Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14th Hants

Guest Hill 60

Can anyone tell me where the 14th Bn Hampshire Regt (116 Bde, 39th Div) were on 1st February 1917 please?

Many thanks for any help :)

39th Div were in Ypres area at the time. No doubt someone else will be able to pinpoint exactly where 14th Hants were located.

My interest is the Cambs Rgt, who were 118th Brigade, 39th Div. They were based in the Canal Bank sector at this time, so Paul has hit the nail on the head. All we need now is the 14th Hants' position confirmed!

Lee, this is from the Regimental History........

The battalion next sampled the Boesinghe sub-sector from December 30th to January 16th where it had the Germans within 50 yards across the Yser canal. It was now doing four days in support and four in reserve..........

A move into billets at Ypres then followed, the next sector taken over, on January 20th, (1917) being at Railway Wood East of Ypres. Here rather greater activity prevailed, guns and "minenwerfer" being much in evidence, and a second turn in front line from January 29th to February 1st caused the battalion nearly 40 casualties. This turn ended with a violent bombardment which seemed to show that an attack was coming. One trench-mortar bomb landed amongst B Company's officers...........

If you would like a scan of the rest please email me.

Alan - Thank you very much for the information and I'll e-mail you today.

I have been given some photocopied pages from a handwritten document listing men who had been wounded and the treatment they had received, and one of them was from the 14th Hants. Most of his surname is unreadable but it looks like Green????, his initials were E. S. His number 33217 & he was a Private.

It states: 'G.S.W. (shell) head - fractured skull. R. panetal (?) eminence France Feb 1st 1917.'

Then there are masses of medical 'bits n bobs'!

I believe the document was compiled by a Dimmock Cassidy and it was re-written after the war. Unfortunately I have no idea who this man was :(. The person who gave me the pages says he was a relation of theirs and had been awarded the George Cross (obviously after the 1940's) but there is no record of this man getting the GC or swapping another medal for the GC.

Judging by the medical terminology he was most probably a Doctor (RAMC?) and by some comments had seen action at one point.

What would I give to get my hands on this document!?! :ph34r:

Lee,

From the Hampshire Regimental Journal casualty list for March 1917:

Wounded 33217 Pte Greenouff E. S., G.S.W. Hand

I know the report of wounds are different, but this is your man.

Marc

Mark - Thanks for that, I wish people would use capitals when they write documents, it makes research so much easier!

It might interest you to know that he was: "sent to the B. R. C. Section R. V (or U). N where 8" of bone was cut from tibia full width and cut in two, tied together with cat gut and was fitted over hole in skull. A large leaf of skin was turned down over scalp".