Film - MONS (1926)

simond9x

21 minutes ago, MikeyH said:

Many Germans are armed with SMLE's.

Mike.

Needs must.

You're welcome maxi

Mike

Just finished watching it courtesy of YouTube. Very impressed. I thought some of the terrain looked very much like Salisbury Plain and Springer's post 14 confirms this.

I was particularly interested in the representation of the  two colonel's "surrender" at St Quentin

I'm surprised that none of our resident experts has picked out any discrepancies between the uniforms and equipment featured in the 1926 production and  that of 1914. :devilgrin:

(I think that someone recently started a new thread about the film, but I can't locate it.)

Absolutely brilliant.
A lot of hammy acting in there altho on the whole totally convincing.
Is there any info to be found re the making of the film ?
I take it all those men were the real deal and were professional or territorial soldiers of 1925,when the film was made and that there were veterans in there too.
A lot of the younger soldiers I cant imagine to have taken part in the great war as a lot of them would have to be 10 years younger than their ,allready, very young selves in `Mons`.

On 20/05/2020 at 05:16, MikeyH said:

Many Germans are armed with SMLE's.

13 hours ago, bradley said:

... A lot of hammy acting in there altho on the whole totally convincing.
Is there any info to be found re the making of the film ?
I take it all those men were the real deal and were professional or territorial soldiers of 1925,when the film was made and that there were veterans in there too...

"You maybe interested to know as background info that the 'Extras' for both films were provided by the 1st Battalion Wiltshire Regiment who were stationed at Tidworth at that time". Some of the action must have been filmed on Salisbury Plain and I thought that I "recognised" some of the scenery. I did wonder if some of more fearsome-looking British soldiers were acting as German soldiers, leaving the cleaner-cut ones to play wholesome Tommies.

I guess that there weren't all that many German weapons readily available?

And "hammy acting" would have been usual, to compensate for there being no dialogue.

I too would like to learn more about the making of the film. I wonder if there's anything to be found in contemporary film and military magazines?