Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurses on Hospital Ships at Gallipoli

Guest GFC1915

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me? I'm trying to find a list of the nurses who served on each of the Hospital Ships at Gallipoli? I have found this list of ships that I believe were used to transport wounded, but I'm unsure how I would find out the nurses who served on them? any ideas would be really appreciated! Thanks

Osmanieh
Gascon
Clan Macgillivray
Seang Bee
Lutzow
Ionian
Aragon
Doiigola
Southland
Guildford Castle

GFC, have you tried Google?

Advanced search

Top line, "all these words": Nurse Gallipoli

Next line, "this exact word or phrase": - hospital ship

Kath.

Hi there

There were a total of 56 hospital ships operating in the Gallipoli campaign in the Mediterranean/Aegean Sea in 1915. I can find no files for these ships for the year 1915 in the National Archives Kew.

Nurses also served on some transport ships in the Gallipoli campaign in the Mediterranean when they were converted to ambulance carriers.

Of the ships you mention, Gascon, Dongola, Ionian, Clan McGillivray and Guildford Castle had nurses at some stage of the campaign. The Aragon was anchored at Lemnos and used as a HQ ship. Osmanieh is listed as a hospital ship by A.G Butler vol 1 p 126 but I can find no evidence of this.

cheers

Kirsty

• 8 years later...

Hi

Here is a start at listing the nurses who served during the Gallipoli campaign on hospital ships. I’m hedging my bets with the headings ‘Likely’, ‘Possible’ & ‘Unlikely but researched’. With some of the ships I haven’t even been able to find anyone so all suggestions/corrections needed.

General links:

MIC (medal index cards)here:https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-medal-index-cards-1914-1920/

British nurses records here:https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-nurses-service-records-1914-1918/

ANZAC Nurses here:https://discoveringanzacs.naa.gov.au/Search/AdvancedSearch

Regards ZeZe

image.jpeg.360d4c9150684e42a328c1e5b88209e0.jpeg

image.jpeg.a9ceda0c09ebaac8043a10acf0bff367.jpeg

image.jpeg.e80e7ed7b266596a954af3ced1ecffcf.jpeg

Gallipoli-Nurses-Possible-&-Unlikely.jpg

Edited by ZeZe
better quality image

ZeZe,

Elsie HODGKINSON has a pension record on Ancestry/Fold 3. Her unit is recorded on Ancestry as A.A.I.M.N.S.R {it is actually Q.A.I.M.N.S.R. on her record} .;- UK, World War I Pension Ledgers and Index Cards, 1914-1923 - Ancestry.co.uk

There is also a medal roll record for Staff Nurse A.M. LANSDOWN, Q.A.I.M.N.S.R. ;- UK, World War I Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920 - Ancestry.co.uk

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm
Unit clarified for Elsie HODGKINSON

Hi Alf McM,

Thanks for the info which completes a few unknown's.

My usual source of Red Cross Volunteer info has been down for a few weeks but may be up and running in September.

https://www.redcross.org.uk/about-us/our-history/first-world-war-volunteers?

I tried to check the official records for most of the nurses but often, as you know, there are few clues left in the files. At least the downloads at TNA have been free otherwise I wouldn’t have got off the ground.

M. Lansdown is an odd one. According to the MIC, not identical with Adelia Martha Lansdown. Also doesn’t appear to be an ANZAC.

Regards ZeZe

ZeZe,

You are correct that Adelia Martha Lansdown is not the same as M. Lansdown. I have just checked Adelia's record and she was based at Gibraltar.

Transcripts of the Red Cross record cards are available on Findmypast, although it is handy to be able to check the original cards.  https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-records/british-army-british-red-cross-society-volunteers-1914-1918

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm

Hi ZeZe

I should be able to add a few Australian nurses to your list.  However, as I have so many different incomplete databases and individual files - it's all a bit of a mess to sort them out, so could take a while and you'll have to wade your way through what I put up I'm afraid!

Firstly, some info from my file on the hospital ship Sicilia:

[Note: the Lady Birds were 4 Aussie civilian nurses who left Australia in 1914 with Dr Bird, and joined the QAIMNSR in Egypt]

Nurses on HS Sicilia:

Elsie Gibson’s Diary (AANS)

Apr 8th 1915 (Alexandria):  …10am we got into the Motor Ambulances – there were 5 Sisters 2 Staff Nurses & Miss Gould came to Cairo to pay us & hand us over to Colonel Bird.  They called us the 7 little Australians there were Sisters Marshall, Gordon King, Radcliff, Gibson, Tucker, St N LK King & Wakeford.  We arrived at Station got paid up to date & joined Col Bird, his son & the 4 Nurses of Col Birds (we call them the Lady Birds) & Miss Fawcett who is an Imperial Sister & in charge making 12 Sisters in all.

[MARSHALL, Clementina Hay (tsfd to Gascon); KING, Alice Gordon; RADCLIFF, Janet; TUCKER, Ella Jane (tsfd to Gascon); KING, Lydia Kate; WAKEFORD, Muriel Leontine (tsfd to Gascon)]

….our new O.C. Col Gimlett….

….we were taken aboard our Hospital Ship “HMHS Sicilia”.  Am not sure how many Medical Men we have but there are not many.  About 5 or 6 Surgeons, & about as many Assistants & some sub-assistants.  We have 12 orderlies & the other Orderlies are Indians.  This Ship is supposed to be one of the best fitted Hosp Ships & is owned & run at the expense of the Indian Government.  Our cabins are very nice & as far as possible I think they will make us as comfortable as they can.

Apr 12th:  Sailed about 11.30am.

Apr 15th:  Arrived near Lemnos about 5.30am.

[Elsie left Sicilia for the Gascon 23/4/15 – with Elsie Tucker, Muriel Wakeford and Clementina Marshall]

The Lady Birds:

*S/Nurse Doris Marion GREEN [Dr Bird’s Unit / QAIMNSR]

https://discoveringanzacs.naa.gov.au/browse/person/902380

*Nurse Adelaide Louisa HARTRICK [Dr Bird’s Unit / Sister, QAIMNSR]

*Sister Minnie Maud McNAB [Dr Bird’s Unit / QAIMNSR]

https://discoveringanzacs.naa.gov.au/browse/person/900635

*(Muriel Alice ROBERTSON [Dr Bird’s Unit / QAIMNSR])

*Matron: Miss Kathleen F. Fawcett (RRC, QAIMNS) – [to be Acting Matron 8/4/1915 to 21/8/1916 (from list in Brit SR of Matron Graham)]

*Sister Lydia Kate KING (Kath/leen) (AANS) [25/4/1915…. – she served on Franconia May - Aug]

https://discoveringanzacs.naa.gov.au/browse/person/51080

[Gallipoli and the Anzacs website:

“Working on the hospital ship Sicilia, Sister Lydia King confided to her diary:

I shall never forget the awful feeling of hopelessness on night duty.  It was dreadful.  I had two wards downstairs, each over 100 patients and then I had small wards upstairs – altogether about 250 patients to look after, and one orderly and one Indian sweeper.  Shall not describe their wounds, they were too awful.  One loses sight of all the honour and the glory in the work we are doing.”]

*Alice Gordon KING (AANS) [25/4/1915....]

https://discoveringanzacs.naa.gov.au/browse/person/50511

*Sister Janet RADCLIFF (AANS) [25/4/1915….]

https://discoveringanzacs.naa.gov.au/browse/person/287935

*Edith Attwater FABER (AANS) – “Proceeded to join M.E.F. 9/7/15” – HS Sicilia

“Has been doing duty on Hospital Ship “Grantully Castle” returned to Gezira today” – 4/11/15

Cheers, Frev

From my file on the HS Assaye:

[Mary Anne Bessie Pocock – received orders for HS Assaye July 1915 – returned to duty from HMT Assaye 21/1/1916]

Diaries: https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/RCDIG0001512/

List of staff p.30 21/7/1915: “I have with me for staff the following, all staff nurses”’

Staff nurses: M. Foley (trained in Dublin), Frost (trained Vic – sic), Hook (trained Vic), Gilliland (trained Adelaide – sic), Ford, Day, Vicars Foote [All nurses recalled 31/8/1915, and replaced]

Major Crosthwait, O.C., R.A.M.C.; ?Adams; Williams; Berry; Cane; Rigby; 45 Orderlies

[Major William Sylvester Crosthwait – from Jun 1915 (also Braemar Castle) (Civil surgeon, 2nd Boer War)]

[Berry, Percy Haycraft https://kingscollections.org/warmemorials/guys-hospital/memorials/berry-percy-haycraft]

QAIMNSR:

FOLEY (trained in Dublin)

FROST, Winifred (Aus)

HOOK, Daisy May (Aus)

GILLILAND, Winifred Anna Cameron (Aus, also AANS)

FORD, Ada (Aus)

DAY, Mary Agnes [1915: Assaye & Gloucester Castle (p.13 of SR)] (Aus)

VICKERS FOOTE, Evelyn Mary [21 Gen Hosp since 1/9/1915 (p.13 of SR) (Aus)

[see nurses narrative for Vickers-Foote, who comments she was on Assaye for 3 & 4 mths?? – a bad memory, as her diary had gone to the bottom of the sea with the Mongolia]

31.8.15 All sisters recalled.  Very sorry to lose Sister Frost.

2nd[Sept] 3 pm “Sisters began to arrive”  “given me 9 this time” Leary, Paton [arrived 1st]; Dickson, Cawood, Bromley, Wilkins, McCarthy, Stacey, Conway.”

5.9.15 “left Alex 2pm Sunday aft.  Arrived Mudros 11.30am Tuesday 7th.  Left Mudros 7.15pm Tuesday 7th Arrived Imbros about 5.45am 8th

4 AANS Nurses (+ Bessie Pocock) / 5 QAIMNSR Nurses [as per photo B57608 SL of SA]

https://collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/resource/B+57608

AANS Nurses:

DICKSON, Clarice Molyneux

CAWOOD, Dorothy Gwendoline

BROMLEY, Mina Alice

WILKINS, Ethel Beatrice May

QAIMNSR Nurses:

LEARY, Nora (Brit)

PATON

McCARTHY

STACY, Eleanor Bessie (Aus)

CONWAY, Kathleen Lydia (Aus)

All served until 20/1/1916 – ship then went to India without nurses

Cheers, Frev

From my file on the HS Grantully Castle

[Note: Sorry about the all these messy notes - hope you can make sense of them (yell if not, as I have individual files with detail, letters, etc, on most of these nurses if needed]

Nurses who served on her in 1915 (HS):

*BROWN, Mabel Isabel – posted 7/7/1915, one trip to Cape Helles (then tsfd to Guildford Castle)

*KING, Amy – 29/7/1915 (letter) – “returned from transport duty with MEF 28/9/15”

*KING, Lydia Kate – “Has been doing duty on HS Grantully Castle returned to Ghezira today” 4/11/15 (SR) – previously on Sicilia (poss till Aug 15th)

*LYONS, Stella Zita – posted from 5/7/1915 (Guildford Castle – letters Oct {published}, Dec 1915)

*ZICHY-WOINARSKI, Valerie Henrietta – posted from 5/7/15 to 29/9/15 (SR), 29/7/1915 (letter)

*KING, Alice Gordon – sometime after July 1915 to Mar 1916 [photo, arrival at Salonika 11/10/15]

*RADCLIFF, Janet – same as Alice

*FABER, Edith Attwater – “Proceeded to join M.E.F. 9/7/15” – HS Sicilia

“Has been doing duty on Hospital Ship “Grantully Castle” returned to Gezira today” – 4/11/15

Early 1915 letters from Egypt: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/86104392

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/229319168

*HARTRICK, Adelaide Louisa (Addie) – Dr Bird’s Unit / QAIMNSR [Photo Oct 1915]

Miss Kathleen Fawcett, QAIMNS – Matron on HS Sicilia and HS Grantully Castle – 1915

[served in Egypt from 4/8/1914 – Medal Roll]

Matron E.N. Collins 31/7/1915 – this was Sister E.R. Collins, QAIMNS (acting Matron on HS Grantully Castle from 6/6/1915 – from Medal Roll)

Nurse Blanche Williams (married Walter Surry Stevens 1917, seafarer with Union Castle Line) served on hospital ship Grantully Castle during WW1 – they met on the ship:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/accessions/2014/14returns/14ac136.htm

Eleanor Cowin, QAIMNS – served Alexandria and then on board HS Grantully Castle 1916

https://www.imuseum.im/search/agent_record/view/4320?id=mnh-agent-1181608&type=agent&tab=all&from=4320&term=&size=80&sort=&filter=&view=&images=&ttmgp=0&rfname=&rlname=&machine=&race=&raceyear=&linked=0&pos=4379

Cheers, Frev

Edited by frev

HS Guildford Castle:

ZeZe - I was scanning through this file trying to work out which bits to cut out for you - especially since, like most of my files, it's a work in progress and needs some attention - and also as the formatting goes haywire when I cut and paste here, it all spreads out, and takes up so much room! - but gave up and have included most that mentions the nurses (sorry!)

[British Matron Mary Helen Graham, (RRC) QAIMNS – Matron of HS Guildford Castle 21/4/1915 to the 18/5/1915; Matron of the HS Neuralia 18/5/1915 to the 27/1/1916]

AANS Nurses:

*CHAPMAN, Eva Helen – Guildford Castle 21/4/1915; Neuralia

*RICHMOND, Daisy Donaldson – Guildford Castle 21/4/1915; Neuralia (by 2/9/15 / still 16/1/16)

*SPALDING, Florence Ethel – Guildford Castle 21/4/1915; Neuralia (by 2/9/15 / still 16/1/16)

The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA), Thur 25 Apr 1935 (p.8): Memories of Anzac Day, 1915

By SISTER E. CHAPMAN

On April 21, 1915, the Guildford Castle, one of the three hospital ships detailed for duty on the first Anzac Day, and carrying as its nursing staff an English matron, two sisters from New South Wales, and myself, sailed from Port Said to Lemnos Island, the Allies’ naval base in the Gallipoli campaign.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/37283156

Nambucca and Bellinger News (NSW), Fri 18 Jun 1915 (p.3): In the thick of the fight

A NURSING SISTER’S EXPERIENCE

Colonel Spalding, of Macksville, has a niece “Sister Spalding” engaged in tending the wounded at the Dardanelles.  This lady has written to her parents in Sydney, and the vivid description of the fighting given by her will be the better understood after reading the letter appended: –

We are terribly busy and have now been at the Dardanelles for six days, looking after the wounded, and now we are taking hundreds back to Alexandria.  It has been frightfully exciting; the other hospital boats filled up, and went away at once, but ours has remained at the Dardanelles for six days.  We were in the centre and had the warships all around, besides over 100 transports.  We were in the midst of it all, the boats never ceased firing for 2 days, and our boat was much shaken with the oscillation.  The Colonel thinks we may be doing this work from 3 to 6 months or more but no one knows.  The Colonel (Imperial Officer) whom I much like, says it is a most unique thing for us to see the naval guns going, as well as those on land.  We were a mile from shore, but could see plainly through field glasses.

Everything is very military on this boat.  We have to sit at our appointed places at table. – The Colonel sits at the head, Miss Graham on his right and I on his left; then the Majors; then the other nurses; then the Captains and so on.  We have a beautiful deck cabin, one to each of us.  We have just passed 12 boats, it was 2 men-of-war convoying the other boats along &c.

Excerpts from Daisy Richmond’s Diary – from “We have not forgotten” Yass & Districts War 1914-1918 (by C. Mongan & R. Reid)

(p.151-2) 25 April:  A great movement of boats took place from 5am to 7am.  Quite thirty to the Dardanelles, truly a wonderful sight, the Gascoyne [sic] and the Cecilia [sic] both moving off.  The looked lovely for it is a perfect clear day, the water as smooth as glass.  Later in the day seven French steamers came into the harbour.  Very heavy firing in the direction of the Dardanelles during the day.

26 April:  Leave Lemnos Island 7 am and have a short smooth passage to the Dardanelles, arriving there 11.30 am.  Heavy bombardments.

*BROWN, Mabel Isabel – posted 7/7/1915, one trip to Cape Helles on Grantully Castle, then tsfd to Guildford Castle

*LYONS, Stella Zita – Grantully Castle; Guildford Castle

*SORENSEN, Christense – (Grantully Castle) Guildford Castle

*LOUGHREY, Bernice – (Grantully Castle?) Guildford Castle (detailed for duty MEF 22/7/15, tsfd to HS GC 7/8/15)

“On the hospital ship Guildford Castle off Gallipoli in early 1915, British Matron E. Collins found the Australian nurses working for her ‘very well trained and most devoted to the care of their patients.  They are splendid nurses…able to rise to emergencies and adaptable under varied conditions.’” (Butler, Vol III, 552)

[p.3 Red rag to a British bull?: Australian trained nurses working with British nurses during World War 1 – Kirsty Harris]

The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), Wed 8 Sept 1915 (p.11): THE RED CROSS WORK IN EGYPT

………………………………………………… For instance, under date July 31 we received a letter from the matron of the hospital ship Grantully Castle (Miss E.N. Collins), in which the writer, who so far as I know is a stranger to Australia, states:

I am the matron on this hospital ship.  We go to the Dardanelles, and bring the wounded to Egypt and Malta, and I wanted to let you know how greatly we value all the Red Cross gifts.  ………………  I have six Australian Sisters on my staff; …………………………………………  https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/15612207

Matron E.N. Collins 31/7/1915:

UK Medal Roll 1914/15 Star: Sister E.R. Collins, QAIMNS, entered theatre of war 6/6/1915; acting Matron HS Grantully Castle [to be Acting Matron from 15/6/1915 to 7/4/1919; Principal Matron 1932 (as per list in Brit SR of Matron Graham)

July only? tsfd to Guildford Castle 8/8/15?

Official History – Medical, Vol 3, Chapter XI – The Australian Army Nursing Service, p.551-2:

In the Gallipoli Campaign……………..  Each hospital ship had its quota of trained female nurses, ……

Of the Australian nurses’ work here the British Matron [Sister E.R. Collins, QAIMNS] in the Hospital Ship Guildford Castle, 1915-16, wrote:

“The following members of the A.A.N.S. were attached for duty on the H.S. Guildford Castle on July 5, 1915. [This would have been the Grantully Castle – transferred to the Guildford Castle 8/8/15]

Sisters V. Woinarski, M. Brown, A. King, E. Vierk, C. Sorensen; Staff Nurse Z Lyons; and Staff Nurse B. Loughrey joined the staff about two months later.

I do not consider any of these ladies showed any deficiencies as regards training.  Their devotion to duty was most marked, they are splendid medical and surgical nurses, and proved loyal and willing workers.  Their discipline was good – they never once questioned an order given – and they are able to rise to emergencies and proved adaptable under varied conditions.

At the beginning, of course, they did not know the Military Regulations, never having worked under them, but very quickly picked up the regimental parts of the usual routine in Military Nursing.  Staff Nurse B. Loughrey was Theatre Sister for nearly 12 months, and did most excellent work, giving great satisfaction to the Surgeons.

All these ladies showed good common sense and judgement; they work well together, and are not afraid of any amount of hard work.

I cannot speak too highly of them, or of their care and devotion to the sick and wounded, and their loyal support to me at all times.

Ordinary civil hospital work does not help one with regard to the Military part of a Military Hospital; all Sisters must know Regulations, and it is impossible to learn all these points unless one is attached to Military Units.  It was marvellous how quickly these ladies grasped the Military part of the work, and how excellent they were from a disciplinary point of view.

I am more than sorry that I shall not have the pleasure of working with them all again.”

Letter from Mabel Brown to the War Office 12/12/1925 [p.7-8 of service record]:

Sir, I hear I am entitled to the “Marine” War Medal or the Mesopotamian Medal, and if I really am entitled to them, would feel honoured to wear them.

I was lent to the B.E.F. from the A.I.F. No.1 A.G.H. Heliopolis, on 7/7/15 joining the “Grantully Castle” Hosp. Ship on that date, we made one trip to Cape Helles, & then were transferred to the “Guildford Castle” Hosp. Ship going back & forth to Gallipoli until November 1915 when we met with an accident in Lemnos Bay, as we were loaded with patients we were sent straight “Home” for repairs, we then came back to Alexandria and there sent on to Bombay, from there we did the Gulf trip to Basra, until the end of September 1916 or Oct. I am not quite certain, I was a few weeks at M Freeman Thomas Hosp. whilst waiting for permission from the War Office to return to No.1 A.G.H.  I left India Nov 1916.

I had been senior Sister & acting Matron on the “Guildford Castle.”   I am Sir your obedient servant, Mable Brown

The Western Champion and General Advertiser… (Barcaldine, Qld), Sat 23 Oct 1915 (p.9):   Letters from the Front

Sister Zita Lyons

Sister Zita Lyons writes to her brother at Barcaldine, concerning Sergt Leon Lyons, from H.M.H.S. “Guildford Castle”: – This is a fine hospital ship.  It is supposed to be one of the best.  There are six doctors – three English and three Indians – and some assistant surgeons – all of whom are Indians.  All the Orderlies except the 19 we brought with us, are Indians.  They dress in khaki with khaki turbans.  They do get on ones nerves – always stand at attention and salute if you look at them; won’t let you carry a dish or get anything.  They are good though.  I have 106 beds in my ward, the M.O. and assistant surgeon, four English, and three Indian orderlies.  When we got to Gaba Tepe Sorry (Sister Sorensen) and I sent the following back by one of the A.M.C. boys who brought the first wounded: “Sisters Sorensen and Lyons at home, Guildford Castle, Aegean Sea.  Sergts. Lyons and Waite and friends from August 11th till further notice.”  That same night about 9 o’clock (when I was in the middle of dressing) I was told a gentleman wanted me on deck.  I forgot all about the dressing and ran the length of the ward.  The patients thought I had gone mad.  I got through the crowd on deck and there was Leon.  You can imagine the rest.  One of the M.O.s – Major Abbott – came along and I introduced Leon to him (of course he had heard all about him).  He took charge of Leon – gave him a bed in his cabin.  He had a bosker bath – the first for weeks.  He looked splendid; just as jolly as ever he could be – and so hungry.  He did love the ham and pickles, bread and butter and raspberry jam, and coffee and whisky and soda.  I was sorry poor Sgt. Waite could not come – if it were only for a decent meal.  And wasn’t matron sweet.  She gave Leon a suit of pyjamas, a pair of slippers, soap, face washer, sponge, pipe, tobacco, cigarettes, matches, tooth brush and powder.  He had not got that parcel we sent him, so Sorry and I made up another – condensed milk (it is 2s. a tin on the Peninsula), cocoa, heaps of old rag for handkerchiefs, two towels, post cards, ink, pens, cornflour, a bottle of whisky, Bovril, &c.  Leon said the night aboard would buck him up for two months…..”

The Week (Brisbane, Qld), Fri 18 Feb 1916 (p.6):  Ladies’ Page

Nurses C. Sorensen and Z. Lyons, of Queensland, have come to England on M.M.H.S. Guildford Castle, with wounded, and are at present in London.  They shortly return to France (says the “British Australasian” of 15th December).

The Western Champion and General Advertiser… (Barcaldine, Qld), Sat 19 Feb 1916 (p.7):   Barcaldine AND General Budget

Sister Zita Lyons, in writing to her brother mentions a pleasing incident.  The hospital ship, “Guildford Castle” reached Alexandria from England on 24th December last.  There were five Australian nurses on board, and English, Scotch, Irish and Canadian nurses too.  On Xmas Day, the five Australian nurses were sent for and reported at a hospital in Alexandria.  The matron handed each nurse a parcel, from “Lady Bridges and Committee.”  The parcel contained delicacies and comforts and a little enamelled brooch.  Our nurses were naturally delighted, and were very proud of the fact that the Australian nurses (on that hospital ship at any rate) were the only nurses who received a public Xmas Box.

Punch (Melb, Vic), Thur 6 Apr 1916 (p.28): SOCIETY

Amongst the nurses on active service to which special attention has been drawn by “Una,” the journal of the Royal Victorian Trained Nurses’ Association, is Nurse Bernice Loughrey, who was seven months theatre-sister in the hospital ship …………….  The ship was anchored 400 yards off Anzac, and took the wounded from Gallipoli to Malta and Alexandria.  She afterwards took wounded an invalided soldiers to England, and later was anchored in the Persian Gulf to take the wounded from Mesopotamia to Bombay.  Of the nine sisters on the ship five are Australians, two Canadians, two Irishwomen, and one, the Matron, English. 

Hawthorn, Kew, Camberwell Citizen (Vic), Fri 12 Apr 1918 (p.2): RAMBLES OF A MILITARY NURSE

Miss Bernice Loughrey, A.A.N.S., A.I.F., ranks as a Sister in the Australian Army Nursing Service of the Australian Imperial Forces.  On the 17th June, 1915, she embarked as a Staff Nurse on the troopship “Wandilla,” which left Port Melbourne for the 1st Australian General Hospital at Cairo, Egypt (Heliopolis).  On the 7th August, 1915, she was transferred to the hospital ship, “Guildford Castle,” and was appointed Sister-in-charge of the operating theatre.  Very soon after she was busy tending the wounded taken off at Gallipoli, her vessel being meanwhile anchored in the firing line some 400 yards away from Anzac, where our boys of the third Australian Brigade landed on the 25th day of April, 1915.  Whilst so engaged, several casualties happened on deck, and the time spent was both anxious and exciting.  She found time, however, to see the dug-outs of our boys.  For five months she sailed the Mediterranean, tending wounded soldiers, being conveyed from Gallipoli to hospital at Lemnos, Alexandria, and Malta, and participated in the adventures of a couple of runs to England.

On the 11th December, 1915, the programme was varied.  Invalided and wounded Indians were taken aboard at Boulogne, in France, and conveyed to Bombay, in India, at which port they arrived on January 8th, 1916.  The 27th of that month saw the “Guildford Castle” anchored at the bar, near Basra, in the Persian Gulf, and a batch of wounded fighters from the Mesopotamian battlefields taken aboard and conveyed to Bombay.  This work was continued to March, when the “Guildford Castle” was dismantled, and her fittings transferred to the hospital ship “Vita,” which was of shallower draught, and better able to navigate the bar and get up to Basra.  On 16th May, 1916, the “Vita,” with our Sister aboard, sailed from Bombay for Basra, and from thence right on to the 22nd September following.  ………………………………….  https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/89320583

QAIMNSR Nurses:

*DESPARD, Charlotte Letitia – Guildford Castle (left ship in UK – Medical board 15/10/1915 found no longer fit for HS duty) [on the 14/9/15 at Malta – she had been on 2 trips between Alex & Gallipoli]

Then she was on a hospital ship for two months, running to Malta and Alexandria from the Dardanelles.  Among the first patients she nursed on this ship was Billy Hampshire, whose wife, Matron Hampshire, succeeded Sister Despard at the Toodyay Hospital.  Writing of the Australians, she says: “I shall never forget them coming on to the ship.  Some of them had been in the trenches for months, and their uniforms were torn and faded almost white with the sun’s rays.  They were ill and footsore, but they came on with their heads held high.  I used to feel I wanted to cheer them.  They just loved to have one of their own nurses.” [see her file for full article Dec 1915]

Edited by frev

ZeZe,

In your ‘Unlikely’ list you have one Naval Nurse, Barbara ROBSON

ADM 104/162 page 106 has her on Hospital Ship Karapara {no date} with a note mentioning ‘matrimony’.

On ADM 104/162 page 138 Barbara is enquiring about the £5 bonus for each 6 months. 

In your ‘Possible list;-

Catherine BENNS should be Catherine BENN, Sister, T.F.N.S. Her service records make no mention of her time on Grantully Castle.

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm
Page 138 added

Hi Alf McM,

Thanks for looking up Benn – she remains a possible TANS nurse.

I’ve been puzzling over Robson, (a Somali – Karapara timeline is in progress), so I’ve been through the records again. 

My understanding is that from 22 April 1915 “Somali” was a Naval Hospital ship. Both “Somali” & “Karapara” were present at Gallipoli during 1915. “Karapara” at that time was staffed by R.A.M.C. surgeons and orderlies & Q.A.I.M.N.S. nurses? On 20th? Feb 1916 “Karapara” became Naval Hospital Ship to replace “Somali” – most of the medical staff working on “Somali” transferred to Karapara. “Somali” returned to troop transport duties. Any correction to this is welcome.

Next evidence I found from ADM 104/163 p.41: Isabel WALKER, was appointed in Dec 1916 to replace Robson on Karapara. Walker joined Karapara on 13/02/1917.

With that in mind re-reading ADM 104/162 p.137 I think Robson was appointed to Somali (is it? – hard to read) 6/1/16. Somali was replaced by Karapara Feb 1916. Robson had passage on Rewa 6/3/16 and she joined Karapara probably at Malta or Mudros. There’s no note of date joining, but I guess it was at the end of March 1916. She was then on Karapara’s roll until she was discharged on 16 December 1916.

So in conclusion, Robson wasn’t present during the Gallipoli campaign, she didn’t serve on Somali but on Karapara so she’s on the timeline which I’ll post soon. Do you think that’s possibly about right?

regards

ZeZe

ZeZe,

Yes, I think you are right about Robson.

I've been looking at R. BANFIELD on your 'Possible' list. There are not many nurses named Banfield, and I think she may be Ruth Emma Banfield, born Somerset 1887. She quaified as a Nurse in Bristol in 1914 and in 1919 was working in India. I haven't been able to tie her down to a nursing service yet. This is all circumstantial but may be worth considering.

Regards,

Alf McM

On 13/08/2022 at 08:26, ZeZe said:

Any correction to this is welcome.

ZeZe, I'm still in touch with former colleagues who curate the QARNNS archive. If you would like to be put in touch for mutual assistance, drop me a DM (direct message) with your email.

Best wishes,

seaJane

Hi seaJane,

Not been on a forum before – need a clue as to how to send a DM.

Thanks ZeZe

Hi Frev,

If you read this, I added your input to the spreadsheet and will post revised copy in a couple weeks when suggestions have dried up. The number of ‘Likely’ is now close to 250 names.

Regards ZeZe

Hi Alf McM

Thanks for the tip

Regards ZeZe

Edited by ZeZe
message to Alf McM

ZeZe,

Go to the top of the page.

Go to 'browse'

Select 'members list'

Search for 'seaJane'

Click on 'seaJane'

Select 'message'

Regards,

Alf McM

Thanks @alf mcm, we have made contact!

sJ

20 hours ago, ZeZe said:

Hi Frev,

If you read this, I added your input to the spreadsheet and will post revised copy in a couple weeks when suggestions have dried up. The number of ‘Likely’ is now close to 250 names.

Regards ZeZe

Glad you managed to wade through the last lot I posted.

Sorry to be a pain - but I'm now going to add some more.  One day, I might actually get a proper list together, but at the moment I have stuff all over the place!

From my file on the HS Neuralia: [which probably doubles up with that posted on the Guildford Castle!]

23/6/1915: 10 a.m. P.D.M.S. inspected hospital ship Neuralia which has an establishment of 8 M.O.s, 8 nursing sisters 45 men.

Nurses:

[British Matron Mary Helen Graham, (RRC) QAIMNS – Matron of HS Guildford Castle 21/4/1915 to the 18/5/1915; Matron of the HS Neuralia 18/5/1915 to the 27/1/1916]

Chapman, Richmond and Spalding probably transferred with her.

*CHAPMAN, Eva Helen – Guildford Castle 21/4/1915; Neuralia by 2/9/15

*RICHMOND, Daisy Donaldson (2AGH) – joined the Guildford Castle 20/4/1915; Neuralia (by 2/9/15 / still 16/1/16)

Excerpt from Daisy Richmond’s Diary – from “We have not forgotten” Yass & Districts War 1914-1918 (by C. Mongan & R. Reid)

(p.152): 11 Aug 1915: We return to Imbros to discharge our light cases, once more return to be refilled.  The girls on day duty are working till 1 and 2 am as they did the night before.  We are well under fire many bullets coming on the decks.  I was speaking to one boy, moved away to another patient when a bullet hit him and lodged in the thigh.  I just missed.

[Most probably on the Neuralia at this time]

*SPALDING, Florence Ethel (2AGH) – joined the Guildford Castle 20/4/1915; Neuralia (by 2/9/15 / still 16/1/16)

Extracts of letter printed 20/11/15: “Last trip was our most exciting one.  Our boat got in the line of fire when the Turks were trying to get the range of one of our war boats.  Bullets flew thick and fast.  Two stuck in the walls of the theatre where I was working.  Ever so many went on to the deck and hatches, and missed people by inches.  Only one man was struck, though there were some narrow escapes.  Needless to say, we soon backed out a bit.”

“We are taking wounded from the Dardanelles to Port Said.  The last twice we went right up the Dardanelles, but this time we only came to Lemnos Island, as there were so many submarines about.  They were bringing the wounded down to us.”

*WILSON, Madeline Alice Kendall (1AGH) – Served 6mths from 12/7/15 on the HS Neuralia with Sisters Spalding & Richmond (Gallipoli Peninsula - see letter p.24/25, dated 1967)

[service record shows Grantully Castle 13/7/15]

Hospital Ship Formosa:

Letter from Sister Emily Beatrice Taylor on board the Formosa (one of 6 nurses, from 6/8/1915 to 22/8/1915): https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/93795974

https://discoveringanzacs.naa.gov.au/browse/person/31232

AANS Nurses (6) – August 1915:

*BISSET, Jean Isabel

*BARON, Ellen

*LOVELL, Ilma Gertrude

*TAYLOR, Emily Beatrice

Guns and Brooches (Jan Bassett), p.45:

“On 6 August six of the nurses were given ten minutes’ notice to board the French ship Formosa, the crew of which spoke no English.  Between then and 15 August [sic – 22nd], the Formosa made three trips to Suvla [sic – Cape Helles], and seven to Anzac Cove, collecting patients.  Sister Ilma Lovell later described the ‘rather startling scene’ off Suvla Bay [sic – Cape Helles] on 7 August, one of the occasions on which they came close to the fighting: ‘Our own warships were all round & firing salvos at the enemy, while enemy shell & shrapnel was falling fast & the wreck of the first landing boat…. was lying nearby.’ 

Dunluce Castle:

NURSES:

Matron Jessie McHardie White

https://discoveringanzacs.naa.gov.au/browse/person/18336

Nurse Kitchen’s letter 20/6/15 – HS Gascon: http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/89759373

Mentions Sister White on the Dunluce Castle

Sister Agnes Craig Chapman (AANS) on Clan McGillivray & Dunluce Castle (Aug): http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/49807608

Several later trips were made in the Dunluce Castle, and the soldiers then carried were not only Australians, but also from English and Irish regiments.

“In August 1915, we made one trip in the Dunluce Castle right up to the Suvla Bay landing,” she said, “and as we lay close to the shore the naval vessels lying further out were bombarding the mainland, and the shells passed over the top of our vessel.  We had accommodation for only 500 wounded troops in the hospital ship, but on that trip we took 1,000 on board.  Four other hospital ships were there as well as the Dunluce Castle, and, although all of them soon became as overcrowded as we were, there were still hundreds of wounded men left lying on the beaches awaiting the next means of transport to hospital.  On that occasion we took the wounded to Malta.”

Staff Nurse Patricia Mary PARKER (AANS) served on her from about Aug 1915 to the evacuation of Gallipoli. [detailed for duty M.E.F. 22/7/1915]

Eleanor Wibmer Jeffries (AANS) – 24/8/1915 to… present at the evacuation

Elsie Annie Eglinton (AANS) (emb Alex 4/6/1915 / Galeka (10 days), Ionian)

From The Other Anzacs (by Peter Rees):

p.67: “When Elsie Eglinton finished night shift on 4 June, she was given two hours’ notice that she was to sail to the Dardanelles to help bring back wounded to Alexandria.  She boarded the Dunluce Castle – ‘a beautiful ship, but only a transport, not a painted Hospital Ship as she sometimes carries troops.’  Fortune smiled on them during the voyage to Lemnos.  ‘A big troopship coming along behind us was torpedoed.  We did not got to her assistance as it is against the rules,’ Elsie noted in her diary.”

After three weeks on Lemnos, Elsie returned to Alexandria with 100 typhus patients.  Because the Dunluce Castle was not a hospital ship, she worked in semi-darkness at night.  The experience was awful.  ‘It is impossible to keep them all in bed, they are delirious and crawl around the deck the moment you turn your back.”

Galeka:

The British Journal of Nursing, July 24, 1915 (p.69):

NURSING AND WAR

The Galeka, the ship on which English nurses have brought sick and wounded from Mudros to Alexandria, has recently been in harbour, being fitted up as a first-class hospital ship, and will soon again be in use.  She is painted green and white, with red crosses, and at night has green lights along the deck and crosses in red lights, very picturesque on the sparkling water.  The staff of eight Sisters is quite “imperial”; one regular, one reserve, two Australian, and four of the party requisitioned by the Dowager Countess of Carnarvon, and for the time being taken over by the War Office.  The Sisters greatly enjoy this hospital ship service, and now that the Galeka is properly fitted they will be able to make the patients much more comfortable.

CORFIELD, Agnes Beryl – QAIMNSR (Aus)

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C2098986

“Collection consists of eight letters written by Sister Corfield during 1915 to her best friend Lizzy Ryland. The letters are written from Cairo and onboard various hospital ships.”

One of those letters (6/7/1915) is referred to in “Edith Blake’s War” p.80: “On the transport ship Galeka, QAIMNSR nurse Beryl Corfield bathed in the positive reputation they were forging,…”

[Beryl died 2/2/1916 Egypt – no service record]

MacDONALD, Nina (Annie Christina) – S/Nurse, QAIMNSR (Aus)

[Galeka 16/7/15 – Caledonia 1/9/15]

https://discoveringanzacs.naa.gov.au/browse/person/900195

SEXTON, Dora Ethel – Sister, QAIMNSR (Aus)

[No service record]

Cairns Post (Qld), Mon 23 Aug 1915 (p.4):

NURSE ON SERVICE

According to the “Toowoomba Chronicle,” Sister Dora Sexton of the Royal AMC, recently applied and has been accepted.  She is now for transport duties at the front on the transport ship Galetta [sic], which conveys the wounded soldiers to the various hospitals. 

Darling Downs Gazette (Qld), Tue 19 Oct 1915 (p.3):

WOMAN’S WAYS

Nurse Dora Sexton, who is still attached to the transport “Galecka,” [sic] was in London at the time of writing her last letter home, and expected to leave on her return to the Dardanelles in a fortnight.

*Florence Adeline BORRETT was a member of the British Red Cross Society, and she served on the Galeka while it was at Mudros – she later transferred to a BRCSHospital at Giza.

[Countess of Carnarvon]

ZeZe,

It occurred to me that all the British nurses on hospital ships, up to the end of 1916 would be awarded the 1914-15 Star. It follows that all British nurses on your timelines should be mentioned on this medal roll. This means that the identification of nurses only known by surname, i.e. Davidson, can be narrowed down from 13 at T.N.A. to only 2, K. Davidson and E. Davidson. To get the Star medal roll for Nurses go to 'UK WW1 Medal Rolls {on Ancestry}  and enter '2955 as a keyword. [This number appears as a piece number on Ancestry's images} Then enter surname. This method works for QAIMNS and TFNS, 

Regards,

Alf McM