Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pvt Leonard Cecil Baldry 6296 Northamptonshire Regiment

rogerwilson

Hi - I'm researching a relative who died on 19/11/1914 whilst serving for the 2nd Battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment. A kind person helped me earlier today find the war records of another relative (war diaries). Could another kind person point me in the right direction of the war diaries for the Northamptonshire Regiment please.

Thank you for any help :-)

Roger

Roger,

I shall try to sort out some diary entries for you asap (his actual service overseas only lasted two weeks - the 2nd Battalion landed in France on 6th November 1914).

In the meantime, these are the notes I have for his service and civilian life after being transferred to Reserve.

• Born in 1883 at Westminster (St George Hanover Square district)
  • Enlisted at London, approx. 5-1-1901.
  • Enlistment terms would have been 7 years active service and 5 years on Reserve in civilian employment.
  • Would have spent 4 to 5 months in basic training at the Northamptonshire Regiment Depot barracks in Northampton.
  • A Private, age 18, in training at the Northamptonshire Regiment Barracks (Depot) in 1901.
  • To "Details" (Reserve company of 2nd Battalion at Portland) in approx. April 1901.
  • Served in South Africa in 1902 - awarded the QSA with Transvaal and 1902 clasps (indexed as Baldery). He would have to have arrived in South Africa before the official end of the war on 31 May 1902 to be eligible.
  • Probably served in South Africa from Spring 1902.
  • Transferred to 1st Battalion in India prior to QSA roll date of July 1903 (as noted on medal roll).
  • Transferred to the Reserve in approx. 1908/09.
  • Appointed as an Assistant postman - London Postal Service (North West) in August 1910.
  • A postman, lodging with Frank and Lucy Gotobed at 4 Burlington Parade, Cricklewood, London N.W. in 1911.
  • Promoted to postman in Jan 1912.
  • Probably signed up to Section "D" Army Reserve for 4 years in Jan 1913 on expiry of Army Reserve service.
  • Married to Eleanor Rose Constable at St Stephen the Martyr Church, Hampstead in April 1914.
  • Embarked to France with 2nd Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment on 4th November 1914.
  • Landed in France on 6th November 1914.
  • Killed in action, Pte, 2nd Bn., 19 November 1914.
  • Commemorated on Le Touret Memorial.

Steve.

Steve

Thank you so much, that really is wonderful information. I'm a bit of rookie at this and trying to fathom things out so your help is truly appreciated.

Sadly, my great aunt (his daughter) was born in March 1915 and never met him. She was named Lorna Cecilia after him and was a wonderful lady - in many respects I am carrying out the research in her memory but also because both I and my teenage son have an unquenchable thirst for war related historical facts.

We are planning a visit next year to mark the 100th anniversary of his falling as well as visiting where another relative, William John Harwood fell on 24th April 1917 at Arras. I have started to research William too although the war diaries for the 20th Fusiliers we believe he served with are ambiguous for the date of his death and his medal records suggest he was with the 11th Fusiliers...yet more intrigue and fuel for our rapidly growing obsession!

Best

Roger