Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battalion Royal Scots

SilverFox100

I have the War Diary for the above from Aug 1914 to May 1919, covering all their time in the Great War. Let me know if you need help. Mike

• 2 years later...

Hi Chris

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am confused as his Grave Registration gives the regiment he was in when he died, which was the Royal Warwickshire 2 8th Bat. But also previous ones Royal Scots and R.W. Fus. http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/73747/WHITE,%20LAWRENCE

Am I misunderstanding what is written down? I am new to this and finding it confusing! Thanks for any help.

Regiment: Royal Warwickshire Regiment Battalion: 2 8th Battalion Regimental Number: 5646 Type of Casualty: Died of wounds Theatre of War: Western European Theatre Comments: Formerly 992, R. Scots

Hi M3vert

You've asked the same question on two threads: I have added the following contribution to your other thread:

"Looking at the his grave registration documents, one document (the handwritten one) says that he was serving with 1st Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment when he died, the other (the printed one and the one that my instinct tells me you should trust) ,that he was serving with 2/8th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Reg. You'll have to work out which, perhaps by finding which battalion was fighting at that place on that date.

1/10th Royal Scots was a training battalion based at Berwick - men often train with one regiment, and then reappear serving on the Western Front with another, and I think that the 3/8th Royal Welsh Fusiliers is likewise a training unit. So I think that you need to concentrate on the two Royal Warwickshire battalions."

To clarify, I think that whoever filled in the handwritten Grave Registration has his service record, and has accidentally copied out two of the units with which he served/trained whilst stioll in the UK, and then the unit with which he went out to France/Flanders (i.e. 1st Royal Warwicks). I suspect that 2/8 Royal Warwicks, who were serving in France in 1916, will turn out to be the unit he was fighting with when he was killed.

William

Hi M3vert,

Chris has given a rather more definitive answer to your question on the other thread that you started on this chap: in case you have lost track of the thread it is: Here.

William

• 1 month later...

Many thanks for the information folks, it is much appreciated. I am getting there now. Once I have completed the story I will come back and update fully. Cheers

Archived