Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New - First World War – An Illustrated History £4.99

Seadog

Not a book as such but well worth a mention. I spotted this large-format magazine-type publication of 130 pages in Asda and I find it to be a very good and informative read indeed. It is superbly illustrated with both original and modern images and in my opinion is good value at a cover price of £4.99. For me it was good to see on page 75 concerning the battle of the Somme a large colour photo of the Bristol’s Own Memorial Cross at Longueval which made the cover price well worth it. Have look when you see it on the newsstands and see what you think.

Norman

PS Other supermarkets/newsagents are of course available

PPS Published by Key Publishing

Not a book as such but well worth a mention. I spotted this large-format magazine-type publication of 130 pages in Asda and I find it to be a very good and informative read indeed. It is superbly illustrated with both original and modern images and in my opinion is good value at a cover price of £4.99. For me it was good to see on page 75 concerning the battle of the Somme a large colour photo of the Bristol’s Own Memorial Cross at Longueval which made the cover price well worth it. Have look when you see it on the newsstands and see what you think.

Norman

PS Other supermarkets/newsagents are of course available

PPS Published by Key Publishing

Norman

I bought a copy of this last week and agree that for the price it's a bargain. I think the pictures are a particularly interesting selection that are well captioned throughout. It was nice to see (also on Page 75) that for once the famous image of soldiers apparently walking into no man's land is referred to as 'staged... well behind the lines' - it makes it no less evocative to have it correctly attributed.

David

Sorry guys, big mistake page 85 - women at war.

Munition workers were called "canaries" because they were exposed to sulphur. WRONG - as I wrote in the thread on this subject, it was due to picric acid, TNT and tetryl. This has come from a mistake on wikipedia, originally the BBC educational website though this has recently been corrected to TNT.