Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

interpreting PROCAT records

armourersergeant

some help understanding PROCAT records or atleast the way they work ....please

i have done a search on my grandfather on Procat and it has brought up some links. What i did was put in the name 'Leader' and 1914-1919. My grandfathers name was Albert Edward Leader do i assume that his records if they exist would be in the category stated as WO363/L163..Leadbetter Richard-Leader Alfred S.

Any help with this would be appreciated as i am trying to get some info together as best where to look when i go to the Pro to try and reserch him. If this is the section he would be under would i just ask for this category or some others as i have read of miss filing etc...

Thanks

Arm.

Hi Arm,

The soldier's records which survive are stored on microfilm, in a room the other side of the hall from the main reading room. It's self-service in the microfilm room, and there are helpful leaflets guiding you through the system. Also the staff take you there on the orientation tour and explain how to access the records.

To get the best possible chance of finding your man's records, you need to check in four places - the normal WO 363 series (the precise reference you already have), then the missorts for WO 363, then WO364 (which are also on microfilm, and were reconstructed from Ministry of Pensions records), and then the WO364 missorts. The location of the missorts is shown on displays in the microfilm reading room. The process is a little complicated at first, but it very quickly becomes second nature.

This is all assuming, of course, that your man wasn't an officer - officers' records are not on microfilm and can be accessed in the same way as any other file.

The orientation tour will explain most of this for you, and of course in situ which makes it all the easier to understand. The staff in the room itself are also very helpful.

Hope this helps, and good luck finding the records.

Arm

In addition to the above advice, I would recommend looking at all the Albert Leaders not just the Albert EDWARD Leaders. Also, if Albert was in the Guards, his service record will be with the Guards Museum / Archives, not the PRO. I hope you find something

Michael