Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lives of the First World War launch - February 2014

Matthew_F

But that's my problem. When I try to add his birth date via the evidence, I can't. When you go into the "Add facts from this evidence" page, and you click the arrow next to age (or birth), do you get the dropdown box allowing you to add the fact? Because I don't. Nothing happens. It's probably a browser issue but it's very frustrating!! (as you can tell ... sorry)

Thanks, it's good to see that others have the same thoughts. I still don't like the site, too clunky, too difficult to work around, and I'm not overly impressed with DC Thompson

Anne

• Admin

But that's my problem. When I try to add his birth date via the evidence, I can't. When you go into the "Add facts from this evidence" page, and you click the arrow next to age (or birth), do you get the dropdown box allowing you to add the fact? Because I don't. Nothing happens. It's probably a browser issue but it's very frustrating!! (as you can tell ... sorry)

I have no problems. I'm on Windows 7 with IE 11. If you are using an older version of IE, try the Compatibility View settings. Some people have had problems with IE9. Otherwise, use the Contact Support link in the Feedback area and send them details of what operating sytem, browser etc you are using.

• Admin

Thanks, it's good to see that others have the same thoughts. I still don't like the site, too clunky, too difficult to work around, and I'm not overly impressed with DC Thompson

Anne

Funnily enough, when my FMP sub expires I may well use the IWM "light" version as old parish registers and a lot of the other stuff in the FMP option are not used by me.

The site does get a bit easier to understand with practice but the mindset of find facts from a source rather than the normal genealogy method of finding a source for facts took longer to get to grips with. I'm going to keep plodding on and giving feedback in the hope it gets easier to use.

One of my problems was that if you click on a little pencil in most aps that means you open up a screen to edit. But clicking on the little pencil did not open up and edit screen. I am using Windows 7 home edition and Google Chrome browser.

Another problem was that the field names for unit were may be designed only for an infantry soldier? No sign of which field one should use to enter the artillery battery or batteries in which men served. Now that info is what most families are after because the battery info is so hard to come by, as we have seen on this forum, and without it you dont know where your ancestor served unless his service or pension record survives.

• Admin

I have to admit, I only open up pages to edit via the main external reference and haven't really used the pencil or view source option.

For the sub-units, here is what I do for a new entry under the Unit and Rank area. Also to highlight the purple entries at the top if there are existing entries. I only edi those to add details such as battalion, RA brigde. If there is a different rank showing, I add anew one to allow for promotions.

post-32914-0-20192400-1400158781_thumb.j

post-32914-0-80933300-1400158789_thumb.j

I have no problems. I'm on Windows 7 with IE 11. If you are using an older version of IE, try the Compatibility View settings. Some people have had problems with IE9. Otherwise, use the Contact Support link in the Feedback area and send them details of what operating sytem, browser etc you are using.

Glen

I am on IE9, but using Compatability View settings seems to have fixed it. Thanks so much!

Sarah

Thank you SPOF but already you have had to re-allocate fields.

The Brigade goes in the Field for Battery and the Battery into sub unit.

I myself frequently for my private purposes mis-use labelled database fields, but on a public website one needs consistency in the use of fields.

• Admin

"The Brigade goes in the Field for Battery and the Battery into sub unit."

I'm 99% sure that Battalion and Battery weren't in that label in the beta. I have posted a suggestion that Battery gets replaced with Brigade.

I've added my votes to that and supporting comment

Took a first look at "Lives" today. First search - my grandad -> nothing.

Entered a common mis-spelling of his middle name -> found him, but also found his regiment wrongly transcribed from a clearly written RFA to Royal Army Medical Corps. Even Ancestry got that right! His number was given correctly.

I am not sure I am sufficiently enthused to offer a correction.

Sad that they are not making it easier to find information that has been added. The search options are very limited. An obvious search would be to take a battalion list and ask to see the entries that have had images added. But this facility does not seem to be available? Perhaps I am wrong? If so can someone tell me how to do this?

I must admit I have found the usuability not of the best - and it can take a while to learn how to add stuff.

The project itself has to be admired in it's breadth and scope.

That said many users will just want to add to records for their relative or relatives and will not be heavy users - it is these folks that will struggle with usuability and probably just walk away, sadly.

I fear that using records that are generally only available commercially mean that a charge has to be levied. I suspect that is a necessary compromise, but will discourage folks who pay for that information.

Frustrating as it is, I think there is a need to provide/link to reliable sources to ensure data is accurate.

That said, during the beta testing period I did manage to award the VC to one man withoiut citing evidence (yes he did win the VC). AT the same time I was frustrated by the records which said one man was commissioned into the RAF in 1917. He was commissioned into the RE and then served in a unit drawing from RFC and RE (and after 1st April 1918 RAF and RE), One could argue he was seconded, but he was an RE man through and through.

Lets hope these "issues" are sorted out.

Entered a common mis-spelling of his middle name -> found him, but also found his regiment wrongly transcribed from a clearly written RFA to Royal Army Medical Corps. Even Ancestry got that right! His number was given correctly.

Exactly my problem. And the help letters I am receiving still do not clarify how one corrects information mis transcribed from a medal card, when the only source available to one (unless one pays) is their own mis-transcription.

If you are correcting an error you need to be able to evidence this by adding an

external reference or a photograph. This is why the improve on the fact pencil

will not be working as you need to add evidence first.

My only image of the medal card (the verifiable source) comes from ancestry. I am therefore unable to carry out the steps they suggest.

How can I or anyone add evidence when they already have the medal card cited as evidence?

Do they want the PRO reference for his medal card? And if so, why should we go to the pro catalogue to make corrections to errors that their contractors have made?

Doctord84, go to the support forum, via https://livesofthefi...orldwar.org/faq (also ahs email contact details etc) or click the little question mark symbol in the bottom righthand corner of the screen. I presume you ahve checked your spam folder etc?

Thanks David

Sorted now!

Took a first look at "Lives" today. First search - my grandad -> nothing.

I am not sure I am sufficiently enthused to offer a correction.

The MIC data is taken directly from the TNA catalogue listings, so while I hate to admit it, the blame for that cannot be laid at the door of Lives...

Exactly my problem. And the help letters I am receiving still do not clarify how one corrects information mis transcribed from a medal card, when the only source available to one (unless one pays) is their own mis-transcription.

My only image of the medal card (the verifiable source) comes from ancestry. I am therefore unable to carry out the steps they suggest.

How can I or anyone add evidence when they already have the medal card cited as evidence?

Do they want the PRO reference for his medal card? And if so, why should we go to the pro catalogue to make corrections to errors that their contractors have made?

If it's a clear transcription error, click on "Medal Index Card" in the evidence list, then "Add Facts from this Evidence", then "All Names", then "Improve" on the relevant name, and the text box will become editable - no fee required.

100% accuracy of transcription is impossible, some mistakes are bound to slip through, and even then there will be errors in the original records, or characters that can be read in more than one way.

These could also be reported in Discovery to get the error fixed that way too, but I don't think this would necessarily be fed back through to Lives

I have now received another letter telling me what to do, and have dutifully made the effort. Again no success.

Even by selecting the medal card, one simply cannot alter the unit or battalion. Perhaps one can add info, but not change what is already there. There is no error in Discovery.

Moreover the unit war diary mentions my uncle Edgar Gollin as an officer Dec 1915 and mentions his being wounded (he died of wounds) in the same 13th Battalion in 1917.

It seems to me that there are major historical questions about the First World war that have always interested me. Conscientious objection. Families with members both in UK and in Germany. Class and the Church of England as factors affecting enlistment and promotion.

I see absolutely no point in disputes with the IWM about whether it was 13th or 15th Battalion in which one innocent but dutiful Oxford undergraduate served and died.

Accurate history is something breathed on glass. Edgar is firmly in the wrong unit now, like it or not. And when you come to World War 2 his two brothers, my father Geoffrey who was a rocket scientist and the youngest brother Edward who worked for the admiralty intelligence have suffered a similar fate: they have been confused one for the other in the book Agent Zigzag since about 2008 - and our family protests ignored.

History is created by the "authorities" on a subject, and it really isnt worth the effort to intervene.

The MIC data is taken directly from the TNA catalogue listings, so while I hate to admit it, the blame for that cannot be laid at the door of Lives...

So if a correction was made at TNA would it automatically be reflected in Lives, or would it require a second manual intervention?

Unfortunately the "Lives" site is just no fun at all. I fear it will fall into sad disuse rather quickly without some major tweaks.

IMHO this was possibly a good idea but badly executed. Can it be modified and saved? I rather doubt that because the loss of face (and projected revenue?) to some folk involved would be beyond countenancing.

I was super excited to make an account to add the information i have about my great uncle-in-law but i cant log in as it says my email belongs to another account....i know my personal email has not been hacked and is too unusual for anyone to quess. Very strange and off putting

I have received yet another routine and not relevant reply to the transcription error problem. The problems reported dont seem to be examined properly, and if they are not read and understood by the help staff, they cannot be addressed and corrected.