post on our site today www.ettlingenww1.blogspot.de - a story brought to us by the granddaughter of the guy in question. It was an interesting story as this guy had a typewriter, which he also used to write poetry at the front.

I've only put up half of the stuff from this lady today, as she had loads. I'll put the rest up next week. Included in this week's post are a collection of his medals, which I tried to research without too much luck. I should be better as my Dad was a war medal collector! Can anyone help? Any idea what some of these medals were awarded for? Or are they just all for periods of service?

Erine

Hello Erine,

I enjoyed reading the material on your site, congratulations on an excellent production, I look forward to more of your contributions,

regards

khaki

Hi Erine,

Thank you for posting. I have enjoyed visiting your site and intend to visit again and read more. I don't speak German so the fact it is in English will be good for some people like myself. It is such an interesting site and I hope you continue to develop it.

Marjorie

Thank you very much, Khaki and Marjorie! Please do, as the site is growing all the time.

Erine

I have posted photos of various original documents (some handwritten), as well as some of the poetry written by my latest researched soldier on his typewriter at the Western Front. Also several medals. If anyone can help with the medals, I'd be very grateful. I only know about 2 of them.

Hello Erine,

Please post some photographs on this forum of the medals, I am sure we can identify them.

regards

khaki

I'm afraid I only have permission to post photos, etc. on our website.

We discovered some excellent letters from the battlefields from 1915 this week in our archive. One of them described an "all quiet on the Eastern Front" situation where the Russians and the Germans built up a connection with each other, due to the fact that they were living in such close proximity in the forest. I loved this story and have transcribed the German, and translated the essence of it into English, with photos of the original letter:

http://www.ettlingenww1.blogspot.de/p/letters-from-battlefields.html

• 6 months later...
I've translated from German to English the article on the Sarajevo assassination that appeared in our local newspaper on June 30, 1914. I hope this might be of interest:

• 4 weeks later...

New posts on our blog in the run-up to the outbreak of war, including an article about the Ludendorff Fund for Disabled War Veterans, with original postcards.

"A heavy hour has befallen Germany today" said Kaiser Wilhelm in his speech to the people from his Palace in Berlin on July 31, 1914.

See the original newspaper articles from our local newspaper and read my translations of the articles on our blog at:

Another interesting and thought provoking entry Erine; the website looks absolutely outstanding. I'm particularly interested if any of the fallen from Ettlingen were in the same areas as some of my footballers. I'll keep a close watch as you post more.

Pete.