Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank 134

raggy

Can anyone identify if it ever existed tank 134.As seen in one of my other posts i have an engine and

transmission manual for the mk1-4.The lowest number i can find is 135 which appears to be named as

"WESTBOURNE".Was 134 a training tank or an early mk1?As yet i can find no evidence that the tank

existed so if any experts out there can help it might fill in some of my on going research. Alan.

134 is a home service number for a male Mk IV. The lowest serial number for a Mk I was 501 Be careful are you in in danger of mixing up a crew number with a tank number ? - there should have been an I 35 (i 35) crew number by all accounts. The Daimler engine was not fitted to Mk V and Mk V* and by the end of the war most (but not all) Mk IVs had been replaced in operational service by these.

Alan

As I said in my post on your other thread, a tank with Home Service Number (aka Training number) 134 would have been a Mark IV Male. All known three digit HSNs starting with 1 were Mark IV Males. I have never seen a photo of 134, but I know for certain that 130, 131, 132, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139 and 140 all existed so it would be very odd for 134 not to. Someone else posted photos of 130 on the other thread.

Where did you find "Westbourne"? This is a new one, to me at least.

Gwyn

Just seen your post Centurion. Good point.

Alan: there are several photos of I35 (i35) which was captured at Cambrai. Many people seem to confuse I (9th) Battalion crew numbers with training numbers, but if you look very carefully there's usually a dot (full stop/period) between the I (i) and the number on I/9th Battalion tanks.

Gwyn

Alan

As I said in my post on your other thread, a tank with Home Service Number (aka Training number) 134 would have been a Mark IV Male. All known three digit HSNs starting with 1 were Mark IV Males. I have never seen a photo of 134, but I know for certain that 130, 131, 132, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139 and 140 all existed so it would be very odd for 134 not to. Someone else posted photos of 130 on the other thread.

Where did you find "Westbourne"? This is a new one, to me at least.

Gwyn

I am a complete amature at this tank research thing so please bear with me and correct me if i am wrong.I was looking on the

landships site,on the tank name list in fact and one of the last names on it was if i remember correctly was WESTBOURNE no135.If you

look at my post Tank Manual you will see the number 134 written on it.Did the manuals have any numbers on them that can identify which

tank they came from?

I am a complete amature at this tank research thing so please bear with me and correct me if i am wrong.I was looking on the

landships site,on the tank name list in fact and one of the last names on it was if i remember correctly was WESTBOURNE no135.If you

look at my post Tank Manual you will see the number 134 written on it.Did the manuals have any numbers on them that can identify which

tank they came from?

I think that should be Westbourne i.35 The only tanks AFAIK with hoime service numbers and names were the tank bank touring tanks (of which 130 was one) but 134 was not one of these nor was 135

With regard to some of the points on your parallel thread. There appears to have only been one. tank park in France - close to the Central Workshops at Erin and the rail head at Plateau. This did not have a number and was officially known as The Tankodrome Whilst most of the tank factories had small testing grounds they appear to have shipped tanks off as soon as they had been completed and tested and so did not have tank parks as such. The big tank park was at Wool near Bovingdon. I don't think there were 13 tank parks much less 130

I am told that Westbourne was Gun Carrier 135.

Gwyn

And would have been fitted with a Daimler 105HP engine