Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battalion The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

liverbird

Hi I hope someone out there can put me on the right track with this question. My husbands grandfather was part of this Battalion as shown on the CWWG site and I am sure he was one of the men who landed in Le Havre in August 1914, I wonder does any one know the timeline for this Battalion from then to the Battle of Loos were he died on the 25th September 1915 and is buried in St Mary's dressing station.

I have followed everything through on the site and it would appear this Battalion as part of the 1st division was engaged in the Battle of Mons on the 23rd August then the Battle of Marne 7-10 Sept and later doing other engagements and on to Loos. I am getting bogged down with info and don't want to make any huge errors in my research on him, looks as though these poor chaps were literally thrown in at the deep end with no lifebelt or redress, makes my heart cry to read some of the accounts that ordinary people had thrown at them all in one year.

Regards to all who pick this request up.

Hi Liverbird,

1st LNL were part of 2nd Bde of 1st Div, along with the 2nd Sussex, 1st Northants and 2nd KRRC. As part of 1 Corps they were in the Retreat from Mons but not, to any great degree, compared to the units in 2 Corps who were engaged at Mons and Le Cateau. My main interest is 2nd Sussex in the same brigade and their first major casualties were not until 10th September. The Brigade was involved in the battles of the Marne, Aisne and 1st Ypres and new year 1915 saw them amongst the Brickstacks. The brigade suffered very heavily at Aubers Ridge on 9th May 1915 and then again at Loos on 25th September. I have their WD if I can help at all

Plus this may be of interest to you: https://archive.org/details/withreservistinf00bolwrich

All the best, happy to help where I can

Jim

Hi to both of you thank you very much for your input, Jim can I take you up on the offer of the war diaries if it is not too much trouble especially the account of Loos and thanks for the pointer to the book which looks a great account of one mans experience I look forward to hearing from you

Rhys the website you pointed out to me was were I started my research I have to say it is so well put together and this is where all the accounts I read plus those on this website and forum have made such an impression on me as the futility of war. I can remember the last war and the bombing myself as a child and the sound of a siren turns me cold. Once again thanks a lot.

Hi Jim thank you for the corrected link I have Downloaded the war diaries and am in the process of printing them, what reading they make, don't know how those poor men managed every day life even without the shells and mud, all Hero's in my book, can't imagine not bathing or eating just when you could and in between the skirmishes and shelling you had to practice marching and fighting. I notice the only ones who are mentioned if wounded, missing or killed or had flu were the officers. Nothing's fair in love and war.

Thanks also to sotonmate who sent the last posting that will make a nice addition to the printout of the above war diaries

Hi Liverbird,

Glad you got it okay. Most war diaries are like that, I suppose it was take too much time and space to list ORs killed, wounded, missing etc. but sometimes it does occur, after particular engagements. There are exceptions though, a friend has been looking into 8th Bn Royal Sussex and their war diary catalogues every man killed, wounded or missing. Men who are decorated often get listed too. Sad and frustrating at times for us researchers, but a sign of those times. I hope you get all you wish from your reading

All the best

Jim