Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Up To The Waist In Mud

PhilB

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

I know that conditions in trenches were often terrible. I`ve spoken to enough survivors to know how bad it got. They were wet through for days. I do wonder though to what extent the "up to the waist" description can be taken as typical. Soldiers are good at making the best of conditions and no man would stay in mud or water up to the waist any longer than necessary. And just how long could a man without waders be immersed to the waist in cold water without serious problems? And would wearing waders make it bearable for extended times?

I would expect the frequency to be dictated by location, time of year and weather conditions. You are quite right no-one would want to spend long up to the waist in mud and water but of the incidents I have read, they didn't have a choice and had to wait for assistance to extricate them as they were stuck fast and couldn't get out unaided. Some were sucked under and many drowned.

I think I have read and seen pics of soldiers in rubber waders. Whether these wer issued when conditions worstened or before they went in I am not sure.

I think I have read and seen pics of soldiers in rubber waders. Whether these wer issued when conditions worstened or before they went in I am not sure.

They did try issuing trews or trousers and wellies in the trenches at one time (to kilted troops) but they were deemed as pretty useless as the mud was much higher and the wellies were sucked off the feet much easier than boots.

They did try issuing trews or trousers and wellies in the trenches at one time (to kilted troops) but they were deemed as pretty useless as the mud was much higher and the wellies were sucked off the feet much easier than boots.

I think they were waders, secured overthe shoulders.

I think they were waders, secured overthe shoulders.

Perhaps both were used by different troops at different times but wellingtons were certainly issued, used and abandoned.

Perhaps both were used by different troops at different times but wellingtons were certainly issued, used and abandoned.

Maybe replaced by waders?!!

Maybe replaced by waders?!!

Not that I have seen. They didn't stay in the trousers long and reverted back to kilts as the bare legs were easier to scrape off the mud and clean. I can't see them wearing waders with kilts nor seen that mentioned. However the great thing about The Forum is that someone can always come up with the unexpected :)