Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The stories behind the names on Layham (Suffolk) War Memorial

MICHAEL WOODS

Hello.

My name is Michael Woods and I am the current Chairman of Layham Parish Council in Suffolk.

I have been doing my best to put stories of lives to the nineteen names on our village war memorial with the intention to publish a small book for storage in the local church and in our County Record Office.

Social mobility has resulted in none of the families concerned being represented in the current population.

A few have been traced within the area through local publicity.

I am using this medium for the first time and hope that comments and questions may help me take my studies further.

Does Layham in Suffolk raise any interest in anyone out there?

Thank you

Michael Woods

• Admin

Hi Michael and Welcome to the Forum.

My advice is to post a list of the names and any information you have already and see what we can come up with. A relative may also start doing an internet search and find your information.

Glen

I presume you have found the 8 names with Layham connections on the CWGC Debt of Honour ?

I agree with Glen - posting a list of names would be a very good idea.

CGM

Thank you Glen and CGM

The names on Layham War memorial are as follows:

The men who lost their lives during the 1914 -18 War

Bombardier John Crisp, Royal Field Artillery. Aged 29. Buried in Woolwich Cemetery.

Private Edmund Guy Buckenham, Suffolk Regiment. Aged 22. Buried here in Layham.

Private Albert Edward Hynard, Suffolk Regiment. Aged 37. No known grave. Remembered in Belgium.

Private Arthur Frederick Steward, Suffolk Regiment. Aged 24. Buried in France.

Private Arthur Edward Rolfe, Suffolk Regiment. Aged 35. Buried in Greece.

Private George Frederick Ward, Suffolk Regiment. Aged 25. Buried in France.

Private John Welham, Suffolk Regiment. Aged 21. No known grave. Remembered in France.

Captain Joshua Robert Rowley, Highland Light Infantry serving with the Suffolk Regiment. Aged 24. Buried in Gaza.

Gunner Arthur John Beeston, Royal Garrison Artillery. Aged 30. Buried in France.

Private Hugh Pizzey, Yorks and Lancs Regiment. Aged 20. Buried in Belgium.

Private William Rolfe, Suffolk Regiment. Aged 23. No known grave. Remembered in France.

Private Hubert Drake Thomson, Canadian Infantry. Aged 42. Buried in France.

Lieutenant John Miller M.C., Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. Aged 31. Buried in France.

Rifleman Joseph Beer, Rifle Brigade. Aged 30. No known grave. Remembered in France.

Private John Robert Cowans, Royal Field Artillery. Aged 20. Buried in France.

Corporal Herbert Isaac Dunningham, The Queen’s Regiment. Aged 25. Buried in France.

Private Edgar Jack Oxford, Suffolk Regiment. Aged 23. No known grave. Remembered in France.

Lance Corporal Ernest Frederick Rolfe, Cambridgeshire Regiment. Aged 23. Buried in France.

Private William Brian Strutt, Lancashire Fusiliers. Aged 20. No known grave. Remembered in France.

Contact with any relative would be great!

Michael Woods

• Admin

Michael

Rfn Joseph Beer was a Regular in 3 Rifle Brigade arriving in France in Spetember 1914. He was killed in action on 24.3.18. Do a search of these forums for "captured major" and you'll see some mazing research done on the battalion for that time period.

If you have numbers to match the other names, it would be very helpful to edit your list to include them so we don't end up repeating wor

k already done.

Glen

To assist others these are the CWGC details for the listed men of the Layham War Memorial:-

BEER, JOSEPH. Rank: Rifleman. Service No: 293. Date of Death: 24/03/1918.

Regiment/Service: Rifle Brigade. 9th Bn.

Panel Reference: Panel 81 to 84. Memorial: POZIERES MEMORIAL.

BEESTON, ARTHUR JOHN. Rank: Gunner. Service No: 86276. Date of Death: 31/03/1917.

Age: 30. Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery. 230th Siege Bty.

Grave Reference: I. J. 35. Cemetery: AUBIGNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Additional Information: Son of John Richardson Beeston and Emma Beeston, of Raydon, Hadleigh, Suffolk.

(Is this a mistranscription of Layham, CWGC should be notified if so)

BUCKENHAM, E G. Rank: Private. Service No: 1666. Date of Death: 22/02/1915. Age: 20.

Regiment/Service: Suffolk Regiment. 6th Cyclist Bn.

Grave Reference: North West of War Memorial. Cemetery. LAYHAM (ST. ANDREW) CHURCHYARD.

COWAN,(not CowanS) JOHN ROBERT. Rank: Driver. Service No: 625658. Date of Death: 10/09/1918. Age: 20.

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery. 126th Bde.

Grave Reference: II. C. 32. Cemetery: VIS-EN-ARTOIS BRITISH CEMETERY, HAUCOURT.

CRISP, JOHN. Rank: Bombardier. Service No: 12378. Date of Death: 20/10/1914. Age: 29. Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery. 23rd Reserve Bty.

Grave Reference: 11. 1197. Cemetery: WOOLWICH CEMETERY

CRISP, JOHN WILLIAM. Rank: Private. Service No: 201920. Date of Death: 01/10/1918. Age: 29.

Regiment/Service: Suffolk Regiment. (5105). 2nd Bn.

Panel Reference: Addenda Panel. Memorial: VIS-EN-ARTOIS MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of Harriett Crisp of Sulleys Hill, Lower Raydon, nr Hadleigh, Suffolk.

(Is this another transcription error for Layham? If so, is the John Crisp RFA misidentified or also from Layham?)

DUNNINGHAM, HERBERT ISAAC. Rank: Corporal. Service No: 3897. Date of Death: 11/04/1917. Age: 25. Regiment/Service: The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment). 6th Bn.

Grave Reference: II. G. 3A. Cemetery: WIMEREUX COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of Arthur and Mary Ann Dunningham, of Layham, Suffolk.

EDWARDS, G E. (Guy Edmund or Edmund Guy?) Rank: Lance Corporal. Service No: 36933.

Date of Death: 27/09/1918. Regiment/Service: Norfolk Regiment. 1st Bn.

Grave Reference: III. C. 25. Cemetery: LEBUCQUIERE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Additional Information: Son of Mrs. Edwards, of Tulleys Hill, Lower Raydon, Hadleigh, Suffolk.

(Another mistranscription? It’s beginning to look like there is also a Raydon in Suffolk – or a CWGC transcriber should have gone to Specsavers before taking the job!).

FISK, W. Rank: Private. Service No: 270089. Date of Death: 13/09/1918.

Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment. 2nd Bn.

Grave Reference: A. 4. Cemetery: TREFCON BRITISH CEMETERY, CAULAINCOURT

Additional Information: Son of Mrs. L. Fisk, of Providence Villa, Craig Rd., Hurn, Raydon, Southwold, Suffolk.

(Sigh – another one!)

HYNARD, ALBERT EDWARD. Rank: Private. Service No: 18279. Date of Death: 04/05/1915.

Age 37. Regiment/Service: Suffolk Regiment. 1st Bn.

Panel Reference: Panel 21. Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL.

MILLER, JOHN. Rank: Lieutenant. Date of Death: 12/11/1918. Age: 31.

Regiment/Service: Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. 7th Bn. Awards: M C.

Grave Reference: X. A. 1. Cemetery: MONT HUON MILITARY CEMETERY, LE TREPORT

Additional Information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Miller, of Middlebankhead, Denny, Stirlingshire.

OXFORD, EDGAR JACK. Rank: Private. Service No: 43057. Date of Death: 31/10/1918. Age: 23.

Regiment/Service: Suffolk Regiment. 11th Bn.

Panel Reference: Panel 4. Memorial: VIS-EN-ARTOIS MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Oxford, of Pipkin Hill, Layham, Hadleigh, Suffolk.

PIZZEY, HUGH. Rank: Private. Service No: 33358. Date of Death: 21/10/1917. Age: 19.

Regiment/Service: York and Lancaster Regiment. 1st/4th Bn.

Panel Reference: Panel 125 to 128. Memorial: TYNE COT MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of the late Alfred Pizzey, of Brill House, Layham, Hadleigh, Suffolk.

ROLFE, ARTHUR EDWARD. Rank: Private. Service No: 26883. Date of Death: 22/09/1916.

Grave Reference: II. G. 11. Cemetery: STRUMA MILITARY CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of Edward and Mary Ann Rolfe, of Lower Layham, Hadleigh, Suffolk.

ROLFE, ERNEST FREDERICK. Rank: Lance Corporal. Service No: 23919.

Date of Death: 28/08/1918. Age: 23. Regiment/Service: Cambridgeshire Regiment. 1st/1st Bn.

Grave Reference: E. 1. Cemetery: MEAULTE MILITARY CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of Frederick Rolfe; husband of Mrs. E. A. Suttle (formerly Rolfe), of 113, Angel St., Hadleigh, Suffolk.

ROLFE, WILLIAM. Rank: Private. Service No: 50134. Date of Death: 29/05/1917. Age: 33.

Regiment/Service: Suffolk Regiment. "B" Coy, 8th Bn.

Panel Reference: Bay 4. Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of Edward and Mary Rolfe, of Lower Layham, Hadleigh; husband of Ethel May Rolfe, of 11, New Cut, Hadleigh, Suffolk.

ROWLEY, JOSHUA ROBERT. Rank: Captain. Date of Death: 02/11/1917. Age: 24.

Regiment/Service: Highland Light Infantry. attd. 1st/5th Bn. Suffolk Regiment

Grave Reference: XXXI. E. I. Cemetery: GAZA WAR CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of Sir Joshua T. Rowley, 5th Bart., and the Hon. Lady Rowley, of Holbecks. Hadleigh, Suffolk.

STEWARD, ARTHUR FREDERIC. Rank: Private. Service No: 14466. Date of Death: 11/01/1916. Age: 24. Regiment/Service: Suffolk Regiment. 8th Bn.

Grave Reference: I. C. 14. Cemetery: ALBERT COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Additional Information: Son of Frederic and Lucy Steward; husband of the late Lily E. Steward. Born at Layham, Suffolk.

STRUTT, WILLIAM BRIAN. Rank: Private. Service No: 275032. Date of Death: 21/03/1918.

Age: 20. Regiment/Service: Lancashire Fusiliers. 2nd/6th Bn.

Panel Reference: Panel 32 to 34. Memorial: POZIERES MEMORIAL

THOMSON, HUBERT DRAKE. Rank: Private. Service No: 760707. Date of Death: 13/08/1917. Age: 42. Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry. 54th Bn.

Grave Reference: X. E. 14. Cemetery: VILLERS STATION CEMETERY, VILLERS-AU-BOIS

Additional Information: Son of The Rev. F. D. and Cecilia Thomson. Born at Brinkley, Cambridgeshire, England.

WARD, GEORGE FREDERICK. Rank: Private. Service No: 22851. Date of Death: 07/07/1916. Age: 25. Regiment/Service: Suffolk Regiment. 7th Bn.

Grave Reference: III. C. 24. Cemetery: WARLOY-BAILLON COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Additional Information: Son of Robert and Ellen Ward, of Upper Layham, nr. Hadleigh, Suffolk.

WELHAM, JOHN. Rank: Private. Service No: 40496. Date of Death: 12/10/1916. Age: 21. Regiment/Service: Suffolk Regiment. 9th Bn.

Panel Reference: Pier and Face 1 C and 2 A. Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

WW2

HOLMES, ARTHUR ALEXANDER. Rank: Leading Canteen Assistant. Date of Death: 13/05/1942. Age: 21. Regiment/Service: Navy Army and Air Force Institute. H.M.S. Sheffield

Grave Reference: Cemetery: LAYHAM (ST. ANDREW) CHURCHYARD

Additional Information: Son of Harry and Georgina Holmes.

There is a nearby village of Raydon, so there might be some overlap, if so I'm sure Michael can pass them to Raydon.

BARTRAM, SIDNEY ISAAC. Rank: Serjeant. Service No: 2321666. Date of Death: 14/06/1943.

Grave Reference: 3. B. 2. Cemetery: BEIRUT WAR CEMETERY.

Additional Information: Son of Jacob and Ada Bartram, of Layham, Suffolk.

HIRST, ROBERT SYDNEY THOMSON. Rank: Second Lieutenant. Service No: 201528.

Date of Death: 04/10/1941. Age: 34. Regiment/Service: Royal Artillery. 2 Field Regt.

Grave Reference: Cons. Sec. 12. Grave 50. Cemetery: HUDDERSFIELD (EDGERTON) CEMETERY.

Additional Information: Son of Frederick William and Florence Edith Hirst, of Huddersfield; husband of Kathleen Hirst, of Raydon, Suffolk.

HOPES, JACK. Rank: Flight Sergeant. Trade: Nav./W.Op. Service No: 1550365.

Date of Death: 02/07/1945. Age: 22.

Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. 211 Sqdn.

Grave Reference: 1. L. 5. Cemetery: MADRAS WAR CEMETERY, CHENNAI

Additional Information: Son of Sidney C. Hopes and Ruth Hopes, of Raydon, Suffolk.

SAINSBURY, OLIVER MICHAEL. Rank: Lieutenant. Service No: 253898.

Date of Death: 30/01/1944. Regiment/Service: Grenadier Guards. 6th Bn.

Grave Reference: V, D, 10. Cemetery: MINTURNO WAR CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of Alfred and Violette Dorothy Sainsbury, of Raydon, Suffolk.

STIFF, ALFRED HENRY. Rank: Private. Service No: 32203. Date of Death: 20/11/1917. Age: 20.

Regiment/Service: Essex Regiment. 1st Bn.

Panel Reference: Panel 7 and 8. Memorial: CAMBRAI MEMORIAL, LOUVERVAL

Additional Information: Son of Mr. Harry Stiff, of Mount Pleasant, Lower Raydon, Hadleigh, Suffolk.

STIFF, GEORGE. Rank: Private. Service No: 16109. Date of Death: 20/07/1916. Age: 37.

Regiment/Service: Essex Regiment. "A" Coy. 10th Bn.

Panel Reference: Pier and Face 10 D. Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of Elizabeth Stiff, of Raydon, Hadleigh, Suffolk, and the late Alfred Stiff; husband of Mary Louisa Stiff, of "Holton", Softwater Lane, Hadleigh, Essex. Enlisted November, 1914.

STOGGLES, BERTIE CHARLES. Rank: Private. Service No: 49693. Date of Death: 22/09/1917. Age: 24. Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers. 32nd Bn.

Grave Reference: II. A. 4. Cemetery: WESTOUTER CHURCHYARD AND EXTENSION

Additional Information: Son of John Thomas and Mary Ann Stoggles, of Sulley's Hill, Raydon, Hadleigh, Suffolk.

TRICKER, HENRY THOMAS. Rank: Private. Service No: 15236. Date of Death: 20/03/1915.

Grave Reference: B. 7. Cemetery: SUFFOLK CEMETERY, VIERSTRAAT

Additional Information:: Son of Samuel and Ellen Tricker, of "California," Hintlesham, Ipswich. Native of Raydon, Hadleigh, Suffolk. Enlisted 24th Aug.1914.

WHITE, HARRY. Rank: Private. Service No: G/48848. Date of Death: 27/09/1917. Age: 19.

Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers. 4th Bn.

Grave Reference: LVII. E. 25. Cemetery: TYNE COT CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of Bishop and Phillis White, of Sulleys Hill, Raydon, Hadleigh, Suffolk.

Just to add an extra complication, there are a number of men who were born in Layham who do not appear, for whatever reason, on the War Memorial:-

Edgar Bruce, Pte., 8761, 1st Norfolk, 15.9.14

Charles Herbert Edgar Carter, Pte., 10113, Coldstream Guards, 29.10.14

Frederick Michael Oxford, Sgt., 73028, RFA, 23.7.16

Henry Clarke, CSM, 3/9827, 7th Suffolks, 12.10.16

William Charles Grimwade, L/Cpl., 40195, 4th Beds., 10.2.17

Edwin Alfred Garnham, Pte., G/13621, 1st Queens, 20.5.17

Bertie Jack Steed, L/Cpl., 34516, 10th DCLI, 8.6.17

William George Oxford, Gnr., 166351, RGA, 11.12.17

Frank Brewster Green, Pte., 29266, 9th Essex, 10.9.18

All nine were born there, but not on the memorial.

Bruce

C H E Carter I can clear up

Carter, Charles Herbert Edgar, Private 10113, 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards, eldest son of Charles William Peter Carter of Rose Cottage, Gacious Pond, Chobham, by his wife, Eliza, widow of Amos Packham, daughter of the late William Sadler; born Laleham, co Middlesex, 16th February 1895; educated Long Cross School, near Chertsey; enlisted 2nd May 1913, and was killed in action near Ypres, 29th October 1914; unmarried.

He is commemorated on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium, panel 11.

Also his brother

William George Carter was born in Sunningdale and lived in Woking. He enlisted in Eastbourne. Recorded as private 39755 in the East Surrey Regt Att London Regt (First Surrey Rifles). He is buried in JerusalemWar cemetery. Formerly 72229 134th Field Ambulance RAMC

Both are named on the plaque in Chobham church.

I don't want to be pedantic, but I'm moving this to soldiers. I appreciate that it could fit in memorials as well, butI need to make a choice.

Keith

From London Gazette 29/7/1919 p.9756

Lt. John Miller, l/7th Bn. Arg. & Suth'd Highrs.

For marked gallantry on several occasions between October- 12th/22nd, 1918. Particularly during an attack on Lieu St. Amand on October 13th,, when his company was held up in front of the village by intense machine-gun fire. He .maintained his position with his platoon all day, and .several times attempted to move forward and 'gain the village. His platoon was quite isolated.

Later, -he volunteered to put up a bridge across the River Ecaillon in the face of enemy machine guns

posted 100 yards away, and successfully accomplished the task, but was . severely wounded just as he was moving away.

I can tell you the answer to that Ken.

He was born in Denny, son of Thomas & Jane Miller nee Hamilton. The family lived at Middle Bankhead Farm before moving (prior to the 1901 Census) to Cardonald, Renfrewshire.

He was one of 7 children all born at Denny.

The Miller Family have an impressive family obelisk/gravestone in Denny Cemetery on which John is listed although he's not listed on any local memorials.

His connection to Suffolk is through his elder brother James whose details are included on John's MIC. (J. Miller Esq., Hill Farm, Layham. Hadleigh, Suffolk.)

Soldiers are often remembered where family lived and not where they lived

• 1 month later...

Hello Gentlemen

You must think me very rude for not having replied to your responses to my question. Personal circumstances have led to me being away from the computer for some weeks. Only now can I catch up!

I am sorry for the delay.

Thank you all for taking so much trouble to give me information - I shall cross chexck this all with my own knowledge and there are bound to be some leads.

As this is the first foray I have made into one of these websites I have learned that it is better to restrict the enquiry to one person or one question - so as not to waste people's time in digging over old bones.

I may well be back with a specific question once I have done my homework.

Thank you all - and a very good New Year to you.

Michael Woods

• 7 months later...

Hello friends

I have emerged again after months of work - I am very near to concluding the first draft of a 100 page book on our War Memorial.

A 99 year old daughter of one of the remembered soldiers has been tracked down and she confirms what I have discovered about her father's war service and death.

However, she insists that he served as a professional soldier from 1902 - 1908 in Ireland. She is clear that he was with 3rd Battalion Suffolk Regiment. They did not leave Bury St Edmunds during that period. Her father was back in Suffolk as a "horseman" for the 1911 census.

I am wondering if anyone out there can suggest how this man could have been in Ireland OR where he might have served if his daughter has the facts wrong.

Details:

William Rolfe born 1884

Lived in Layham, Suffolk 1891,1901 and 1911 censuses

Married Ethel May Skinner 6 December 1913 and moved to live in Hadleigh, Suffolk.

Daughter born summer 1915.

Joined the Suffolk Regiment (50134) but do not know when and served with "B" Company 8th Battalion

Died and is buried at Arras 29 May 1917

Death certificate has supplementary note - Formerly 34548

If you have time to help me tidy this up I would be grateful.

Thank you

Michael Woods