Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

604th Mechanical Transport Coy., Army Service Corps

tracey1974

Hi,

I am hoping someone on here can help, my gt gt uncle Edward Frank James, on the minimal army records i have found he is recorded

as Private Frank Edward James M2/051568.

I have found him on the CWGC website and he is on the Uk, soldiers who died in the great war 1914-1919 but nothing else, no service records no medal card nothing, is this usual??

Also the unit he was with i don't seem to be able to find anything on them or where they were etc. It is recorded on CWGC that he died on 16th March 1918 from wounds and he is buried at LAPUGNOY MILITARY CEMETERY, anyone able to help with some information about them please.

Many thanks in advance.

Tracey

There's an MIC to Frank E James with the same service number but without the /. It's pretty blank though and all I could suggest without looking up the medal rolls is that he arrived in France after Dec 1915.

The war diary would be your best bet to find how he died; WO95/931. Sadly this is not digitized so you'll need to visit Kew or arrange for a copy to be made. If you are visiting there may be more information available from looking up his medal rolls but

if you can find his entry it may not tell you much more.

Kind regards

Colin

604th Coy ASC were formed on 5th November 1915 and became the 65th Siege Bty Ammunition Column (MT). Once on the Western Front they became the 15th Corps Heavy Artillery Siege Park (MT). Colin has already mentioned the unit war diary which can be found at the National Archives in WO95/931

Jon

Thank you for the replies,

Stupid me, never even thought to look for it without /. :unsure: So will have a look now and get it printed out.

Brilliant i am planning on a visit to kew in the new year so will make sure i request the diaries to have a read through, i think sometime s we forget in the technology

based world that not all things are digitized.

Thank you again for the quick responses :thumbsup: