Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Royal Warwickshire Regiment

SilverFox100

• 2 years later...

Hello, I have a Victory medal awarded to the family of my gt gt uncle Sidney Hopkins. Around the edge it says 4002 Pte Sidney Hopkins R War R. He died on 13th March 1915 of his wounds and was part of the 1st RWR,10th, 4th (sorry brigades mean nothing to me). I wondered whether you'd know where they'd been, place/battle of death.

Thanks

Gra

• Admin
1 hour ago, Gralow said:

Hello, I have a Victory medal awarded to the family of my gt gt uncle Sidney Hopkins. Around the edge it says 4002 Pte Sidney Hopkins R War R. He died on 13th March 1915 of his wounds and was part of the 1st RWR,10th, 4th (sorry brigades mean nothing to me). I wondered whether you'd know where they'd been, place/battle of death.

Thanks

Gra

The documentation around his death shows he was serving with the 2nd Bn when wounded.  He died at 22 Field Ambulance and is interred at Estaires Communal Cemetery http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/268253/HOPKINS, S

However there is an undated fragment on Find My Past that shows he was wounded while serving with the 1st Bn (SW right shoulder, i.e. shrapnel wound).  The Medal Rolls also show 1st Bn.  So it seems likely he was posted to the 1st Bn, slightly wounded and on recovery posted to the 2nd Bn.

The 2nd Bn. was part of 22nd Brigade, 7th Division.  I suggest you have a look at the parent site Long Long Trail 'Research a Soldier' (link top right of this page).  It's impossible to tell his story without some understanding of context.

He originally landed in France on the 4 January 1915, the war diary shows 25 men joined the 2nd Bn.that day.  So a bit of a puzzle although that seems too early as he would have gone to the Base Depot first.

22 FA (where he died) was also in 7th Division so that's confirmation he was serving with the 2nd Bn when he died.

On the 10th March the 7th Division was engaged at the Battle of Neuve Chappelle, which continued until the 13th March

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/battles/battles-of-the-western-front-in-france-and-flanders/the-battle-of-neuve-chapelle/

The 2nd Bn war diary has a detailed appendix of operations during the battle.  Individual casualties among other ranks are not named.

36 other ranks were wounded on the 12 March.

Pte Hopkins had less than twelve months service when he died.  He enlisted in Birmingham.  His service number indicates he enlisted in the Special reserve in October 1914.  He may have enlisted in August for 'duration of war' but had he done so he would probably have gone to a New Army Battalion.

Ken 

• 5 months later...
On 10/11/2013 at 17:48, SilverFox100 said:

I have the full diary for the 1st RWR from Aug 1914 until 1919 if anybody requires look ups let me know. They were part of 10th Infantry Brigade, 4th Division. Regards. Mike

Hi SilverFox100

I'm really new ot this so forgive if this is a silly questions .... My great uncle (William 'Billie' Waring) was in the RWR ansd died on 26th August 2014.  That's the full total info I have.  Does you diary shed any light on how and what the regiment was up to on that date?  I do know where we was buried (Fontaine-Au-Pire).  Also where might I find more details etc of his WW1 experience - brief thought it was.

• Admin
21 hours ago, Geoff Reason said:

Hi SilverFox100

I'm really new ot this so forgive if this is a silly questions .... My great uncle (William 'Billie' Waring) was in the RWR ansd died on 26th August 2014.  That's the full total info I have.  Does you diary shed any light on how and what the regiment was up to on that date?  I do know where we was buried (Fontaine-Au-Pire).  Also where might I find more details etc of his WW1 experience - brief thought it was.

The original poster has not visited for while.  

The thread was begun before the war diaries were digitised.  You can download the diary from TNA for £3.50 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053080 which will enable you to follow his movements from mobilisation.  It appears he was a pre-war regular/reservist.

You can also view the diary on Ancestry if you subscribe it is Here

Paul Nixon's indispensable site indicates he enlisted 1912 

http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.nl/2009/09/roayl-warwickshire-regiment-regular.html

I recommend you visit the parent site The Long Long Trail (link top right) for more information on researching a soldier.  Though as you say his time in France was brutal and brief.

Ken

Ken

• 3 months later...

Hello. My great uncle ‘Herbert H Kenney’ died 4th February 1917 in a French hamlet called biaches’He was in 1/6 royal Warwickshire. Hoping for some diary information as to what happened to him exactly. Hope you can help.

paul 

Hi Paul,

The war diary for the 1/6 Battalion is available from here at the National Archives, or here on Ancestry. It looks like Herbert died either as the result of a heavy artillery bombardment on their trenches (12 noon to 5.40 pm - "with three slight lulls"), or during a trench raid the Germans made - at about 6.15 pm.

Regards

Chris.

• 9 months later...

I am trying to locate where 50832 Private Walter Thomas Marsh of 1st Btn Royal Warwickshire Regiment received the GSW to his right thigh. According to his military records this occurred on 30th August 1918. He was admitted to 44 Casualty Clearing Station the same day and was then admitted to 55 General Hospital, Boulogne on 1.9.1918. His record shows he was in hospital from 20.9.1918 and remained there until 13.11.1918. I believe that this was after he had been returned to the UK and to Knowsley Hall, Liverpool, to convalesce. It states on his Hospital Admissions "Onset 30/8/918. Bullet removed. Wound healthy. Grade ex CD. Class II". He landed in France on 9.5.1918, going to the Infantry Base Depot at Rouen before meeting up with his regiment 'in the field' the following day as part of the BEF..

Are you able to help me with my research?

• Admin

As noted in my previous post 30 above the war diary can now be downloaded from TNA.

It is quite extensive and TNA has split it but as the soldier you're interested in only served in 1918 you will find all the information you need in this section for the princely sum of £3.50

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053085

It is of course also available on Ancestry as previously posted above.

The headlines for the 30 August are that the Battalion was moved forward to assembly trenches SE of Remy Wood and Village (Map 51 b) and the movement was observed by the enemy who brought machine gun and artillery fire down upon them causing 'heavy and severe casualties'.  

Ordered to attack at 4p.m. it was impossible for the Battalion to comply as the assembly area was still being shelled.  Eventually elements did manage to move forward but with little effect.  The action takes up a couple of pages in the diary, it was to say the least a disastrous operation for the Battalion which was much reduced in strength when the Roll was taken the following day.  Casualties were 5 0fficers and 166 ORs.

There may be more detailed maps in the Brigade diary but I've not looked.

Ken

• 2 months later...

At last maybe I can find out something about my Great Uncle Alfred Burford pte 201964

He was in 1st Bn Royal Warwickshire's and died 18 July 1918 aged 21. Please could you let me have any detail of the days leading up to and including 18.07.18 in the hope I can find out what may have happened as I don't suppose he is actually named in the diary. Any help appreciated.

• Admin

As noted above the war diary can be downloaded from TNA or viewed on Ancestry (it may be free sometime this weekend I don't know) using the previously posted links.

Briefly, on the 18th July the Battalion was in support of a large raid by the Duke of Wellington's which was supported by artillery fire.  The German artillery responded with reciprocal artillery bombardment, shells falling in the front line and support trenches of the Warwicks.  Four men were killed and six wounded. It appears he was one of those killed.  There is a detailed map reference in the diary.

It appears he originally enlisted in the 2/5th Warwicks in May 1916 before being posted to the 1st Battalion, he served two years on the wESTERN Front before being killed.

I suggest you have a look at the parent site there Long Long Trail, link top right.

Ken

12 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

As noted above the war diary can be downloaded from TNA or viewed on Ancestry (it may be free sometime this weekend I don't know) using the previously posted links.

Briefly, on the 18th July the Battalion was in support of a large raid by the Duke of Wellington's which was supported by artillery fire.  The German artillery responded with reciprocal artillery bombardment, shells falling in the front line and support trenches of the Warwicks.  Four men were killed and six wounded. It appears he was one of those killed.  There is a detailed map reference in the diary.

It appears he originally enlisted in the 2/5th Warwicks in May 1916 before being posted to the 1st Battalion, he served two years on the wESTERN Front before being killed.

I suggest you have a look at the parent site there Long Long Trail, link top right.

Ken

Thank you Ken for your quick response. I have previously struggled to find the diary on Ancestry but will now try again.

Hi,

21 minutes ago, MamaJ said:

I have previously struggled to find the diary on Ancestry but will now try again

On Ancestry, the diary for the 1st Bn for July 1918 starts here, and the 10 Bde HQ diary here.

Regards

Chris

• 1 month later...

hi,

i wonder if you could help, im lookng for information on private john thomas whitehouse, numberr 9604. He died  at KORTRYCK on 11 july 1915 from his wounds[ beleived to have been shot about 2 weeks earlier. He was in the Royal Warwichshire regiment 1st battalion.

Ant info would be much appreciated

Thanks

Dave

• Admin
2 hours ago, dave whitehouse said:

hi,

i wonder if you could help, im lookng for information on private john thomas whitehouse, numberr 9604. He died  at KORTRYCK on 11 july 1915 from his wounds[ beleived to have been shot about 2 weeks earlier. He was in the Royal Warwichshire regiment 1st battalion.

What do you know already?

He was interred by the Germans as noted on CWGC Records.  He is also listed in the Red Cross Records 

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/List/1312992/698/14257/

sorry link does not go direct his reference is PA 14257

War Diary notes one missing on 7 July and 3 on the 8th more likely to be  one of those rather than wounded  2 weeks earlier unless you know different.

Ken 

Edited by kenf48

• 3 months later...

Hello my relative was killed on 10 April 1917 8556 11/RWR Pte Alfred George fairbrother.  I have a fair amount of info but just wondered if the war diary mentions him.  I did access some but dnt currently have ancestry. I saw earlier that a farm was mentioned and wondered if that was where he was killed.  As an amateur I have tried to find out his location during his last hours. We dnt know if he was shot or what but I have posted previously and had great help with where he may be buried though officially there is no known grave.  To find anything of him no matter how small would be incredible.  All medal info etc we have. 

• Admin
17 hours ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

Hello my relative was killed on 10 April 1917 8556 11/RWR Pte Alfred George fairbrother.  I have a fair amount of info but just wondered if the war diary mentions him.  I did access some but dnt currently have ancestry. I saw earlier that a farm was mentioned and wondered if that was where he was killed.  As an amateur I have tried to find out his location during his last hours. We dnt know if he was shot or what but I have posted previously and had great help with where he may be buried though officially there is no known grave.  To find anything of him no matter how small would be incredible.  All medal info etc we have. 

This thread is the 1st Royal Warwickshire Regiment, just to clarify your relative was with the 11th and it's not a typo?

The 11th Bn were in the line from the 9th to the 13th April at the Battle of Arras and during that period 25 other ranks were killed, with 142 wounded and eight missing.  They are not named in the war diary.  The farm you recall is named Les Fosses Farm.  The diary reports the enemy retaliated to their advance with heavy shelling, which probably included machine gun fire.

There is a detailed account of the action and maps in the diary which you can download from TNA for £3.50

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354114

The Ist Battalion diary does not record any casualties for the 10th April 1917.

Ken

Thank you 

• 10 months later...

Does anyone know if the 1st Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment (1939 to 1949) is available online anywhere please and if so a link would be much appreciated. I have a UK sub with Ancestry and Forces War Records but it seems WW2 stuff is still hard to come by unless I'm simply not looking in the right place(s)?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Nick.

Hi Nick,

The best place to request any information about WW2 diaries is by joining

WW2talk.com

The diaries are not readily available but there are a couple of members who will get the diaries for you for a fee,

far cheaper than asking the NA.

Regards,

Graeme