Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ardricque

DaveR

Does anyone know where/what Ardricque is? 11/SLR War Diary says Sir John Harrington was appointed commandant of Ardricque in 1916.

Probably Audruicq. It's about 10 kilometres SSE of Calais, between Ardres and Bourbourg. It was a big depot/base with a few mentions here.

thanks

• 1 month later...
Hello

I live in audruicq.

There was an ammunition depot that exploded in 1916.

I am currently trying to trace the history of the camp

If you have any information on this camp please contact me

Thanks

vigo2603

A couple of years ago I sent two residents of Audruiqu substantial information about the raid on the depot. If you would like to pm me your e mail address I may still be able to assist you.

TR

vigo2603

Mid May 1916, Lt. Colonel Harrington, who was C.O. of 11th South Lancashire Regiment in France, went to England on sick leave. While in England he was appointed Commandant at Audruicq and was replaced as C.O. by Lt. Colonel Fenn, late of the 21st Royal Fusiliers. Sir John Harrington, K.C., M.G., K.C.V.O., C.B., was a retired ex Indian Army man.

Dave

I was under the impression that Lt Col Wolrige Gordon, ex co 21st RF took over on tbe disbandment of his battalion.

I was at Kew on Thursday getting the depot diary and court of enquiry reports for the explosion. The latter makes interesting reading. Funnily enough the diary covering the air raid in July is absent.
Kind regards

Colin

Just for clarity: Lt-Col Fenn ex 21/RF took over as C.O. of 11/SLR.

Dave

May I offer my grovelling apologies - I should have checked my facts and worded things better - I meant to state he took over the depot, not 11th S Lancs. Wolrige Gordon was in command of 19th RF until it was disbanded and then went to Audruicq Depot to command; presumably in Harrington's place.

I'll need to be a bit more careful of checking facts before speaking!

Kind regards

Colin

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you to all for this information.

Terry_Reeves : Thank you for your help, it is to me that you have sent documents there about two years

We're gathering all the information to write a book. I will reserve a copy.

The area being under British control, it is not easy for us to find infos.

So thank you for your participation

Vigo2603.

Vigo

It was my pleasure, if I can help further please let me know. I understand that you are going to hold an exhibition, can you tell me when it is likely to be?

TR

• 1 year later...

Hello

Further to the posting by Colin W Taylor regarding the explosion at Audruic on 25 April 1916 when "5 were killed and 25 injured" (War Diary WO95/120). I would be interested to know more about the court of enquiry reports. I have the War Diary extract which states the explosion was in the "bomb-charging marquee". On the 26th April the BM was "in attendance at the Court of Inquiry". The dead were from Special Brigade 5th Battalion, Royal Engineers as were eight of the injured.

Thanks

Simon