Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guest chaz11186

Hi,

I am trying to research my Great Uncle, William R Dairy. The only information I can find is on the CWGC.

William Dairy served in the Lincolnshire Regiment, 7th Batallion. service number 43831. He died on the 19th September 1919 and is buried in Gauche Wood cemetery.

I have the medal card but it doesn't give much information.....

Does anyone have any information or advice on where else to look.

Many Thanks,

Charlie

SDGW = born and resided Southall Middlesex enlisted Enfield. A lot of families on Ancestry have this man in their family trees. By the way you have his name in your heading as Fairy :blush: whoops

Bedfordshire Regt 6119 appears first on the Medal Card so he is likely to have first landed (after 1915) in a war zone with them. You can get the Battalion from the original medal roll at Kew,WO329/ 860 which has been obtained from the data on the card F/105B16/page 2190.

Hi

William Richard Dairy initially served as a soldier in the 51st Grad Battalion of the Bedfordshire Regiment as No.6119 for his training. These Grad battalions were training units for young soldiers and acted as a training reserve source of men/boys. Often having volunteered when too young for service.

He was transferred in a batch of men who served with the 7th Lincolnshire Regiment. No.'s 43818 to 43857.

In my collection I have numerous medals to men in this batch, most of whom went to the front mid-1917 onwards.

Here is the Medal Roll for William.

In fact all of the chaps numbered 43799 to 43971 were Training Reserve/Graduate Battalion lads.

LMR2076_zps632fe47d.jpg

In this batch, No.43826 or No.6457 Pte. Maurice Archibald Edward Coward 7th Lincs (earlier 51st Grad Beds Regt) was KIA on 23rd March, 1918. This is the nearest man I have to William R. Dairy. He appears on the previous page.

Richard