Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain J C Routh, Cheshire Regiment, Killed 6th May 1915

David Ridgus

Folks

I am researching two men who have Memorials in St.Michael's, Tilehurst. One is Reginald Cobb about whom I have found out quite a bit. However the other, Captain John Cyril Routh, who was the son of the then Rector, is proving more elusive. I wonder if any of you knowledgeable folk could tell me in what action he may have fallen (he is commemorated on the Menin Gate)

David

The Times. 14 May 1915.

Captain J. C. Routh, 2nd Battalion Cheshire Regiment, killed in action near Ypres on May 6, was 29 years old. He was the only son of Mr Cyril Routh and Mrs Routh, of Newland House, Twickenham.

John

Service records also available at TNA -

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C1060054

Reference:WO 339/6112 Description:
Captain John Cyril ROUTH.
The Cheshire Regiment.
Date: 1914-1915 Held by: The National Archives, Kew Former references: in its original department: 11757

Folks

I am researching two men who have Memorials in St.Michael's, Tilehurst. One is Reginald Cobb about whom I have found out quite a bit. However the other, Captain John Cyril Routh, who was the son of the then Rector, is proving more elusive. I wonder if any of you knowledgeable folk could tell me in what action he may have fallen (he is commemorated on the Menin Gate)

David

Hi David,

If you PM me your email address then I can send you a copy of his photo and biography.

Robert

Service records also available at TNA -

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C1060054

Reference:WO 339/6112 Description:
Captain John Cyril ROUTH.
The Cheshire Regiment.
Date: 1914-1915 Held by: The National Archives, Kew Former references: in its original department: 11757

Thank you John I hope to go to Kew over the Christmas holidays and will now know where to look. Much appreciated

David

Hi David,

If you PM me your email address then I can send you a copy of his photo and biography.

Robert

Pictures and biography received with thanks.

As ever GWF members come up trumps!

David

Hi David,

Robert

Robert

As you can see from the attached the Sunday School made good use of your information. It made our part of the service really moving.

Thank you again

David

post-66715-0-27212300-1384118306_thumb.j

Robert

As you can see from the attached the Sunday School made good use of your information. It made our part of the service really moving.

Thank you again

David

Excellent news David. It does make such a difference when it is possible to put a face to a name on such occasions.

I am delighted to have been of assistance.

Best Wishes,

Robert

The war diary will, presumably, have more details but the regimental history notes that on 5, 6 & 7 May,

2/Cheshire was in "new trenches" at Frezenberg where they "suffered badly" (presumably being shelled) and mentions that Routh was killed.

The war diary will, presumably, have more details but the regimental history notes that on 5, 6 & 7 May,

2/Cheshire was in "new trenches" at Frezenberg where they "suffered badly" (presumably being shelled) and mentions that Routh was killed.

John

Thank you. The short report Robert sent me said he was killed by shellfire, so that fits. I look forward to finding the full details at Kew

David