Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Lt E. A. Richardson

Grovetown

On March 18 1918, 2nd Lt Eric Adain (sic) Richardson of 54 Sqn shot down in flames, according to a copy CiTAR I have for that day, a Triplane “5 miles east of Busigny”.

Obviously, the actions of 54 Sqn – and the participation of others, not least JG1 – this day is fairly well known; but I can’t identify from my texts who Richardson’s victim was.

A process of elimination from CGAS and TJP, based on the information in the CiTAR – location and a time of 11.00am – suggests that the pilot may have been Flg Rudolf Ihde of Jasta 10, killed over Anbigny (TJP)/ Audigny (CGAS). (By which I think they could mean Vaux-ANDIGNY, just east/ south east of Busigny. Although there is an Audigny much further SE).

However:

1. I know Ihde is credited as being probably shot down by Clear of 84 sqn; but could this be a duplicate/ simultaneous effort honestly and unknowingly claimed by each man?

2. I am unclear whether J10 had DrI’s or not? Leaman says only one (Voss), but then lists Clear's victory over Ihde in his DrI casualty list. Confusing. I've also seen comment of Ihde possibly being in a Pfalz too – which would nullify Clear’s claim.

Richardson's claim was observed by 2/ Lt J. L. Horne and classified 'decisive' by the CO.

Could anybody else confirm or correct me in this supposition. And if it wasn’t Ihde, who on earth was it?

Rgds,

Grovetown.

G'day,

My copy of "The Jasta War Chronology" has a Uffz. Gustav Ecke of Ja 54, KIA March 18, 1918 over Busigny. I think this may be your man.

Regards,

Andrew

Andrew

Thanks for the thought.

Ecke was my first pursuit. He is also attributed to an 84 pilot - Capt. F. Brown - but, as far as I can tell, J54s was certainly not equipped with DrI's; while Richardson's claim is definitely for a Triplane.

As you know, this fight was a huge one, with all the confusion that entails. However, one can't see these guys mistaking a DrI for much else. Also the CiTAR says that Richardson was manouevring onto this target for 'several' minutes and opened fire at a range of 50 feet - so he would have had a pretty good look at it.

Rgds,

Grovetown.

Grovetown

How about Ltn d R Franz Riedle of Jasta 16b? He is shown in 'Casualties of the German Air Service' as being killed at Molain, which my Cross & Cockade Gazeteer puts near Bohain, which seems to be near Busigny.

'The Jasta Pilots' says he was killed in combat with a Camel, but I can't find confirmation that Jasta 16b had Triplanes.

I hope this helps a little.

Gareth

Thanks Gareth

It's worth looking into. I had had a flirtation with 16b for this - cannot remember who - but, like you, couldn't place the DrI with them. Paul Leaman's monster Triplane work doesn't list them, but, as mentioned in the context of J10 (above) may not be definitive.

Looks like lunchtime mooching in the aviation section of Motor Books in Charing X.

I'm not sure the location is fundamental to this - anywhere near would do. As Darryl occasionally points out: at great height, at high speed and in the heat of the melee; 5 seconds could end up as 15 miles. The CiTAR gives the height as 15K.

I'm gonna stick with the DrI for the time being, for the reasons given above above. I'm persuaded toward someone from JG1, because this is one of their famous fights; but this may well be wishful thinking and I'm open to all possibilities.

Thanks again.

Rgds,

Grovetown.

Actually Grovetown, I believe the highest figure I ever put on it was 5 miles (I do know of one instance where wings and fuselage came down 10 miles apart...from 22000 feet if memory serves, one of Mac's.) The 5 miles allows basically for a screaming dive of approx three times glide angle and a generalised "area" engagement as opposed to a "bounce".

Without going over the maps, I think Dolphin is in with a shot.

However, you always need to remember that a claim for an aeroplane "in flames" does not automatically correspond with a German loss. Whilst we are told by the "experten" that the Germans kept meticulous records, there are two mitigating circumstances.

1. British pilots were pathological liars.

2. Ever so occasionally there might be the odd German casualty that the record keepers missed.

regards

Darryl

BTW, if you check on Ebay currently, I have a rather nice bridge for sale. Currently located in Sydney Australia but will ship anywhere. Would suit large back yard water feature.......

Darryl

Thanks for that and apologies over-claiming on the distances. And I know what you're saying as to whether there is actually a casualty or not. Was it you elsewhere that said that driven down/ OOC in flames does not automatically result in a loss - for the 'victor' yes, but if the 'victim' manages to get on the ground and walk away smouldering, then no?

And I'm also aware of the allegations relating to, er, exaggeration. OK, lying.

I don't have a problem accepting that Richardson may not have a score at all - whatever Horne said and the CO thought. From his service record, in March he was new to the job; and of the three instances I have of him encountering EA, he came a cropper twice. And the second occasion - 22-03-18, IIRC - was the end of his war (WIA - leading to being invalided out of the service).

(And actually, does anyone know who did that to him?).

Thanks again.

Best wishes,

Grovetown.

PS/ Swap your bridge for mine. London SE1, two towers, opens in the middle, suit Victorian theme park or city planner seeking to create massive traffic congestion...