Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mitter2k1

I have added some uniforms to my collection and thought that I would share them here. First up is a M1917 winter wool coat. It is in decent shape and I have had to make some repairs to it as there were some issues. The buttons on this one are sewn on and the collar disks are not original to it. It does have some period repairs to the armpits and look like they wore out pretty quickly.

post-99460-0-38863500-1384247047_thumb.j

post-99460-0-88681100-1384247356_thumb.j

Here is the M1912 summer cotton coat. One is in a khaki color and the other in a olive drab. There are numerous variations in color in both the wool and cotton coats. The first one is approximately a size 34 and is more of a olive green. The buttons on both summer coats are held on by rings. The button is pushed through a grommet that is sewn into the coat similar to the ones for the collar disks. The ring is a smaller version of a key ring.

post-99460-0-72205400-1384248213_thumb.j

post-99460-0-00903300-1384248227_thumb.j

post-99460-0-07973300-1384248239_thumb.j

post-99460-0-29889100-1384248367_thumb.j

post-99460-0-43381000-1384248472_thumb.j

Here is the last uniform I have to share. This is also a M1912 and it is in a rarer large size (approx. 40 or 42). This one is khaki color and made by Charles Levy Co. Chicago IL. It is dated Mar. 18, 1918 and made under contract No. 1298 C and distributed out of the Chicago Depot. This coat was a surplus item and was stamped "Inspected and Condemned, 1939." It is in the best condition of my three coats and was used at one time. The name is illegible on the tag and it has evidence of pin on collar insignia. I suspect that the insignia were French made collar disks since the holes line up vertically. Officers insignia pin holes would line up vertically with the exception of the branch of service. Those would likely be at an angle and the holes would be further spaced apart than the ones that are present on this coat. Also there is evidence of ribbons being present above the pocket. I wish I knew more of the story on this uniform because it looks like it has one heck of a story to tell. If anyone has any question feel free to ask.

Thanks for looking,

Mike M.

post-99460-0-47172400-1384249282_thumb.j

post-99460-0-39593200-1384249369_thumb.j

Here is a natural light pic to show the actual color of the coat.

post-99460-0-87973300-1384249449_thumb.j

One interesting thing to note was the use of a contrasting color of thread on all of these coats.

post-99460-0-75731400-1384249525_thumb.j

Thank you. I need to take some better quality photos and close ups of certain features. I'm going to put together some of my field gear to show. It may take some time to do that with editing and such.

Thanks for looking,

Mike M.

Most of mine are inaccessible at the moment but here are a few:

Several different 33rd Div (ILNG) tunics showing variations in patches.

Most with overseas service stripes and honourable discharge chevrons. I have the complete and sometimes identified uniforms for several of these

post-14525-0-81175100-1384312584_thumb.j

post-14525-0-55099900-1384312585_thumb.j

a selection of other ones

post-14525-0-22263300-1384312586_thumb.j

40th(sunshine) Div

26th (yankee) Div

Air Service

78th(Lightning) Div

Not nearly as well displayed or photographed as Mikes!

I have some cotton tunics and trousers but they are packed away. Somewhere I have a nice 4th Div tunics set too....I am a little concerned I cannot find it!

The variation in colour and material is evident here.

Chris

Is that a bullion 33rd patch? That would be the first I've seen and the variations on all of these amazes me. I could ask a million questions about some of your items, but I don't want to bore anyone to death with them. You have some amazing uniforms Chris. Thanks for showing these.

Mike M.

Yes it is a bullion patch. Interestingly it is not on the officer's uniform!

There are two different embroidered patches, a felt patch and an embroidered patch/\.

The felt patch is on a complete uniform w/tags helmet etc from a chap from Chatham.

Chris

I've really enjoyed looking at your impressive collections which highlight to me how unfamiliar I am with the AEF. A gap in my understanding I am now starting to address having acquired a History of the AEF by Shipley Thomas

Thank you off posting

Justin H

Thank you Justin. I actually started doing this a little over a year ago and the amount of information to take in is astounding. I'm currently getting into the subtle differences of the uniforms. Things like model numbers and contract numbers is almost overwhelming. Unfortunately the Internet is limited in this regard. So a few books are in my near future.

Thanks,

Mike M.

Good to see US stuff. Vert under rated but starting to rise. Buy now or regret!

I have one tunic and breech set in a darker than usual shade to the Ivy Division. One overseas chevron, honourable discharge stripe and victory medal ribbon with 3 stars. Lovely patch and dated Aug 1918.

Have a nice British Brodie shell painted forest green with 2nd Div patch painted on a green shield surmounted by a EGA Marines badge.

Thanks for topic. Thanks all for pics.

TT

Trench, would you be willing to share pics of your items? You can piggyback on this thread if you like.

Thanks,

Mike M.

Here are a few more of mine: these are mostly "private purchase" variations - several of them made in France - and one made of a very light linen.

post-14525-0-63647700-1384490435_thumb.j

Here are several side by side

post-14525-0-32316600-1384490436_thumb.j post-14525-0-90281700-1384490436_thumb.j

This is a Third Army patch - with signals patch on other sleeve.

post-14525-0-24787600-1384490437_thumb.j post-14525-0-67883500-1384490437_thumb.j

Officer's private purchase - with collar tabs that I think indicate DENTIST

post-14525-0-02589600-1384490438_thumb.j post-14525-0-36619100-1384490438_thumb.j

This is the linen uniform (I also have the trousers) with a variation of the "District of Paris" patch

post-14525-0-72104800-1384490438_thumb.j

a different 26th Div Tunic

My cotton tunics and my a couple of others are out of reach currently.

Chris

Chris, thanks for sharing these. That linen uniform is unique and I've never seen one like it. The material looks to be very light in comparison to the cotton. What kind of material is the Dental Corps uniform made of? I've seen a number of these and they always have the vegetable ivory buttons.

Thanks again,

Mike M.

The Dental Corps tunic is made of what I would call "officer's wool" fine smooth wool(?) I would have called it "Barathea" but I am not sure if that is technically accurate. It is also lined.

The linen uniform was made by a Paris tailor and is very lightweight. Perhaps made in the Summer of 1918?

I still can't find my 4th Division Tunic which is probably the best one I have :( not sure where it can have gone...

Chris

Khaki asked me about the differences between the summer weight coats and their intended uses. This initially started with the phasing out of the blue wool coats used during the Spanish-American war. They needed something more modern for a field uniform. Given the differences in climate that the Soldier may be in, wool wasn't acceptable for hot, humid climates and cotton khaki was much cooler than its wool counterpart. These uniforms were used during the Philippine Insurrection, Mexican Border Campaign and even shipped the the Hawaiian Department. A number of photos I've seen shows troops during the Border Campaign just wearing the flannel undershirts. But on to WWI. The khaki uniform had already been around for around 10 years and offered an alternative to the heavy wool, which if was worn during the summer would of taken a toll on the soldiers.

The wool uniform actually has a cotton liner very similar to the summer coat itself, with the except of pockets and a collar. The wool would keep you warm and the liner, being tightly woven cotton, would help keep the cold air out.

The US uniforms of this period are some of the best looking uniforms the military has ever fielded. Even the modern USMC dress blue uniform is very similar to the tunics from WWI.

I hope this answers your question about the cotton coats. Here is a link that gives a bit of info on the uniforms themselves.

http://members.tripod.com/~Fbg_mem_museum/uniftalk/unipat2.htm

Thanks,

Mike M.

Mike,

Which pattern of wool uniform tunics are you referring to as having a cotton liner The 1918 pattern British made coats do not seem to have lining? Even in patterns that officially have linings there seems to be substantial variation (presence[or not], style and material of liner) within my examples (this may be explained by the presence of numerous "private purchase" examples among surviving tunics. "Rough cut" tunics I have looked at do not seem to have liners but I have only examined a couple and do not own one.

Chris

(That's a nice link you posted -- hadn't seen that before -- quite useful)

My Model 1917 has a cotton liner. When I get home I'll post pictures of it. It is only attached along the front and around the sleeves and collar if I'm remembering correctly.

Just obtained another 33rd Div set (jacket and trousers). This one was very nicely (privately) made by a tailor in Iowa.

It has yet another form of the Divisional sign, a felt background with an embroidered cross.(plus hon discharge chevron and overseas stripes)

post-14525-0-31024600-1385066842_thumb.j post-14525-0-91636200-1385066842_thumb.j

Chris

That is a beautiful uniform Chris. I will honestly say I am envious of you right now. I have a question about the 33rd uniforms you have. Are the US collar disks National Guard or just US? I have a number of disks myself and with uniforms and field gear I haven't had much time to research what was worn at specific times. Thanks for continually adding to this and keep up the good work.

Also at your request I finally got around to taking photos of the liner in my wool coat. However the system is telling me that uploading is not allowed and my allotted disk space for attachments is exceeded. I am not quite sure what that means. I will message an admin and see if there is a limitation to uploads per thread. So stay tuned and I will see if I can figure this out.

Thanks,

Mike M.

• 2 weeks later...

One way to differenate collar badges between National Guard and Regulars

Both would have US and a regimental Number {Sometimes}

National Guard would have the Initials of State as well

One way to differenate collar badges between National Guard and Regulars

Both would have US and a regimental Number {Sometimes}

National Guard would have the Initials of State as well

Would the regimental number be on the US disk or on the branch of service disk, or both? I have US disks with the NG or NA superimposed over it with no number. I also have them with just US and the number. My understanding, and I may be incorrect, is the US and number disks were used by state guard units and these have no indication of the state. And that numbered branch of service disks with a number could be almost any state unit. I think this applies to lower numbered units. I have a book on WWI collar disks on the way so I can't readily verify any of this as being true or false. Can you shed any light on this?

Ok, I have not been able to post any more picture to this thread or any that I have started. I have created a photobucket account and separated the items, Uniforms and Field Gear. I hope the link works properly and you are able to see some of the items I have.

Thanks for looking,

Michael M.

http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/Mitter2k1/library/WWI/WWI%20Uniforms

thanks for posting the link Michael

Recent pick up. A rather damaged "Reserve Mallet" tunic and trousers.

post-14525-0-26397900-1386216187_thumb.j post-14525-0-75114600-1386216187_thumb.j

post-14525-0-19056900-1386216188_thumb.j post-14525-0-55759300-1386216188_thumb.j

Chris

Its unfortunate that they always go for the good parts. It is a nice coat nonetheless. Thanks for posting it. I have another coat and pants on the way and hopefully they show up today. I noticed they fixed the photo issue so I'll post pics and make them available on my link as well.

Thanks,

Mike M.