Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identity please

Chipper

Hi,

I have been sent a photo taken in the 1920's (probably the early 1920's)

It is quite grainy when you enlarge but wondered if anyone could ID the badge on the Captain (?) front row right. My grandfather is at the back, far right. He served in Queen Victoria Rifles, but the badge on the Officer is clearly not that.

AND... one final thing, on my grandfather's tunic, I assumed was the BWM ribbon, but the light edges and dark middle confuse me... Any wise old souls like to proffer an opinion?

Cheers,

Chipper

post-102868-0-56635400-1384023426_thumb.

The Officer's OSD (Officer's Service Dress) Bronze collar badge appears to be that of the Royal Army Medical Corps.

Hope this helps

Sepoy

The most likely ribbon on your grandfather's tunic is that of the 1911 Coronation, but it could also be the 1914 Star if he served with the 9th Londons.

AND... one final thing, on my grandfather's tunic, I assumed was the BWM ribbon, but the light edges and dark middle confuse me... Any wise old souls like to proffer an opinion?

The most likely ribbon on your grandfather's tunic is that of the 1911 Coronation, but it could also be the 1914 Star if he served with the 9th Londons.

It looks like the BWM ribbon, allowing for the usual fact that a photo taken with orthochromatic film (as was commonly used around the time of WW1) will render certain light colours dark and other dark colours light, thus how they appear in a finished photograph is often quite dramically different to the colours they would actually appear in person, eg:

http://postimage.org/image/1iwrushes/

mgg_ribbonscomparison.jpg

Thanks to everyone.

OK, I think it most likely it is the BWM (thanks for the info Andrew) as my grandfather landed in France as a reinforcement early in 1918, and age rules out 1911 coronation. But I really appreciate everyone taking the time to look and comment.

Cheers,

The BWM ribbon would have been worn "on its own" if no Star was awarded until the AVM was authorised; It is not unusal to see the BWM and a Star or just BWM Ribbon worn alone at this time.