Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte E.A leighton 8th london or 18th london

paul leighton

Ive been adding infomation to my collection of medals to the Leighton's, Ive come across this problem. a pair of the medals are stamped to pte E.A Leighton 594685 8.LON. R (8th County of London I think)

his sevice papers state that that he was with the 18th county of London, but which one's right.

I noticed that he seems to have been with the 18th at the start but then transfered in 1918 to the 8th, but i'm not sure if I've read it right & on to the military Police

any help welcome

my collectionhttp://paulcj71979.wix.com/leighton-war-medals

You are right - the answer is he joined up to the 18th Londons then 2/8th (Post Offfice Rifles) London Regiment.

There's not much of his service record surviving (see below) but the conduct sheet shows the 18th stamp crossed out and "2/8th London" inserted in ink.

Tony

I have just found more pages of his service record on ancestry. They are BEFORE the first page (his enlistment page) that opens when you click on his service record on Ancestry. Some are not easy to read but there is a full list of his service and reference to his being wounded.

Ive been adding infomation to my collection of medals to the Leighton's, Ive come across this problem. a pair of the medals are stamped to pte E.A Leighton 594685 8.LON. R (8th County of London I think)

his sevice papers state that that he was with the 18th county of London, but which one's right.

I noticed that he seems to have been with the 18th at the start but then transfered in 1918 to the 8th, but i'm not sure if I've read it right & on to the military Police

any help welcome

IMHO the medals are inscribed incorrectly if it says 8.LON.R. and not 18.LON.R.

Your man did indeed attest to the 18th London Regt., initially on 11th December 1915, was transferred to the Army Reserve and eventually mobilized on 2nd April 1917 when he was posted to, and joined, the 18th Londons with service number 594685. He proceeded overseas on 19th June 1917 and was Posted to the 1/18th London Regiment on 20th June 1917. He was transferred to 2/8th London Regiment on 13th July 1917 and allocated new service number 385098 from the 8th's number range, he was wounded on 30th October 1917, and returned to the UK on 8th November 1917, being posted onto 8th (Res.) Bn. Depot Strength on 9th November 1917.

All other service, as far as I can tell including Army Service Corps and Military Police, was in the UK only.

Regards

Steve

Hi, thanks for getting back As you can see Edward has become a bit of a nightmare to work out. the medal has been double checked and it's 8 LON.R not 18

im in the process of framing his medals with the right cap badge from his regiment and have bought a cap badge of the Post office Rifles (8 Batt).is this the right cap badge

also which shoulder titles would of he had if the cap badge is correct. there seems to be so many 1/8 T london, 18 T london, post office rifles, london Irish, 2/8 T london,8th London

what would you use.

thanks paul leighton

If the medal says 8 LON R. then I still maintain it's inscribed incorrectly, it should be 18 LON. R. The service number on the medals is his 18th London Regt. number and not his 8th London Regt. one.

I don't collect but if it was me I'd get an 18th London Regt. Cap Badge to go with 8th London Regt. you've already got. That way you've covered both units he served overseas with.

As for shoulder titles you'll need someone who has that knowledge as it's not an area I know much about.

Steve