Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medical Terminology

Kevin Tobin

Was that where the Cottage Hospital is, Kevin? (or at least was, when I lived in Caversfield... )

No the Cottage Hospital is still there on Kings End just up from the Rugby club.

This hospital was in a building called Hometree House at the end of Launton Road at it's junction with London Road. It is now old peoples flats.

Fun in the snow!

I would have thought there was a good chance of another injury!!

post-16197-0-91288600-1385227626_thumb.j

post-16197-0-39603200-1385227705_thumb.j

Ah yes, I remember the one. Thanks for that Kevin!

• 4 months later...

Hello All, I'm a first time poster. I have a copy of my Grandad's Army Form B. 103, the document has the following entries:

Date From whom received Record of promotion, reduction etc etc Place of casualty Date Remarks etc

11-5-17 VC 15 Bde Admitted Hospital Field 5-5-17 B.213

5-5-17 12 Gen Ba ?CJ foot (L) 5-5-17 a36

5-5-17 22 CCS 5-5-17 a36

wo list 8 Btty Hos To England

per HS 'St Denis' 7-5-17 ??? 3083

Are any of you gurus able to enlighten me as to what the injury may have been or information regarding any of the text I've highlighted in red. The 'From whom received on 11-5-17 could be OC 15 Bde and the injury to the foot may be ICT as mentioned earlier in this thread but what does that actually mean? I'm thinking it must have been serious for Grandad to get a Blighty Ticket and be on a hospital ship back to England within 2 days of receiving the injury. Grandad's movements after the injury are very hard to read after his return to England so I cannot tell, with any certainty, when he returned to France. If anyone is able to help me out further I can try and scan the page concerned but I only have a photocopy which came from an unknown source a couple of years ago. Many Thanks.

Welcome,

A copy of the document would be helpful.

Even more helpful would be his name service number and regiment if known.

The more info you can give the more help you are likely to get.

I have come across ICT several times, with 'Inflamed Connective Tissue' probably my best guess. The modern-day equivalents being such problems as plantar fasciitis, osteochondritis, Morton's metatarsalgia, undisplaced metatarsal stress ('march') fractures, etc, etc.

Medical documentation of this era tends to be more descriptive than diagnostic. Don't forget that clinical knowledge and diagnostic imaging was nowhere near modern standards, and predated modern treatments (antibiotics being one example).

We still use some old acronyms, eg "PUO" (pyrexia of unknown origin) to this day, but only if all diagnostic strategies have been exhausted. At the time of WW1, however, this 'diagnosis' was much more common because it was used to describe illness.

As a result, it is very difficult (especially for non-medics) to ascertain or understand descriptions/diagnoses from these very brief and shorthand records.

Thanks for the replies so far. I've managed to get the document uploaded so please take a look.

CarylW - you may well be right because Rouen is mentioned a little further down the page.

Thanks

post-109333-0-73448900-1397686710_thumb.

I think you're right Diane. The F in the entry is the same as the F in RFA.

12 Canadian Field Ambulance is a reserve unit now based in British Columbia, their web page says that the unit participated in WW1 but there are no other details

No. 12 Canadian Field Ambulance
Background Information Organized at Winnipeg in March 1916 under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel H. F. Gordon. Authorization published in General Order 69 of 15 July 1916. Left Montreal 23 June 1916 aboard SCANDINAVIAN. Arrived in England 3 July 1916. Strength: 10 officers, 235 other ranks. Arrived in France 12 August 1916. 4th Canadian Division. Demobilized at Toronto in May 1919. Disbanded by General Order 211 of 15 November 1920.

Thanks johnboy.

My wife and I were looking at the document again last night, trying to decipher the handwriting. We noticed at on 3-6-18 Grandad was admitted to 15 CCS for ????? Influenza.

15Casualty Clearing Station. The CCS moved about a lot. I will see if I can find where they were at that time.

I have it listed as EBBLINGHEM 30/9/17 - 11/5/18

AFFRIGUES 27/6/18 - 30/6/18

Can't pin it down to 3/6/18. Doubt they were out of action for 47 days.

• 1 year later...
  • Admin

Malaria was in ? 52nd General Hosp. Salonika

The rest of the record mentions Malaria, but I thought that said something else - need new glasses.

Thanks