Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LCpl Charles Viner Discharge

Pierce09

1989 LCpl Charles Viner was discharged from the Manchester Regt 17-7-13 after 3 years in the Army. He was serving in Ireland at the time. just wondered if someone knew what the line under 'medically unfit for military service' was? is it about a pension? i'm still trying to find out why he was medically discharged and if that was the reason he didn't sign up on the outbreak of war a year later

Charlesdischarge.png

just wondered if someone knew what the line under 'medically unfit for military service' was? is it about a pension? i'm still trying to find out why he was medically discharged and if that was the reason he didn't sign up on the outbreak of war a year later.

You missed the word "further" out there. Not the reason for discharge but would be bar of rejoining the colours! Would guess in a bad wayto get that comment so I would not see a reason why he would be fit for military service some 13/14 months later.

that's what i was wondering Scalyback. if it was serious enough to end his career, and still be serious enough that he couldn't even join up to train new men/go to reserve as instructor, it must have been quite serious.

does anyone think i'd be on the right lines searching for a hospital admission in Ireland to find out?

• 8 months later...

Just looked on FindMyPast, his discharge papers are there: http://search.findmypast.com.au/record?id=gbm%2fwo97%2f6136%2f058%2f001&parentid=gbm%2fwo97%2f6136%2f1050616, in addition to the above information the reason is Para 392 (xvi). What that is I don't know, but it may help you narrow things down.

• 3 years later...

thank you BFBSM. i've trawled a few documents from a military hospital in Ireland around 1913 in vein but i think it's safe to say, i probably won't find this out. i think i was in hope that his injury wasn't bad enough that he rejoined when things got desperate in 1916/17 onwards. 

think this is put to bed unless some new documents are released.