Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hamburg Cemetery burial October 1918

Tank

Thanks to Llew coming to my rescue on the AVL, I've finally traced the final casualty on a local church memorial but wondered if anyone had any insight about burials at Hamburg cemetery during the Great War.

Thomas Henry Brooks, number 35240 - or H Brooks as he's remembered in St Christophers church in Ellistown - was with the 12th/13th Northumberland Fusiliers and is on the CWGC site as buried in Hamburg on 24th October 1918.

When I saw the place and date I immediately thought of PoW's but the PoW list on Find my Past doesn't have an entry for Thomas/Henry. Has anyone researched PoW deaths or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers

Tank

• Admin

Tank

The list on FMP is only of officers. You might find him in a casualty list in the local papers. Initially, he would be reported as missing and later changed to PoW when word cqame through from Germany. Otherwise, you'll have to wait for next year when the Red Cross are due to put their archives online.

Glen

Thanks for the Insight SPOF. The kind people at the Northumberland Fusiliers museum have confirmed that Henry was indeed a PoW and that there were a number of Fusiliers initially reported missing during the Spring Offensive who later turned up as PoW's.

Cheers

Tank

On Brooks T.H. head stone in Hamburg his number is 35249 – error somewhere along the line as you mention 35240.

Just noticed the CWGC have him listed with the number 35240 so the stone must be wrong then.