Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/7th Hampshire Regiment

thegrove

• 5 months later...

@thegrovehi there, are you still researching the 2/7ths? 
I am a few steps in my journey, trying to piece together what they were up to other than the basics of India and comms work in Mesopotamia (not lots of information). However if you have the opportunity the British Library have two Editions (issue 1/2) of the regimental magazine. Some interesting information and a list of names. They have lists of the sports that they played in with the scores and the teams and some comments on the games. Also some talking points on the men that were drafted to the 1/4th hants that were at Kut-El-Amara. I’m just waiting to hear back from the museum to see if it’s possible to see what issues they have. 

regards

DCL

0D535F20-4902-4A12-B2FE-6AE65A792D2E.jpeg

2141FDC4-B20D-410D-A3C5-DFB8BC3799F0.jpeg

3A49754C-D893-4EFF-B8C9-374A385033B5.jpeg

@David CLHi, this is an excellent find. On my BL list to do. I assume you are check with a regimental museum?

Thanks,

• 1 month later...
On 25/10/2021 at 00:18, David CL said:

I’m just waiting to hear back from the museum to see if it’s possible to see what issues they have. 

This blog post suggests there may well be other parts or similar publications around for the Hampshires https://trenchartswordsintoploughshares.blogspot.com/2012/11/one-from-collection-in-memoriam-pt.html

Has the RM come up with anything?

Graham

On 28/11/2021 at 16:43, thegrove said:

This blog post suggests there may well be other parts or similar publications around for the Hampshires https://trenchartswordsintoploughshares.blogspot.com/2012/11/one-from-collection-in-memoriam-pt.html

Has the RM come up with anything?

Graham

Sorry for the delay, I’m still waiting for them to get back to me. Still working from home so there’s a delay in looking in the archives. That’s a very interesting article! Some nice information on the second battalion there! 

I have a a few editions of that journal (1914/15/16/17). Still waiting to go through them, from what I saw in the BL they are not as detailed as the monthly battalion journals. Which is a shame, and predominately casualty lists month by month. 

I have also just came in to contact with someone who’s grandfather was a Sgt with the 2/7ths. They have some information and some imagery from his time in India and mespot! So very much looking forward to seeing them and hoping some more information will come to light. 

DCL