Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Moxon, Petroleum co., Calais South cwgc, who was he?

Moriaty

In Calais Southern cemetery there is a CWGC style headstone with a carved cross to:

E Moxon

Asiatic Petroleum Co

11 October 1916

Cherished memories of one so dear are often recalled by silent tear

In the cemetery register it reads:

Civilian Edward Moxon

Employee of the Asiatic Petroleum Company

Died of accidental injuries

11 October 1916 aged 28

I cant trace his name on the CWGC database.

Does anyone have any information about Edward Moxon?

Moriaty

He will not be on the CWGC database if he was a civilian but if the CWGC are maintaining his grave they will have some details available by phone or e-mail.

Moriaty,

Do post any information please. I have an otherwise unknown "E.Noxon" on the Amlwch town war memorial, Anglesey and you never know! There is a very scarce surname "Moxen" mainly Yorkshire & Anglesey 1891-1911, but seems also to be spelled Moxon. Some Noxons as well but nil this spelling Wales 1911.

Couldn't see a (male) E.Moxon / Noxon on the Probate indices that fitted.

Clive

• 2 weeks later...

I have just heard back from the CWGC with regard to my query about Edward Moxon, CWGC say "I regret that we only hold the following brief information with regard to the civilian concerned. Our responsibilities at the cemetery only commenced after the war when the cemetery was handed over to us by the military after the war."

The only information they have is what appears in the cemetery register which I had copied out.

If anyone has an information on Edward Moxon of the Asiatic Petroleum Company, please post it.

Moriaty

Asiatic Petroleum Company seems to have links with Hong Kong (surprise, surprise) and there is a List of Hong Kong Jurors for 1916 which shows a Geoffrey Charles Moxon of Moxon and Taylor (stockbrokers) who must be a relative of Edward.

However, that doesn't answer why Edward was in Calais as a civilian, sorry!

I can only offer the suggestion that his accidental injuries occurred either in Calais or an unloading accident at one of the various fuel depots in the area.

According to the Register of Foreign Deaths he died at 9.35pm on the 11th October 1916 at No 30 British General Hospital, Calais. The information was supplied by Albert Carpente a 25 year old soldier, interpreter to the British Army at Calais and Victor Poiret, a clerk at Calais.

Aled

Thanks for these extra bits of information about Edward Moxon, I will carry on searching to see if I can find any more on him.

Moriaty

• 3 weeks later...

There is what I hope might be useful background at

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=156566

Which includes:

"One of the most remarkable Cadet Units ever raised in Somerset was at the special request of the War Office on June 10, 1916. It was named the Severn Cadet Corps and consisted of 115 boy employees of the Asiatic Petroleum Company. They were sent to France, and with headquarters in Rouen the Cadets were employed as working parties in connection with their trades. They were clothed and equipped by the War Office. In 1917 those classified in Category "A" and who were over 18 were released for service in fighting units whilst other boys were enrolled to take their place."

Ken

Thanks Ken, what a mine of information this forum is! Edward was 28 at the time of his death and described as a "civilian". The mystery continues.

Moriaty

Spof, thanks for the death certificate which gives new information - married, domiciled in Leeds, and an age of 30 (rather than 28 on the CWGC register).

Having had a quick check on the ancestry site, I have found a Charles Edward Moxon whose occupation was given as "mercantile clerk" on his Scottish 1911 marriage banns, his wife to be was Agnes Forrest Bryce. On the 1911 census for Hunslet in Yorkshire, there is an Edward Moxon born in 1888 and living in Hunslet, Yorkshire working as an ironworker.

I wonder if either of these are "our" Edward Moxon?

Incidentally, where did you find the details of the Death Certificate?

Moriaty

Spof, thanks for reminding us all of this really interesting and useful resource. I must have missed the original topic when it was posted.

Moriaty