Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery - Cyclist 50 - G.A. Howlett

stephen p nunn

Evening all. A friend has been in touch with me to ask about her grandfather - George Arthur HOWLETT - who she thought was KIA during the Great War. I said I would do a bit of research but little did I know what would emerge!

He was in the Army Cyclist Corps with the service number "50". It turns out he was born here in Maldon and was with the 8th Essex Cycle Battalion from 11/3/1911 until he was discharged on 14/11/14. He then joined the ACC and arrived in France on 30/11/14. He was "in the field" with the 3rd Division Cyclist Company and was, indeed, KIA on 9/8/15.

The amazing thing is that his full service record survives. There is loads of detail in it - including information about the personal items returned to his mum.

What is odd, however, is that it says he was buried in a cemetery "just outside the north-west edge of the wood in I34a (Belgium) 1/40,000 Sheet 28". But today he is on the Menin Gate. How can that be?

Does anyone out there know what George's movements were from November 14 until his death and where that burial spot is and why he is not remembered there? Was the cemetery subsequently blown up perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

But today he is on the Menin Gate. How can that be?

The menin gate covers men with no known surviving grave - it's likely that his grave as destroyed by later fighting

Craig

The menin gate covers men with no known surviving grave - it's likely that his grave as destroyed by later fighting

Craig

Hi Craig - yes I know that. I was just wondering if anyone knew the specifics about this story and the location.

SPN

Maldon

Dear all,

I have discovered that Sheet 28 covers the Ypres area, but can anyone pinpoint a former cemetery; "just outside the north-west edge of the wood in I34a (Belgium) 1/40,000 Sheet 28"?

Many thanks.

SPN
Maldon

SPN,

There are four cemeteries on the Sheet 28 Square I.34 extract below.

As I read them, from top to bottom:

Woods Cemetery

East Surrey Farm [of which I'm yet to find a reference to]

Hedge Row {Trench?] Cemetery

1st DCLI Cemetery (The Bluff)

post-20576-0-20499600-1384462349_thumb.j

And an overlay on Google Earth:

post-20576-0-23295100-1384462413_thumb.j

Phil

This is brilliant Phil. Thank you so very much. It looks like we might be able to narrow it down to 4 locations then - unless there was a temporary cemetery elsewhere.

Woods is still there and no mention of shelling.

First DCLI is still there and no mention of shelling

Hedge Row Trench is still there and suffered very badly with shelling

I have never heard of East Surrey Farm

So, was he buried in Hedge Row and then lost, or was he in East Surrey and now lost?

Odd.

Regards.

SPN
Maldon

SPN,

East Surrey Farm appears to be the extended section of Woods Cemetery. I hadn't noticed the odd shape until I zoomed in after finding the map below, which dates from 1916. The CWGC info on Woods Cemetery (below) shows that a number are unidentified.

From CWGC:

"Woods Cemetery was begun by the 1st Dorsets and the 1st East Surreys in April 1915; it was used until September 1917 by units holding this sector, and by the field ambulances of their divisions. The graves of the 2nd, 3rd and 10th Canadian Battalions and the London Regiment are particularly numerous. The irregular shape of the cemetery is due to the conditions of burial at the times when the front line was just beyond the wood. The views over the battlefield are extensive.
Woods Cemetery contains 326 First World War burials, 32 of them unidentified."

[My emphasis throughout]

post-20576-0-19173200-1384637762_thumb.j

Phil

Crikey Phil Makes you think doesn't it. I wonder if that was where he was buried in August 1915 "just outside the north-west edge of the wood" and that his burial was subsequently lost through shelling? Mind you, why not say "known to be buried in this cemetery" rather than put him on the Menin Gate?

Thanks for your continued help Phil - it is very much appreciated.

Regards.

SPN
Maldon

Been right through a run of two contemporary newspapers and parish magazines to try and find a picture of George Howlett - but sadly no joy. Am meeting his descendent tomorrow night.

Regards.

SPN
Maldon.