Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Blame Baldrick for our view of Great War'

NigelS

I always hated the saccharine-coated satire (sic) of M*A*S*H: awful programme, but I suspect it influenced a lot of people's views of the Korean War.

I rather liked MASH, in particular the junior NCO corporal? Radar? Not so sure about the surgeons, but Radar range true.

Old Tom

I think I must be close to unique in never having seen either the film or the TV series!

MASH started off quite cynical and cruel (more like the original film) but softened markedly as it went on. Like 'Dad's Army' it lasted far longer than the war in which it was set, with the cast visibly aging. The series goes backwards and forwards in time, with e.g. Colonel Potter originally taking over in 1952 but subsequent episodes with him are specifically dated back as far as the winter of 1950/51. They celebrate about seven Christmases during the run of the show. Their haircuts are definitely not army regulation or even typical of 1950s civilians. Not that any of it matters of course. The author of the original novels, a right-wing Republican hated the TV version as pinko Liberal trash; it was really commenting on the Vietnam War rather than Korea. However at the time it was my favourite TV programme and I tried to model myself on Alan Alda's 'Hawkeye'.

I tried to model myself on Alan Alda's 'Hawkeye'.

Well done.

How did you end up ?

I enjoyed M*A*S*H for what it was, because it had some great one-liners.

Groucho-esque par excellence.

I'm still plagiarising them.

The interaction between the two hippie (yes, it was really a Vietnam satire, despite the Korean setting) central characters (Hawkeye and BJ) with the bumptious, ambitious brown-noser, Major Frank, just hit several spots for me.

I've just read through that awful last sentence above - well, nobody else will, and anyway, I know what I mean . . . .

I never had quite the same success with the opposite sex as he did but I do quite a good Groucho Marx impersonation. I don't distil my own licquor.

The views of the Staff would certainly have struck a chord with the readers of the Wipers Times

One of my favourite BAGF episodes has Captain Blackadder falling in love with a soldier called Bob, who is obviously a woman and therein lies the humour. Surely it is absurd to think that anyone would beleive that there were women at the front pretending to be men........or is it!

One of my favourite BAGF episodes has Captain Blackadder falling in love with a soldier called Bob, who is obviously a woman and therein lies the humour. Surely it is absurd to think that anyone would beleive that there were women at the front pretending to be men........or is it!

Certainly there are examples from earlier wars