Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Royal Warwickshire Regiment

SilverFox100

I have the full diary for the 1st RWR from Aug 1914 until 1919 if anybody requires look ups let me know. They were part of 10th Infantry Brigade, 4th Division. Regards. Mike

I have looked at parts of the diary before but have always wondered if there are any direct mentions of my great uncle 721 Private John Hone. He was a pre-war regular and served with the battalion throughout the war, dying in their last action at Verchain Maugre on 24th October 1918. A long shot, I know. Thanks,Mark.

I'll have a look Through the diary Mark and come back to you. Mike

Hello Mark

There are no mentions by name of your relative John Hone on the 24th Oct 1918. I can give you the diary entry though for the 24th as below and quoted as written.

24th. Zero hour is at 0400 hrs. Barrage is a little short to commence with and we have a few casualties from our own shell fire. River Ecaillon is crossed without difficulty and the village of VERCHAIN entered, large numbers of the enemy giving themselves up. At 0500 hrs the first objective is taken and A & C coys passed through B & D coys to the second objective which is on the high ground to the N E of VERCHAIN. Opposition is encountered here in the form of a trench line and several machine guns which renders further advance impossible at the time. A & C coys consolidate on a line about 200 yds in rear of the objective, having established touch on the left with 1st Somerset Light Infantry and on the right with 2nd Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Battalion is relieved at night by the 1st Kings Own Regiment (12th Brigade) and coys go back to billets at SAULZOIR. During the action the battalion has about 95 casualties killed and wounded. (Mentions some officers killed and wounded) Battalion captured 2 light trench mortars, 8 heavy machine guns, 10 light machine guns and 150 prisoners.

If it helps a bit more:-

23rd. Fine day. Battalion moved up into Battle positions at 2300. B & D coys are in the front line. B coy on right and D coy on left. C coy left support and A coy on right support.

A little later in the diary it has a statement of casualties in October and on the 24th there was 1 officer killed and 6 OR killed. 3 off and 86 OR were wounded.

I have found a mention of Private Hone after the Battle of the Scarpe (at which my wife's great uncle was killed on 7th May) on the 26th May, he won 1st prize at the 10th Infantry Brigade sports day for the Limber Driving Competition.

I have looked through the remainder of the diary but can find no further mention, although there are numerous details of raids etc (besides the battles they took part in) that your relative could have been involved in. Hope this helps. Mike

Hi Mike

Would you be able to post the WD entry for Sunday 30 April 1916, please.

I am researching William Thomas Owen, KiA this day,

many thanks,

Graeme

• 9 months later...

Hi

May i ask what the diary entry is for August 30th 1918 please as this was the date my relative died in the regiment (Alfred James Jeavons)

Thanks

Paul

Hi

May i ask what the diary entry is for August 30th 1918 please as this was the date my relative died in the regiment (Alfred James Jeavons)

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul, Just seen this part and your pm. Below is the entry for 30th Aug 1918.

No orders are received from Brigade until about 10am. which say that the Battalion is to move forward into assembly positions SE of REMY Wood and village. Coys dribble forward but the movement is observed and a heavy MG and artillery barrage is put down. B & C coys are much disorganised and suffer severe casualties. Lt. AJ Adams is killed, Capt PHW Hicks and Lt JB Coventry wounde and 2nd Lt TF Hyde gassed. Our artillery is asked to shell opposite ridge and hostile fire is considerably reduced. D Coy ably led by Capt EJA Maunsell MC get into position with only a few casualties. At noon the CO is called to another conference at BrigadeHQ and receives instructions to attack at 4pm in conjunction with the 2nd D of Wellingtons on the right and 11th Brigade on the left. Orders are issued but owing to the difficulty of getting hold of officers (assembly area still being shelled) it is impossible to promulgate these effectively. Capt EJA Maunsell MC takes his coy and elements of A B & C forward at the arranged time. They have to cross a stream and swamp some of the men wading through waist deep in mud and water. Line of 2nd objective is reached without much opposition on the part of the enemy, a number of whom were shot down as they attempted to run away. Lt JLC Seaman is killed, Lt CW Rowntree and 2nd Lt FG Kitching are wounded, 2nd Lt JE Hosking gassed. Owing to delay in crossing river and swamp the artillery barrage gets too far ahead. This, in conjunction with shortage of men, prevents 3 objectives being taken. Capt WGB Edmonds MC collects about 60 stragglers and takes them up to reinforce Capt EJA Maunsell MC who has established a line 100 yards west of the 2nd objective and has obtained touch on his right flank with the 2nd D of Wellingtons. At about 6pm a coy of 2nd Seaforth Highlanders is sent up in support to the Battalion in O24b. At midnight orders are received that the Battalion is to be relieved by the 2nd S Highlanders before dawn. The CO visists the line, is slightly wounded, but remains at duty. Relief is completed about 0430am. The battalion comes back into support in GORY TRENCH in O17a & b. Heavy hostile shelling of REMY village and wood. Lt EV Jones to hospital.

This is it Paul for the 30th.

If you let me know when your GG uncle joined the battalion I can have a look and tell you what he was involved in. I have only read this part so far but I will have a look through further when I hear from you

Regards Mike

No orders are received from Brigade until about 10am. which say that the Battalion is to move forward into assembly positions SE of REMY Wood and village. Coys dribble forward but the movement is observed and a heavy MG and artillery barrage is put down. B & C coys are much disorganised and suffer severe casualties. Lt. AJ Adams is killed, Capt PHW Hicks and Lt JB Coventry wounde and 2nd Lt TF Hyde gassed. Our artillery is asked to shell opposite ridge and hostile fire is considerably reduced. D Coy ably led by Capt EJA Maunsell MC get into position with only a few casualties. At noon the CO is called to another conference at BrigadeHQ and receives instructions to attack at 4pm in conjunction with the 2nd D of Wellingtons on the right and 11th Brigade on the left. Orders are issued but owing to the difficulty of getting hold of officers (assembly area still being shelled) it is impossible to promulgate these effectively. Capt EJA Maunsell MC takes his coy and elements of A B & C forward at the arranged time. They have to cross a stream and swamp some of the men wading through waist deep in mud and water. Line of 2nd objective is reached without much opposition on the part of the enemy, a number of whom were shot down as they attempted to run away. Lt JLC Seaman is killed, Lt CW Rowntree and 2nd Lt FG Kitching are wounded, 2nd Lt JE Hosking gassed. Owing to delay in crossing river and swamp the artillery barrage gets too far ahead. This, in conjunction with shortage of men, prevents 3 objectives being taken. Capt WGB Edmonds MC collects about 60 stragglers and takes them up to reinforce Capt EJA Maunsell MC who has established a line 100 yards west of the 2nd objective and has obtained touch on his right flank with the 2nd D of Wellingtons. At about 6pm a coy of 2nd Seaforth Highlanders is sent up in support to the Battalion in O24b. At midnight orders are received that the Battalion is to be relieved by the 2nd S Highlanders before dawn. The CO visists the line, is slightly wounded, but remains at duty. Relief is completed about 0430am. The battalion comes back into support in GORY TRENCH in O17a & b. Heavy hostile shelling of REMY village and wood. Lt EV Jones to hospital.

If you let me know when your GG uncle joined the battalion I can have a look and tell you what he was involved in. I have only read this part so far but I will have a look through further when I hear from you

Regards Mike

Thanks Mike

I have no further info on him as yet as i cant find his service records. I do have his medal card and CWGC info but thats it :(

• 1 month later...

Hi

I'm looking for any info on my GG Grandfather Leonard Feeney he was wounded on the 24th oct 1914

Hi Rich73

Generally other ranks are not mentioned in the war diaries only officers. I can quote the war dairy for the 24th Oct however as below:

24th Oct 1914.

2a.m. Heavy musketry and maxim fire by Germans lasting about 1p.m. 2 casualties. Desultory sniping in morning. At night 'C' company making new trench to cut off right angle corner to front trench.

7p.m. 1/2 'D' company under Lt Pilkington relieved company of Kings Own.

This is the end of the quote for 24th. It would seem that your gg grandfather was one of the 2 casualties shown above.

The regiment had moved from Bailleul on the 16th Oct and marched to cross the Lys into Armentieres which the Irish Fusiliers had taken from the Germans on 17th and were billeted near the station. From here they moved to Avile D'Alieniens in support Royal Dublin Fusiliers. They then moved forward to Houplines and came under a lot of shelling. They were under heavy fire each of the following days until your ggg was injured.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mike

• 1 month later...

Hello Mike,

got a bunch of questions concerning French corporal Jacques Vaché, briefly attached to 1 RWR as interpreter from 26 July to 6 August 1915.

1. Vaché writes (to his father) that he was attached to a "young captain"; any clues from the WD as to who this might be?

2. After two days the colonel posted a request to have Vaché permanently attached to 1 RWR, but the French would not allow it. Is there a copy of this request in the WD?

3.Vaché mentions undertaking a little night raid "together with 2 comrades" while with 1 RWR. I wonder if these 2 were RWR, any mention of a 3-man night raid in the WD? If so, any names?

Thanks,

JCV

Hello Mike,

got a bunch of questions concerning French corporal Jacques Vaché, briefly attached to 1 RWR as interpreter from 26 July to 6 August 1915.

1. Vaché writes (to his father) that he was attached to a "young captain"; any clues from the WD as to who this might be?

2. After two days the colonel posted a request to have Vaché permanently attached to 1 RWR, but the French would not allow it. Is there a copy of this request in the WD?

3.Vaché mentions undertaking a little night raid "together with 2 comrades" while with 1 RWR. I wonder if these 2 were RWR, any mention of a 3-man night raid in the WD? If so, any names?

Thanks,

JCV

Hi JCV

I'll get back to you as soon as possible with any info once I have a chance to go through the war diary

Regards. Mike

Hi JCV have had a chance to look at the relevant part of the war diary. The only mention of the name of a Captain is that on the 18th July at Houtkerque, a Capt Harwood returned from leave and re-joined the regiment. For some background read as follows-

'22nd July left Houtkerque to Godwaerswelde and entrained to Doullens arriving 10 pm. Marched to Freschervillers and onwards to Bertrancourt and went into billets.

On 25th July took over trenches from the French at Sucrerie near Mailly-Maillet. (mention in remarks column 65th Regiment D'Infanterie).

'Mention on 26th July that a French liason officer stayed with us and showed us around' - but no names given.

There is no sign of a request for Vache to be permanently attached to the regiment.

It says that on the 6th August a patrol was sent out to reconnoitre an enemy sap. There is then a separate appendix, which is a report of this patrol. - as follows:-

Report on patrol of night 5/6th August.

The following took part.....

2nd Lt T D Dixon

7187 L Cpl J Dark

8013 Pte H Revill

2662 Pte H Barton

9969 Pte A Farmer

4597 Pte W Brookes

(There were two raids on 5th and 6th nights, the only one of them on 6th is as follows:-)

'On 6th August two German snipers were observed to conceal themselves in a shell hole. L Cpl Dark went out with bombs under cover of a hedge to turn them out and succeeded in doing so, while men waited to shoot them from the trench as they ran... L Cpl Dark was unfortunately wounded in the wrist. I wish very much to bring his name forward in connection with these two enterprises, as also that of Pte Revill in connection with the first raid.'

This is written and signed by the Colonel, A J Poole.

That's as much as there is I'm afraid, hope this helps

Regards

Mike

Hi JCV have had a chance to look at the relevant part of the war diary. The only mention of the name of a Captain is that on the 18th July at Houtkerque, a Capt Harwood returned from leave and re-joined the regiment. For some background read as follows-

'22nd July left Houtkerque to Godwaerswelde and entrained to Doullens arriving 10 pm. Marched to Freschervillers and onwards to Bertrancourt and went into billets.

On 25th July took over trenches from the French at Sucrerie near Mailly-Maillet. (mention in remarks column 65th Regiment D'Infanterie).

'Mention on 26th July that a French liason officer stayed with us and showed us around' - but no names given.

There is no sign of a request for Vache to be permanently attached to the regiment.

It says that on the 6th August a patrol was sent out to reconnoitre an enemy sap. There is then a separate appendix, which is a report of this patrol. - as follows:-

Report on patrol of night 5/6th August.

The following took part.....

2nd Lt T D Dixon

7187 L Cpl J Dark

8013 Pte H Revill

2662 Pte H Barton

9969 Pte A Farmer

4597 Pte W Brookes

(There were two raids on 5th and 6th nights, the only one of them on 6th is as follows:-)

'On 6th August two German snipers were observed to conceal themselves in a shell hole. L Cpl Dark went out with bombs under cover of a hedge to turn them out and succeeded in doing so, while men waited to shoot them from the trench as they ran... L Cpl Dark was unfortunately wounded in the wrist. I wish very much to bring his name forward in connection with these two enterprises, as also that of Pte Revill in connection with the first raid.'

This is written and signed by the Colonel, A J Poole.

That's as much as there is I'm afraid, hope this helps

Regards

Mike

Sorry should be 64th Regiment D'Infantrie

• 1 month later...

Regards Mike

Hi

Hi Mike,

I now have a little more info on my relative Alfred James Jeavons. (24804)

The medal roll shows he started off with the 2nd Royal Warwicks, then the 2/7th before ending up with the 1st.

He wasnt awarded the Star medal from his medal card so i assume he must have joined up later on after 1915.

War Office casualty list 5463, Part no 6, states he was wounded around 11th Jan 1918 (recorded on this date i think?)

Can you glean any more info from this in the diarys?

Thanks again!

Paul

Hi Mike,

I am trying to plot (Google Map) the travels of Robert William Blinco 9400 1st Bn. he was discharged after serving a 12 year term in 1916 and was wounded at St Julien. I am particularly interested in 1914 where they landed etc and what the roles in the following were;

• 26th Aug. Battle of Le Cateau.

• 1st Sept. The Affair of Nery

• 7-10th Sept. Battle of the Marne . Including the passage of the Petit Morin and the passage of the Marne.

• 12-15th Sept. Battle of the Aisne. Including the capture of the Aisne Heights including the Chemin des dames

• 12th Oct-2nd Nov. Battle of Messines.

• 13th Oct-2nd Nov. Battle of Armentieres. Including the capture of Meteren.

​​Any info appreciated thanks

Roger

Hi

Hi Mike,

I now have a little more info on my relative Alfred James Jeavons. (24804)

The medal roll shows he started off with the 2nd Royal Warwicks, then the 2/7th before ending up with the 1st.

He wasnt awarded the Star medal from his medal card so i assume he must have joined up later on after 1915.

War Office casualty list 5463, Part no 6, states he was wounded around 11th Jan 1918 (recorded on this date i think?)

Can you glean any more info from this in the diarys?

Thanks again!

Paul

Hi Paul

I have looked at the diary for January 1918 and in the monthly Statement of Casualties, the only OR casualties indicated around this date is on the 4th when 6 OR were mentioned, but not by name. On the dates between 1st to 3rd and 5th to 12th there are no other wounded casualties.

On 1st Jan the RWR were at Schramm Barracks in or around Arras. On the 4th the men are at Les Fosses Farm trenches, and the entry reads as below

4th. 'Enemy aircraft flying low over our lines all day. Groups work under RE supervision carrying material. 1 group under RE's on PICK AVENUE. 1 officer and 20 men put out wire in front of HILL SUPPORT from 5pm to 8pm. Fine day. Quiet night.'

I can only think that the casualties probably happened when the wire was being put out in I assume no mans land?

Hope this helps

Regards Mike

Hi Mike,

I am trying to plot (Google Map) the travels of Robert William Blinco 9400 1st Bn. he was discharged after serving a 12 year term in 1916 and was wounded at St Julien. I am particularly interested in 1914 where they landed etc and what the roles in the following were;

• 26th Aug. Battle of Le Cateau.

• 1st Sept. The Affair of Nery

• 7-10th Sept. Battle of the Marne . Including the passage of the Petit Morin and the passage of the Marne.

• 12-15th Sept. Battle of the Aisne. Including the capture of the Aisne Heights including the Chemin des dames

• 12th Oct-2nd Nov. Battle of Messines.

• 13th Oct-2nd Nov. Battle of Armentieres. Including the capture of Meteren.

​​Any info appreciated thanks

Roger

Hi Roger

There is quite a lot of information here so I will probably have to do this over a period of posts.

The 1st arrived at Southampton on 22/8 and boarded the Caledonia and sailed at 10:30am and arrived off Boulogne at 8pm but remained on board until 04:30am when they were landed. They left Boulogne on one train at 11:30pm that night. Arrived at Le Cateau at 10:30am. The war diary for 24th and onwards as follows:-

24/8 10:30am Le Cateau. Arrived and marched at once to Beaumont and went into bivouac with brigade. Fine and hot. Outposts out to NE of Beaumobt.

25/8 02:00am Beaumont. Left on orders of brigade for St Python.

06:00am StPython. Arrived and had breakfast. Firing to N and NE at about 7am we moved back and took up a fire position at FARM at POINT 118. English force retiring south, 18th brigade and cavalry, we covered their retirement and came under horse artillery fire at 6pm, no casualties. Received orders to retire as soon as ..........(can't read)..had passed through.

11:00pm Point 118 Moved off via Beauvois for Aucourt. Rained a good deal.

26/8 04:30am Aucourt. Arrived after a long march about 12 miles & bivouac in a cornfield near Aucourt.

05:15am Aucourt Heavy maxim fire opened on the Kings Own and Lancs Fus on ridge 800 yds to our front and N of us. Regiment rapidly got extended and took up a fire position, enemy occupied ridge and -opened Maxim and gun fire.

07:00am " The forward line in road under Maj C Christie attacked the ridge and reached the top, but were, owing to heavy gun and Maxim fire, were unable to hold the position & and withdrew in good order with a company of Kings Own to the road, with a loss of 7 officers wounded and 40 men killed, wounded and missing. We held our position under heavy gun fire for the remainder of day with further casualties of 1 officer and 14 men wounded.

16:00 " Towards evening the 12th Brigade on our right fell back on LIGNY. The regiment now became split up, A coy having retired as escort to the guns at 3pm. of the remainder about 60 with Col. Elkington retired also on LIGNY at 6.30pm. Maj Poole in command of remaining and still holding position rec'd no orders and only became aware of the general retirement at 7.30pm at this time the enemy were on three sides of the position. With detachments of other regiments similarly situated, Maj HJ Poole effected a retirement by night and for 48 hours avoided collision with the enemy and eventually rejoined the 4th Division, near HAM.

-this is all for 26th.

1/9 Nery Marched at dawn to relieve attack on guns and cavalry at Nery - arrived too late to be of any assistance. Went on with Division to BARON.

7/9 Serres 6am. Regiment with R I Fus moved across the river and took up a position on high ground N of CRECY to cover crossing of Division-enemy had retired during the night -Division crossed at 1pm and we resumed our position in rear of AG at Le Croiselle and marched to Girimoutiers, a few stray shots at Lt Epinure?-rather a long tiring day and very hot. 8 miles.

8/9 Girimoutiers Brigade in reserve left at 3.45am for Les Fermieres got in touch with Germans at Petit Courron about 12 oclock. Jouarres? reported held by enemy Brigade was deployed for attack but Germans were driven out of Jouarres by 5th Div. We went in bivouac at Hotel De Bois. Heavy rain during afternoon. Two coys on outposts. 8 miles.

9/9 Hotel De Bois Germans blew up bridge over river Marne. Regiment remained in bivouac. Brigade advanced via Jouarres & Tarterre to Les Poupeuans & bivouac for night. 4 miles

10/9 Les Poupeuans Left and marched via Laferte and railway bridges over the Marne via Les Davids to Hervilliers, Germans had retreated in same direction - 14 miles.

Hoppe this helps. Will look at other parts when I have some more time

Regards Mike

Filling in some missing parts:

25/8 Received orders to retire as soon as 18th Infantry Brigade had passed through.

In case you are trying to find the places on a map, note there are some small errors in the transcription as well as mis-spellings in the original doc:

26/8 the place is modern Haucourt rather than Aucourt which was spelled phonetically in the diary.

7/9 it is Giremoutiers not Girimoutiers and L'Epineuse (not Lt Epinure) is a place (48°51'49.64"N 3° 2'21.05"E) not an individual.

9/9 place is Tarterel not Tarterre - misspelled in the diary

10/9 place is Les Poupelins not Les Poupuens etc...

For a mere £3.30 you can download the diary from TNA.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the excellent information re le Cateau and Marne battles look forward to anything else you can transcribe. I will definitely let you have the link to the Google map when I have completed it.

On another matter 1st Battalion Warwicks. I have just tweeted this and wondered if you had seen the photos here?

My Tweet
The formal Uniform worn by the Royal Warwickshire Regiment in India note the Pith hat. The uniform was blue with red facings I believe
From a nice set of photos of Joseph Charles WHITEHOUSE M. M.

Thanks Mike. I realise this is a lot of work for you.

I have 350 soldiers I am researching for a family history book and have downloaded most of their diaries when available from NA but its nearly 8 dollars Canadian and I am retired so asking for help, happy to take images of the relevant pages and transcribed for you .

Regards

Thanks Mike. I realise this is a lot of work for you.

I have 350 soldiers I am researching for a family history book and have downloaded most of their diaries when available from NA but its nearly 8 dollars Canadian and I am retired so asking for help, happy to take images of the relevant pages and transcribed for you .

Hi Roger

I really don't mind helping where I can, I have this diary and it was my offer to help so don't worry about it. I will look at the other couple of dates you mentioned soonest. I am also looking at my family war records and I have my Grandfather and his 3 brothers who all survived the war and I am going to write all their histories so I have set myself a bit of a task and will take some time. Being retired now helps of course.

Good luck. Come back to you soon

Regards. Mike

Regards

Hi Roger

to continue:-

12th Sept 1914 5.30am Villers-le-Petit Left forming part of AG via La Loge FM, TIGNY, BUZANCY. French corp came in touch at VIERZY, we advanced to ECURY where our guns shelled enemy near VILLENUEVE. We were relieved at dusk by 12th Brigade and went into billets at SEPTMONTS. Poured with rain everyone wet through.

13th Sept 1914 8.00am Septmonts Left for VENIZEL, halted on top of hill till 2pm the regiment took up a position on south side River AISNE to cover advanced troops. Advanced via VENIZEL and crossed river AISNE at 10pm and moved up road to BUCY le LONG.

14th Sept 1914 4.30am Bucy-le-Long Moved up under cover of village, heavily shelled by enemy's artillery without damage to us. C & D reinforced the Rifle Brigade at the CAVE but returned at dusk.

15th Sept 1914 Bucy-le-Long Heavily shelled all day, got well under cover. C & D again reinforced, 2 men wounded on way up, rain and getting cold.

12th Oct 1914 5am Route CRUIL-ETAPLES-BOULOGNE-CALAIS-ST OMAR

Arrive StOmar and march to French barracks

2pm Move up into square near Hotel-de-Ville with remainder of brigade.

4pm German aeroplane dropped 2 bombs on the town

6.30pm Left by motor buses for CASTRE making a detour of 40 miles-very cold

13th Oct 1914 2am Arrived CASTRE and went into billets

9.20am Orders to move to METEREN

9.30am A & C coys formed advance guard under Major Poole with Division Cyclist Co and cavalry in front

10am On reaching FLETRE enemy were reported to be holding high ground along ridge in front of METEREN, A & B coys were deployed A on left B on right north of road to advance and if possible to cross road. D coy under Maj Christie was sent up behind C coy in support. Enemy retired into and just outside METEREN occupying trenches and houses.

11am Regiment ordered to push on and endeavour to push them out.

1pm Gained outskirts of village but were held up and great need of supports. C & D coys again advanced and took several trenches but suffered severely.

1.30pm GOC ordered regiment to halt & he would and he would attack with Xth brigade to north of village & 12th brigade was to attack on S of road.

2pm 12th brigade commence their attack

3pm Seaforths attack on our left & through A coy which withdrew at dusk to PLANEBOON. C & D coys under Capt Freeman and Maj Christie were unable to withdraw til much later owing to heavy fire but about 8pm the Kings Own came up and passed through them.

10pm C & D coy join battalion at PLANEBOON, the regiment becoming reserve to brigade. METEREN was taken during the night. Our casualties 42 killed 85 wounded. Maj Christie, Lt Gilliat (died of wounds), Lt Montgomery (badly wounded). Lts Brindley, Young & Thornhill(slightly). Very wet all day. A perfect advance by companies concerned. Very good spirit shown by all concerned. Battalion remained in reserve.

14th Oct 1914 3.50pm Moved off with division forming part of main body

6.30pm Went into billets in METEREN, enemy having retired a good few positions were taken.

15th Oct 1914 Meteren Battalion remained in billets

moved to Bailleul.............................................marched to Le Leuthe..................................onto Armentieres, Germans in here.......................(quite a lot of info about moving around..............

and onwards to Houplines.

21st Oct 1914 Houplines Battles raging all round. Heavy shelling. 11th & 12th brigades got forward NW of river LYS. 17th brigade retired a little during the night to improve their line which left our right flank very much in the air.

22nd Oct Heavy firing going on all round..................

23rd Oct Reserved companies shelled by heavies about noon...................

24th Oct Heavy musketry & maxim fire by Germans lasting until 1pm...............

25th Oct Heavy shelling all day...................

26th Oct Heavy shelling by our own guns in morning, enemy shelled trenches and sniped continuously.......

27th Oct Enemy shelled C & D coy trenches and sniped continuously......

28th Oct Quiet night last night, sniping all day very little shelling..........

29th Oct Quiet day on the whole, sniping all day..................

30th Oct Some shelling during the day............

31st Oct Our battery shelled houses in front of A coy...........

First 2 days of November shelled all day and incessant sniping............

These last few days I have put only the main details down. Not very much other interesting info given in the war diary.

Hope this helps. At times the war diaries are not particularly forthcoming with much detail at all of the various battles that went on.

Regards Mike